Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Raw Feeding: everything you need to know!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by katiefranke, Jul 11, 2010.

1. kipling2536

kipling2536 PetForums Junior

Me again......feeding them a frozen raw food would be preferable and more convenient for me as we are carers for two octagenarians as I said, and we are a vegetarian family. Any advice or recommendations of successful alternatives to Nature's Instinct, gratefully accepted.

Thanks again
    Amanda

#1741 kipling2536, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. LowBobby

LowBobby PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Some weeks ago I found this and I dont know if is correct... what u think about?

beefy chicken bones?

3. LowBobby

LowBobby PetForums Newbie

my best wishes for your recovery

4. Conor Brady

Conor Brady PetForums Newbie

Hey guys. The whole mixing thing is dreadfully confused. It stems from when dry fed dogs were fed a heap of fresh meat and they barfed it up. Folk concluded that you can't mix the two. But you absolutely can. I mean, wouldn't this "different digestive times" thing popped up in humans at some stage? Cheese on crackers? A ham sandwich etc. The truth is dogs are shown to digestively condition to dry food. Their stomach acids rise from a normal carnivorous pH1.5 to pH2.5 (that's ten times more basic.... the same pH we omnivores have). Reason being these acids suit the enzymes and acids released before dinner necessary for a high cereal, plant based and nearly zero meat meal (that's all the gurgling and squirting you hear in furry bellies before din dins!). If you lob in a heap of fresh meat it mightn't digest all that well. The dog will bring it up rather than kill himself pushing it though his intestines undigested!

The best advice for dogs starting on a fresh diet is probably to do it slowly, bit one meal, bit more the next. Give him time to adjust. That's what we advise over here, no puking! This has the added benefit of out-smarting picky eaters - the first time you have calamari you don't want to the squid!!! (particularly proud of that one!!).

5. marasmum

marasmum PetForums Senior

Hiya. Can I ask a daft question re raw. We have just started Casper on raw and he is loving it so far. Today he has had his first proper raw Marrowbone, he has enjoyed it for an hour and has now gone for a snooze and it isn't 'finished'.

So, now for the daft question, what do I do with it now?? After all it is raw meat. Do I put it in the fridge for later/tomorrow? Or bin?

For info it was a frozen then defrosted bone from Naturemenu.

Thank you :)

6. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I tend to throw them away once they have been abandoned, but mainly because they fight over them. Dex gets bored after he has scooped out all the marrow and doesn't care about the bone, until Lola decides that she cares....

marasmum likes this.
  7. marasmum

Lol :) Certainly in the past when I have been fostering, anything unfinished food/treat was taken away - but tbh that rarely happened!. Casper is on his lonesome (for now ;) ) and he has only eaten half of it (the marrow and the meat surrounding it), so it seems a lot of money and a waste - as I bought at my local petshop - for something that will be discarded after an hour. I am slowly trying to get him to chew smaller things as he tries to swallow things whole, so this was great for him; he happily nibbled away, rather than full on crunch/chew/swallow.

8. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

I would pick it up and put in the fridge, so you can get it out again when you want him to have it.

I leave them out with Muttly, but I think this may not be good for him as he isn't as fussed and I wonder if this is because they are always hanging around. So I will now be using them as more of a treat. Something he can't have all the time, in the hope he will be more excited about it.

marasmum likes this.
  9. marasmum

...just back from work......

Thank you. Well, I put it in the fridge, but......many many moons ago I did advanced food hygiene so am still a bit OTT :eek: when it comes to raw meat (one of the reasons I have resisted feeding raw) But I shall take a deep breath and carry on :)

AND most importantly, no ill affects to eating the bone reported by OH while I was at work, so all good...so far

Muttly and MiffyMoo like this.
  10. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

My favourite thing about raw feeding is the tiny, hard poops; so easy to pick up! If his poos start getting too white, then cut back on the bone

marasmum and Muttly like this.
  11. Conor Brady

Conor Brady PetForums Newbie

Hey Marasmum. I personally wouldn't be putting bones back in my fridge for hygiene reasons either. That's raw meat that's been rolled around on the ground, flies laying eggs on it. There's no need. I'd personally leave them in the garden (they lose in interest in a dry bone, especially when they know a new one is days away!) or throw them out when they lose interest in them. It's great you've started them on bones but those bg marrow bones are a divil, they're diamond hard (leg, supporting bone) so much harder to chew / crunch, will be left in your garden and crack teeth. When you get a bit braver try feeding smaller bones more appropriate for the dog, like chicken legs, duck necks, lamb carcass. They'll safely consume all of these, getting great nutrition and cleaning teeth and ridding you of the whole worry of what to do with them! More on appropriate bone feeding here hwww.dogsfirst.ie/raw-faq/how-to-feed-a-dog-bones/. There's a whole lot of fear when initially jumping to feeding them fresh, largely as you don't have the support of your vet. But don't worry. If you ask any doubter what exact percentages to calcium / protein tehy gave the kids last week they wouldn't have a clue. It's fear that kept you buying that bag of dry food (and flea and worm treatments for dogs with no fleas or worms, and annually boosting already vaccinated dogs against the advice of the top vet immunologists). It's great when it's gone!

marasmum likes this.
  12. Muttly

Meh, I put it in a tied up bag or a sealed tub. We are all ok.

marasmum and MiffyMoo like this.
  13. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Muttly and marasmum like this.
  14. marasmum

Thanks all. tbh I am actually (perversely for me) enjoying the process of learning about raw feeding him. He certainly is enjoying emptying my pocket with the Naturesmenu range, he hasn't refused any of it, clearly enjoys it and seems more satisfied. I am also finding it better at controlling his intake - in balance with his increase in exercise, so hopefully we can get his weight etc to what it should be. He is only a kilo or two over what he should be, so nothing dramatic really, but with his joints we would prefer him leaner than t'other way.

I will get braver in terms of what we feed him raw and will venture into mixing my own etc, and yes, I am trying to get him to chew smaller things, but I think that will take time as he doesn't seem to like 'chewy' things, so for example he was more interested in licking the marrow out than the surrounding meat. He had a nibble at the meat, but anything stringy/chewy he had a go, and I had to watch him carefully as he has a tendency just to swallow, but he left it and went back to the 'easy' bit :)

The only thing I have found that doesn't really suit him, is Pork. Other than that he appears to have a cast iron stomach; given the stuff he has helped himself to in the early days, and still would given the chance!

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement. Cannot believe after all these years we are only just looking at raw feeding, hey ho, we live and learn eh?

MiffyMoo and Muttly like this.
  15. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I used to love doing it DIY, when I had Balto, but Dex thinks that eating anything that looks vaguely animal like is sacrilege, so I had to get him the minces. Thankfully he has started enjoying chicken carcass, and will occasionally gnaw on a rib or a marrow bone, as I was despairing of him ever getting any teeth cleaning done

16. Muttly

I despair sometimes at Muttly too. He doesn't like Duck Necks, (thanks boy I have a kilo of them in my freezer) :rolleyes: Takes ages to eat half a chicken wing. He's squeemish over offal and doesn't always like egg, so yeah he's not the best raw feeding candidate o_O, but he does do well on it and it's just been a challenge finding the things he does love and will eat. But we are there, pretty much.

He loves a good variety of meat, mince or chunked, he likes lamb bones, sprats, chicken/turkey hearts and I find ways to get the offal into him. He also does like a raw carrot which helps the teeth :)

marasmum and MiffyMoo like this.
  17. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Oh, I forgot to add that Dex will happily hoover up a lovely raw steak from my local organic butcher.... Unfortunately for him, I have not won the lottery, so he will have to start selling his little furry body if he wants that sort of meal every day :D

18. marasmum

hahahaha these made me chuckle.

Well, Casper happily munches carrots and apples, and the vet reckons his teeth are fine.. Casper also loves raw egg....however...the smell that follows :Wideyed is just plain nasty...

(And it should be noted that I have NEVER given Casper a raw egg, just as I am leaving for work in the evening, after my OH has done something to p1$$ me off. Nope, never. ;))

MiffyMoo and Muttly like this.
  19. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Hahaha, revenge is a dish served... raw

marasmum likes this.
  20. Muttly

:Hilarious love that!

marasmum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice