Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw Feeding: everything you need to know!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by katiefranke, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Not exactly what you are after but I use the Natures Menu all meat blocks. The amount of veg in their complete range upset my dog's tummy.
    The blocks are 400g so work out a bit cheaper plus you are paying for meat and not veg. I work on 80% muscle meat, 10% bone and 10% offal. I buy 4 varieties. Beef, Tripe, Rabbit and Chicken, Lamb and Chicken. Add 5% liver and 5% kidney to each meal. It's easier as she's a small dog. Some give weekly offal meals. The blocks with chicken contain 10% bone and on bone free days, I give her a chicken wing which provides to compensate. She has carrot everyday, bits of apple and occasional veg.
    I have done a few costings and for me this works out as cheap as ordering and paying delivery. With a bigger dog, you would be able to order in bulk and take advantage of free delivery.

Hopefully someone who does full DIY will comment soon and be more helpful to you :)

2. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I have done complete DIY but I now add a couple of minces for variety where I can't get a particular protein easily.

You probably already know that you feed approx 2% - 3% of dog's weight, but adjust depending on whether your dog loses or puts on weight. My dog is fairly stable on a bit less than 3%. As Mum2Heidi says, 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% offal (half liver, half other offal). It doesn't have to be exact proportions at each meal, offal can be given once a week, once a fortnight, as a full meal, whatever suits your dog. Also, that's a guide, adjust to suit your dog. My dog can't have anywhere near the 10% bone as she gets very hard to pass poops so I give her a lesser amount of bone but compensate for the calcium by giving a supplement that has calcium in it. I sometimes make up a blended veggie mix and add that too.

Variety can be as much as you want, different meats and fish provide different vitamins and minerals. My dog gets turkey, green tripe, pork, heart, salmon, white fish, liver, kidney (all chunks), mackerel (whole when I'm lucky enough to be given it), tinned sardines, pilchards and mackerel. The minces I get are duck, rabbit and venison as I can't get them easily or at a reasonable price. She can't have chicken as she's sensitive to it. So it's up to you how much variety you wish to give. I'm sure there are other proteins available which I don't give.

3. Woodie73

Woodie73 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm new to the site, but really need your advice. I am a border collie, 6 years old. He is semi-active, I've walks/runs a few miles a day, everyday. He is seriously overweight, and over the years we have tried everything; diet, hydrotherapy, and now a couple of months ago we switched to raw. He loves the new diet, but is still gaining weight!

He is 38.9 kg! We feed him approx 500-600g per day, split into 2 meals I've 300-350g morning, and 200-250g at supper time.

We feed him a mixture of chicken thighs and chicken legs, cubed steak, pork ribs, minced beef, heart, and the occasional kidney and liver (in moderation). He also gets a bowl of milk once/twice a week.

He doesn't get much titbits, but he is a moocher, so he does get the odd corner of biscuit, but not everyday, and not enough to make him the size he is. The vet is no help, just trying to put him back on a low fat kibble (which we tried before, unsuccessfully), and nagging at us to get his weight down, like we haven't tried!! I asked for his thyroid to be tested, but the blood tress results came back as normal.

Please, what are we doing wrong? The vet wants to cut his food again, but he is already bordering on hungry, and is on loxicom for joint pain. I really need all the advice I can get, I've read all the forum comments, followed all the links, and read a couple of books, but I must be getting something wrong or he'd be losing weight by now.

All comments very welcome and gratefully received. Thanks Woodie73

4. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Hi Woodie73 and welcome to the forum.

He does sound like he is getting quite a bit of food. My rottie bitch weighs 40 kg (she could do with losing a couple too). She only gets 100g of mince in the morning with some veggies added for bulk and another 100g in the evening which includes some heart chunks and offal. She also gets a chicken carcass every few days (I reduce the meat on that day) or 100g of lamb ribs. Her total for the day is 300-350g. She is walked once a day for 60-90 minutes and does a lot of chasing around with my pointers and loves swimming but it is a constant battle to keep her weight down.

5. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Not a simple answer as you already know. Something to consider is if the chicken thighs and legs have skin, remove it. You can try to bulk up meals with vegetables instead of increasing meat. You may also want to try making the dog work for food more, diverting attention from stomach. Frozen Kongs are good for this. At the end though, if you cannot get weight off, it is better to try other things, even low fat kibble. There are plenty on the market and some I would consider using personally if needed.

6. Smiler33

Smiler33 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I wonder if I can pick your brains please. I have a lovely 19 months Whippet called Whiz and he is thriving - we have a fun time together out walking, have started Agility twice a week and we love our most favourite thing which is snuggling on the sofa. I also have an almost 11 year old JRT 'Pip' who has skin allergies and IBS.

I feed Millies Wolfheart and Whiz is doing well on it. I imagine he's probably 16kg; haven't weighed him but I'd say he's put a bit of weight on since being castrated. Pip is around 7.5kg but has slowed down a lot over the last few months; she has a daily steroid to help with the IBS and she also has a limp in her front right leg so can't walk as far as she used to but is happy. To me though the food looks boring - I have been wondering about going down the natural raw food diet and feeding something like Natures Menu/Nutriment and bones until I get confident enough to follow a 'proper' Barf diet.

Am I being stupid by putting human emotions on this? Part of me is saying if it isn't broke don't try to fix it but another part is saying the dogs would enjoy mince/bones like dogs used to have and are bred to have?

I hope you don't think I'm asking a daft question but would just appreciate your advice.

7. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

What would be daft is to ponder and not get other people's thoughts :) Sure other people think the same, just never ask.

My opinion is if you are not sure, I wouldn't go the raw route. You may want to think about the possibility of having a "raw day" on occasion though if you want to make yourself feel better/give your dogs a treat ;)

8. Smiler33

Smiler33 PetForums Newbie

Thank you Goblin.

#1728 Smiler33, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  9. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

If you do go down the raw route, remember, avoid overfeeding and go slowly with introducing different meat types.

10. Erisda

Erisda PetForums Newbie

Hi all, been a while since I've been online but mainly due to my now 11 month old beagles health. Ever since I got hi, at 3/4 months nothing agreed with him tried different high quality kibble chicken and rice and several vet trips. Finally sat down and while he wasn't losing weight he was itchy with scabby skin and ears and always chewing his feet.
    I have always been intrigued by a raw diet for him and while I had tried natural instinct once before I put his vomiting down to just his digestion was so bad from several months of antibiotics.
    So 3 weeks ago I went out bought some low fat yogurt, chicken and rice and started trying to build up the probiotic and things in his gut. Now as of 2 weeks and going strong he is on raw chicken usually either sliced up breast or wings which he chews wonderfully , a small handful of steamed veg or rice and recently started adding some beef cuts.
    Now I'm sort of at a loss as to how to proceed. His skin is no longer inflamed and itchiness is non existent no more paw chewing and I can finally pick up the poo rather than having to scoop and no longer smells.
    I'm just wondering how best to proceed, as I live in Northern Ireland so it seems a lot of companies are unable to send products to me without expensive postage.
    If it's any help Charlie is 11 months, around 20kg though may Be closer to 25 as he is very large for his breed, about the size of small lab but no excess fat on him, just a solid muscley boy

Thank you all in advance x

11. RAW MAX

RAW MAX PetForums Newbie

I would cut the food down even more, he is overweight so he will be hungry. Try giving more raw bones to keep him busy instead of eating :) Some dogs have a higher metabolism than others, yours might have a slow one so needs even less food :)

12. RAW MAX

RAW MAX PetForums Newbie

Go on to the raw! :) Your dogs will love it and I bet those skin allergies will disappear, coat will look better and overall better health. Kids can live off mcdonalds, doesn't mean it is best for them :)

13. Amanda Allcock

Amanda Allcock PetForums Newbie

Does anyone have a landywoods feeding guide? I have a 6 month old English setter they I want to move over to raw. He is current 16kg and should be around 25kg when fully grown and I don't know how much he should have. He's currently on akela kibble but he's stopped eating it.I used to feed my cockers landywoods a few years ago,but he's a fair bit bigger than they ever were.

14. DirtyGertie

I've not used Landywoods nor do I have their guide, but is it any different from all the other advice out there about raw feeding?

Here's a link to The Dog's Dinner by Ann Ridyard, the page should be for feeding puppies but as I'm on my tablet it looks different from when I look at this site on my PC so I hope it works OK http://dogsdinner2.m.webs.com/site/...1&fw_sig_site=85465967&fb_sig_network=fw#2313

I quite like her site, have a look round and hopefully you'll find some good advice.

Hope that helps.

15. Amanda Allcock

Amanda Allcock PetForums Newbie

Then you, that's great :)

16. Marlo.8

Marlo.8 PetForums Newbie

Hi I'm new to this and going to be new to raw feeding. I will be getting my puppy very soon she's a American akita and I was hoping you lot could help me with managing her diet.

Here's my shopping list (from landywoods) :
    454g x20 of tripe mince
    454g ×20 of chicken and salmon mince
    454g x20 of offal mix (25% beef, 25%heart, 25% lungs, 25% offal)
    5kg of chicken wings
    5kg of Turkey necks
    4 x veil ribs

I was thinking this would last me a month and I was planning to mix the chicken n salmon with the tripe and start her of with that for a week then introduce her to the offal mix mince for another week and then mix the remaining chicken n salmon with tripe and offal mix and give her that for the rest of the month.

I would give her 3 meals a day and I was planning to give her 1 Turkey neck and chicken wing in the morning and when she finished that I would give her a 1/3 of her meal (mince) and then another 1/3 in the afternoon and then the last meal in the evening and before she goes bed I would give her another neck and wing. On Sundays I would replace the neck and wing with a veal rib which I would cut in half n give her half in the morning and half before she goes bed.

Please give me suggestion to improve this plan or if it's wrong please let me know. Thank you.

17. DirtyGertie

I don't know how much research you have done into raw feeding but I suggest you go to page 1 of this thread and read the first few posts.

Also, here's a link to The Dog's Dinner by Ann Ridyard, the page should be for feeding puppies but as I'm on my tablet it looks different from when I look at this site on my PC so I hope it works OK
    http://dogsdinner2.m.webs.com/site/...1&fw_sig_site=85465967&fb_sig_network=fw#2313 It's an excellent site and well worth taking a good look round.

You should then be able to work out how much your pup needs to be fed and you'll know the ratios of meat, offal and bone to give.

You need to start with a single protein only, usually chicken, for about a week. If everything is OK then introduce a new protein alongside the chicken. Do that for a week. Then introduce a third protein alongside the first two. You need to do this in order to know if your dog has any sensitivity to any particular protein. If you feed a mix of chicken, salmon and tripe from the start and your dog has a reaction, you're not going to know what she is reacting to. I know it's exciting having a new puppy and wanting the best for her, and you want to give her a good diet, but you need to do the boring, slow, gradual introduction of each protein.

I would also build up the bone gradually, she needs to learn how to eat it as some dogs (mine included) are greedy and will just take on crunch swallow. Hold the bone to start with until she knows what to do. Be careful not to overdo the bone, mine can't have anywhere near the usual 10% as she then has great difficulty pooping.

In a few weeks you'll find you have a great varied diet which your dog will love. Good luck.

18. Marlo.8

Marlo.8 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your reply and yeah i realised I need to do more researching. I will get back to you when I do and let you know the new plan so you can further assist me on that. Anyway thanks again.

19. Marlo.8

Marlo.8 PetForums Newbie

If it's not too much to ask could you give me a like a shopping list of the things I should buy from landywoods to start everything of. Thanks.

20. kipling2536

kipling2536 PetForums Junior

Hello all
    It's been a while since I posted on here.
    Last year, we gave our two doggies (pictured) a go on the frozen Natures Instinct raw food. We gave it a good go, we really did, but our Spitz is a funny eater at the best of times, in fact he's not food motivated at all, and he often wouldn't eat the raw. The Chinese Crested is like a goat, eating most things and he took better to it but occasionally wouldn't eat a flavour. Because I have anxiety and am a worrier anyways, this started to freak me out, I didn;t like to think they were going hungry and we caved in and transitioned them back on Naturo wet food and kibble.

Last summer and winter was rough for us as a family, my dad passed away in December and we moved away with our two mums to a new life. I'm now pretty busy with the oldies and the thought of paying so much attention to what I may have to prepare and plan to back to raw is rather intimidating.
    Last weekend, the crestie had vomiting and runny poo. A trip to the vet and some meds cleared that up. We fed them on boiled rice and chicken for around 4-5 days and they are back on the normal again now. The CC poo is still a little loose.

Also, I am worried that should one of them need to stay at the vets overnight, we go on hols and have to take raw, frozen with us, etc I will panic about making sure they will be ok.

Sorry for the ramble, I'm wanting to look at the raw diet again, and have been reading through the posts on here, but am just unsure.

Apologies again, I'm all of a tizzy. Thanks.

Amanda

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice