Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw Feeding: everything you need to know!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by katiefranke, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Blobbet

Blobbet PetForums Member

Lol , you'd think they hadn't been fed for a week the way they ate their dinner tonight!! :eek: :lol:
    Thought id best get a delivery on the way for more since they seem to be enjoying it :D

2. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Yeay! :thumbup: Glad its all working out well :)

3. chelleANDlottie

chelleANDlottie PetForums Junior

hi just to confirm i didnt give her 10% she only had a very small amount, but i thought she was not eating enough,
    chelle

4. katiefranke

ah well every dog is different and the 2-3% is only a guide, so if you feel like she should be having more and she wants to eat it there is no prob with increasing to more as you go on - actually smaller dogs tend to have faster metabolisms so sometimes need more than the 3% - whereas large dogs often slower so need the lower % funnily enough.

have you carried on feeding any more raw? hows she doing? :)

5. SlingDash

SlingDash PetForums Senior

To be honest, I haven't disected the leg to see what's inside.

It's a turkey drumstick they have, and I assumed it was one large thigh bone inside, but could be wrong. I will cut one up next time and have a look.

Whatever the case, the shard of bone I found was at least two inches long, had razor sharp ends, and would've been swallowed had I not taken it off him. It was from half way through the feed, so it wasn't from one of the 'lumpy' ends of the joint - just from the middle of the femur (if that's what a turkey's is called...?) itself.

Turkey bones DO splinter, and I'm not too happy about feeding chicken carcasses either now! It is simply not right to say that cooked bones splinter and raw bones do not. We have fed various raw bones so far, and have seen large, sharp splinters in all the dogs' poohs. Have you seen a chicken's rib cage? The bones are like huge, razor sharp knitting needles, and I doubt very much that a dog would think too hard about chewing those up into tiny little pieces before swallowing them.

Despite all this whittling, we are still going to feed our pack on raw, meaty bones, because we think it is the best thing to do in the abscence of anything clearly better that's commercially produced - with the exception, perhaps, of Natural Instinct products.

We won't be feeding anything tonight, because we came home to piles of vomit and diarrhoea all over the house at lunch time, so something's not right with one of the dogs. I sincerely hope it's nothing to do with a huge splinter of raw bone that one of them's swallowed!

**EDIT**

Not sure if we're all talking about the same thing here, but the Turkey drumsticks we're feeding are sold in ASDA and TESCO near us. I have just cut open a semi-frozen drumstick and, as far as I can tell, there is just one large bone in the entire thing. They are not like the whole chicken thighs/legs you buy with a 'knee' joint in the middle - they are just the top portion of the turkey's thigh with no joint.

I am completely comfortable feeding our older Collie on raw chicken pieces, because she takes her time and gives them a damn good chewing. Even though we seperate the two Labs, they both 'wolf' down their joints as fast as they can - which is what's VERY worrying!

#125 SlingDash, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  6. katiefranke

Sorry slingdash, I dont know what to say to help your worries...its something you either come to terms with or you dont :(

I guess don't feed the turkey legs ? ... you could find if they are the really cheap ones they are random as to how old they are and can be more brittle the older they are - so some might be ok and some not so much?

If dogs bolt food, the answer is always to increase the size of the lumps they are eating, but then you are always going to get shards of bone from some types of bone...just take it away if you dont want them to eat it. I never leave maggie unsupervised when she eats anyway.

7. Blobbet

Blobbet PetForums Member

Well i wasnt expecting this lol...

Today is their 4th day on raw and in that time Charlie has only done 3 poos and Tammy has only done 1...in 4 days !!!! :eek: (normally i would be clearing up about 4+ A DAY so thats quite a difference!)
    Take note >>> i havent fed them ANY BONES <<< only chicken breast fillet and boneless chicken thighs
    I thought if anything they would have runny poos :confused:
    Also the poos they have done were not hard or anything just normal :confused:

I was particularly concerned about Tammy so i put a teaspoon of olive oil with her dinner tonight as read that can help (dont have any pumpkin or other things that ive read can help so had to make do)
    It seems like their not actually constipated but just taking ages to digest it or something ...
    Hope Tammy does one later today :( might try get some butternut squash tomorrow as it has similar effect as pumpkin apparently and give that a try.

I guess theyre just having a bit of trouble digesting it but that does make me worry as the reason dogs arent affected by the bacteria is because they're supposed to digest it too quick for bacteria to effect them ...

Has this ever happened to anyone else that started raw?? :confused:

Sorry for the long post :eek:

8. ploddingon

ploddingon PetForums Senior

I know how you feel, I too find the raw bone diet very worrying. I have tried Bobby on a couple of chicken legs and have now stopped because I was worried. One splintered, but the other he chewed small enough till he could fit it all in his mouth but was too big to swallow.

I got worried about him choking, so have given up on the bones, it's just not worth the worry.

I now feed him NaturesMenu tinned dog food, which he absolutely loves and will eat without me having to add any raw meat to it now, which is a rare event for him (fussy eater)

Natural Dog Food Pouches | Junior, Adult, Light & Senior Ranges

I am still going to give him the odd meal of lambs heart, mince, Prize Choice etc, so he will have some raw, but just dont feel I can take the risk with him, and the NatureMenu seems a good option for a commercial dog food.

9. katiefranke

This is quite common when first starting out - I seem to remember maggie didnt go for about 3 days and the cats even longer on their first week! but then they became more regular once they had been on it a couple of weeks.

Now maggie goes once or twice a day.

The reason for the poops being much smaller and less frequent on a raw diet is actually because they are NOT having trouble digesting the food - in fact its a sign that their bodies are utilising much more of this food than they did on commercial and so there is a lot less waste to come out the other end! :)

I found increasing the fat content slightly - so with some skin/fat or by adding some salmon oil - did the trick when needed in the beginning. But dont overdo or it you will have the other problem!

10. Blobbet

Blobbet PetForums Member

Thought id take them out for another quick walk just now to see if it would get Tammy to go and after doing a MASSIVE loud fart she finally did a poo yaaaayyyy :lol:
    Hopefully she wont go another 3 days without one!
    feel really relieved now :D
    I wonder if it was the olive oil that helped or maybe she was just ready to go at last :p

11. Blobbet

Blobbet PetForums Member

Oh right! i thought that they would normally get runny poos to start with so i was quite concerned :eek:
    Thanks for putting my mind at ease :)
    I thought it was weird how she had about 3 days worth of food all inside her and yet she didnt even have a bloated belly or anything lol was thinking 'where the hell has it all gone!!' :lol:

12. Plabebob

Plabebob PetForums Senior

I really need some help on this. I really want to switch Tron to a raw diet but I don't drive or have any transport really. The boyfriend is vegetarian & whilst he's happy deal with meat in the kitchen I really don't feel comfortable subjecting him to an abattoir or wholesalers.

My ideal solution would be to order online, but I just can't seem to find anywhere that will deliver to here (Manchester) especially green tripe seems to be really really hard to get hold of.

Any suggestions really gratefully received!

13. Blobbet

Blobbet PetForums Member

This place is good and they sell green tripe too :) i plan to use them myself once my 2 are settled on raw.

The Dog Food Company - Products Page

Nearly everyone in this house is veggie/vegan also and i too have limited transport so i order everything online :thumbup:
    You can get alot of stuff delivered from supermarkets and anything else you need could be ordered from that link , i think they deliver all over UK :)

14. Plabebob

Plabebob PetForums Senior

Wow thanks! That's great. Can't wait to get him started eeep!!!

15. oveione

oveione PetForums VIP

Hi well as you know sassy loves her raw ! well yesterday we became the new owners of an 8 week old springerxlabrador and he is on wagg!! well tried him with some raw chicken and he loved it so my question is will it be ok to switch him over to raw now? and how do i go about bones ? will post pics of our new addition later.

16. katiefranke

Thats where I suggest too - they do loads more than they list online too - if you ask for anything you want they can pretty much get it in if you give them a bit of notice and they will prepare everything how you like it (whole, chunks, minced etc) :)

17. katiefranke

hi oveione, congrats on your new pup :)

I would highly recommend joining the Yahoo list RawPup:

There is a load of great info on there with lots of experienced members to help you along.

I would personally switch pup straight over if he is liking it and start with chicken wings as your bones, as they are pretty easy for pups to get the hang of, you will likely be able to move very quickly onto whole chicken quarters as the bone-in meals once he gets the hang of the wings.

Stick with chicken for the first week or so to make sure he is ok on it and then start adding variety very gradually... you pretty much need to feed exactly the same as you would for an adult dog, just size appropriately and split across 3-4 meals a day at this stage. The only thing that pups tend to need a little more of is a slightly higher bone content. But join that group and you will be just fine :thumbup:

Good luck and looking forward to seeing those piccies! :D

18. Blobbet

Blobbet PetForums Member

Gave my 2 their first thigh with a bone in yesterday :thumbup:
    i held onto the bones so they could eat it a bit easier and so i could get the bone off them if i needed to,
    They both really enjoyed them and got on really well with it :D cant believe how quickly Tammy chomped through her bone once she finally got to it lol,
    Charlie ate most of the meat off and then wanted a break lol , after few mins she went back to it and finished it all off :thumbup: Charlie was actually more careful with her bone than Tammy was !

Toilets have been normal so far apart from that they only do 1-2 a day each :) (i suppose that will be the new normal though!)
    Gave them a boneless meal today and they're going to have another thigh with bone tomorrow :p

Just thought id give a little update :eek:

19. katiefranke

its sounds l like they are doing great! yeay :thumbup:

well done, you are doing really well with them.

oh yes, 1-2 times a day is definitely fine, absolutely normal. many raw fed dogs only go once a day to be honest! Just depends how much bone you are feeding etc. i normally find if maggie hasnt had a bone meal for a couple of days she uses more of the food. bones form a bit of bulk so they go a bit more the more bonier food they eat.

keep it up, good to read your updates :)

20. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Great and they will have pearly white teeth forever - no need for dentals at the vets. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice