Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw Feeding: everything you need to know!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by katiefranke, Jul 11, 2010.

1. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Thank you :D

dont worry nothing is a stupid question! :)

well when i portion up the medium size chickens I get, I do a leg and thigh quarter which are around 230g or so (so a meal for maggie).

however, if you mean just the thigh with bone in, i give these to the cats for their whole day allowance and so they must be just over 100g - maybe 120g (my cats leave a bit of the bone as it is a little big for them so it makes it about 100g for them)

LouJ69 likes this.
  2. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

Just thought I'd mention.... to UK members... I went to Tesco earlier.. their fresh chickens are £1.50kg...I got a huge thing for £3.35....:thumbup: Think it's halfprice!

3. katiefranke

oooo cool, thanks lozb :thumbup:

4. SlingDash

SlingDash PetForums Senior

Oh dear.

Up several times during the night for visits to the lawn with the squits for our big boy!

The other two are fine, but he was the one eating huge chunks of bone. I sincerely hope there is no blockage anywhere!

:rolleyes:

I have now read through the Raw, Meaty Bones booklet, and found the following contradiction in it:

“Poultry wings suitable for very small dogs only”

“Whole chickens make a good meal for all sizes of dog”

Which is true? I have seen lots of videos on YouTube where huge mastiffs are eating entire chicken carcasses - wings and all!

#64 SlingDash, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  5. katiefranke

lol!!! both are true - thats what I was trying to say before :D

wings on their own are a NO NO for large dogs.

wings ATTACHED to the body of the chicken in a quarter or half or whole are :thumbup:

So basically, if it is all attached, they have to chomp and tear and crunch and break it off into bits.

If it is a wing on its own, they can get it in their mouths, crunch it once and potentially gulp it down in one piece! :eek:

Get it ?? ;)

Obviously once they get to the end of the meal, they potentially have something quite small left to eat, but by that time they are in the chomping up mood and are not ravenous as they have eaten most of their meal, so are unlikely to suddenly gulp and swallow the small end bit (although sometimes it is wise to remove this last bit if you are not sure and it is an awkward and small shaped bone).

#65 katiefranke, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  6. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Hey Katie, I've just found sleeping lion's post with the piccies. I wonder if there is a way it could be added to yours other than a link?

7. SlingDash

That would be great!

Sorry Katie - I realised you'd already answered that point about wings after I'd made the post! so much to read! So much info to plough through - our heads are spinning!!!

Surely a dog can easily rip a chicken wing off the carcass, though, whcih means they would soon be chomping on that wing alone - which is not attached to tha carcass?

8. katiefranke

Well potentially yes, but in all the time I have been feeding chicken I have never seen a dog rip off and gulp a wing in one piece, they tend to use the big lump as leverage to get hold of it and start to crunch and then swallow pieces big enough to chew...and if I am ever worried I just hold the smaller pieces until maggie chomps it up...(I am slightly overprotective though so most people wont do this!) :)

9. katiefranke

Ah yes, can you send me the link and I will work out if we can combine them -I will try and put it in higher up in the thread somehow.

10. SlingDash

Any desire to tweak that opinion slightly since we came along? [​IMG]

:lol:

11. Blobbet

Blobbet PetForums Member

Firstly just want to say hi all as im new to the forum!

i have two small dogs a 6 1/2 year old yorkie and a 15 month old english toy terrier and basically am planning to start them on a raw diet in the next week or so,
    I discovered the horrors of commercial pet food only a few months ago and feel terrible that my yorkie has been fed on that rubbish her whole life ! :eek: hopefully its not too late to reverse the damage done...
    Since my discovery ive spent many hours reading alot about the raw diet and definately want to give it a try :)

I thought it would be best if i got them some raw chicken thighs without bones in to start with just for mabye 2-3 days and then give thighs with bone in just to break them in gently lol

Also i have a question about eggs, i read on quite a few sites people saying that raw egg white or something does something bad to some sort of vitamin B (cant remember the details too well lol) but was a bit concerned, also i have read that theres not really any nutritional differences of raw and cooked egg so whats peoples opinions on that? :confused:

12. SlingDash

Yep - join the club! :rolleyes:

Not sure about eggs - apart from the fact that you shouldn't feed too many. As they form such a tiny part of the diet, I can't see them doing any harm.

13. katiefranke

Hello! Welcome to the forum and glad to hear you are giving raw a go! :)

Starting with chicken is a good choice as long as your dogs have never shown a problem with this protein source. I personally started with chicken breast and thighs without bone for a couple of days and then started giving bone-in pieces after that.

Once your dog is settled on this (normally takes a few days), then I would add another protein source, maybe lamb or beef etc and feed chicken + this new protein for a further few days etc etc...building up gradually. Only adding TINY pieces of offal later on...

RAW EGGS: Regarding the eggs, if you only fed egg whites and loads of them, then you could have an issue...however, feeding whole eggs (white & yolk) would mean it balances out. We are only talking about problems if you fed masses of egg whites and nothing else!

I would suggest not feeding raw eggs for a little while though as they can make dogs a bit loose...get your dogs settled on raw and then add a whole egg crushed up with shell and all to one of their meals - perhaps share between them and see how they go.

Some dogs can tolerate a few eggs at a time, some only 1/2 an egg...so build up gradually and like everything, feed to tolerance :)

Personally, with my own dog who is 17.5kg, now that she has been on raw for quite a while, I normally try and feed 1-2 eggs per week. I give the cats 1/2 an egg between them weekly.

You dont have to feed egg at all, but they are quite a nutritious meal/addition to a meal.

#73 katiefranke, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  14. Blobbet

Blobbet PetForums Member

Thanks for the info :)

My golden rule for doing raw is gonna be 'take it slow!!' ;)
    really hope they take to it.
    I did give them a small amount of raw minced beef a few weeks ago just to see what they would do with it , Charlie (the ETT) scoffed the lot in 2 seconds ! and Tammy (yorkie) picked a bit up n spat it out n looked at charlie scoffing hers n then wolfed hers down too hehe. They even ate that only an hour after they had their breakfast and didnt even have any upset stomachs :thumbup: guess thats a good sign lol

15. katiefranke

Good plan!! :thumbup: Well good luck with it - and keep us posted.

Let us know if you have any questions or worries :)

16. m'lady

m'lady PetForums Junior

17. SlingDash

I think a vegan dog is controversial to say the VERY least, but that's for another topic. We are a household of veggie humans, but would not dream of forcing our morals onto our pack of dogs - who are carnivorous by their very nature.

We have completely given up on the raw meaty bones diet, thanks to discovering huge shards of chicken bones in several piles of pooh this week, and having come home today to a pile of sick on the carpet that was also full of sharp chicken bones from the dogs' supper last night.

We simply do not think that our dogs eating shards of bone is in any way safe, and if some harm were to come to them as a result of what we're feeding them, then we couldn't live with ourselves.

We are thinking of moving to Prize Choice frozen meats. Does an7ybody have any opinions on their products? They do frozen tripe (which we've tried, and the pack loves it!), heart chunks, meat chunks, frozen packets of rabbit, lamb, chicken and other meats etc, etc - their range is huge, and their product looks good, but we'd really appreciate other people's opinions.

We're still going to buy fresh meat from the supermarket, and are more than happy to supplement with plenty of fresh liver, kidney and heart etc, so is there anything wrong with feeding a raw meat diet but simply cutting out the bones from it?

18. katiefranke

Personally I do not rate any of the commerical minces myself as have heard a lot of bad things about many of them (gone bad, high bacteria counts, mincing increasing bacteria and depletes nutrients, dubious sources, you cant know what is going into them etc etc)...however, many people do feed them quite happily and if you wish to go down this route, just ensure that the one you choose has ground bone included.

That way you can include bone still. It is an essential part of the diet as it balances the calcium to phosphorous ratio. The only way to cut it out completely is to supplement with calcium, but this starts getting tricky and so I wouldnt recommend unless someone really had to due to a health issue etc, as you need to balance it carefully with the phosphorous intake as I said...

PS: all of the above that you describe is quite common for a dog transitioning to a raw diet, especially if they have had too much bone, or too much too quickly etc - and are signs that the dogs digestive system is not quite used to it as yet and hasnt produced the high enough level of acid in the stomach to dissolve the bone fully.

this is why i always recommend sticking to one protein source initally, feeding without bone maybe for the first few meals, then adding appropriately sized bone-in meals and building up from there...

#78 katiefranke, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  19. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

I use DAF (Durham Animal Feeds), they deliver widely and r very good quality
    Durham Animal Feeds :: DAF Petfood - Durham Animal Feeds

20. Blobbet

Blobbet PetForums Member

I think prize choice is alright to use, id say its probably just as good as the minces from anywhere else eg. DAF as mentioned before and similar places like the dog food company and lanywoods etc.
    The only thing im not sure on is the bone content as it only says 'MAY contain bones - 4g/100g' :confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice