Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw Feeding: everything you need to know!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by katiefranke, Jul 11, 2010.

1. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Thanks jesi, good info - I thought I better add about the salmon as there are people on here not in the UK...although to be honest, I was speaking with our local butcher (also a fishmonger) and he was telling me that you have to be careful with any farmed salmon too, as they are very likely to carry parasites and also have had antibiotics put in their feed :(

Personally I dont feed salmon often as it is rather expensive!! :eek:

Re the beef - do you know how long it should be frozen? I always freeze everything just because thats how I store it all, but the only thing I sometimes feed fresh is poultry...which is handy when i have forgotten to get something out the freezer for the cats! ;)

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Thankyou for this really useful thread:)

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I wonder whether that is the reason then that on the continent raw feeders are buying salmon salar - the atlantic salmon. The problem we have is that salmon in the UK is not classified by the scientific name on the packaging. Unless i am blind. :confused:

But you are right, most of the salmon to be had in the UK that comes from the pacific or the atlantic will be frozen anyhow.

4. Jesi

Jesi PetForums Junior

Oops - Of course. Forgot this isn't a UK only forum. :eek:

I didn't feed salmon either, mine never liked raw fish so stuck with tinned pilchards/mackrel/sardines.

The same as the others for beef, -20 for 24hours. I only read one case of Neospora caninum in the UK. I believe it was a Boxer fed on mince from a supermarket?? I read it a while ago though, so may not be 100% on the source, believe it was a boxer though.

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Such a great thread! Deserves to be bumped until it is a well-deserved sticky!

6. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Do you know or any other organin pre made raw suppliers? Or are darlings and natural instinct the only ones?

7. katiefranke

I havent come across any others that do this.

Darlings is fresh too when you receive it. Whereas Natural Instinct is frozen.

They do both have added veg in their mixes though. Although NI do a no veg version called 'Pure' but it doesnt have everything in it so you need to add offal etc depending on which one.

Darlings havent updated their website, but they do a no-veg version which you just have to ask for - which is classed as working dog food actually I think, so if you say you want working dog food you can get VAT off the price. :thumbup:

I dont use the minces so havent looked exhaustively so will have a dig around and let you know if I see anything else...

Woldsway are a good rabbit supplier and they do a 'pet food' rabbit mix...it is a complete meal as it is literally minced whole prey with guts removed, but then liver, offal, heart and bone etc included. Again you can buy the working dogs version with no VAT: http://www.woldsway.co.uk/acatalog/Pet_Meat.html All their rabbit is human consumption and prepared to human consumption standards (but I think the ground one has to have 'not fit for human consumption' stickers on them as they contain ground bone...it says full details on their site.

I am not sure the exact term for their rabbit (free-range?) but I know that the wild and farmed rabbit are good quality and they dont add antibiotics/hormones etc to their feed as a preventative like some.

#27 katiefranke, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  8. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

Thanks for all this info! :thumbup:

Am feeding Baxter a 50:50 diet at the moment, going to gradually make it more 'raw' as we go.... I'm learning the ropes, so to speak, about feeding raw but I have to say - he much, much, much prefers to chomp on a lamb/pork chop/bone than at his kibble!
    He's had 2 chicken pieces for his tea/supper.... I'd got them reduced at the supermarket, froze them that day... half defrosted and he thoroughly enjoyed them!

Have to say - his poo's are much smaller, as had been said, which is brill - means less waste in his food and less for me to pick up! ;)

9. katiefranke

Great isnt it?!! :D Just one of the many benefits...

10. katiefranke

Still not a sticky? :(

11. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

Called at a butchers this morning...

Carrier bag FULL of meat... mince, steaks, kidney... loads.... plus a rather large bone.... all for the grand sum of £2 :thumbup:

Happy, happy Baxter! :thumbup:

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh wow! What a great deal!!! How did you wiggle that?

13. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

Must have been the wiggle as I walked ;)

hehehe....

Very nice butcher, had a chat with him first about feeding raw, said he has a few customers who he gives bones/meat to for their dogs. I won't call too often, don't want to push it, but will definitely go again!!!

14. Jesi

Jesi PetForums Junior

Our butcher is great like that, but he did sometimes give me marrow bones which I didn't feed but felt bad saying I didn't want lol So I'd be stuck with them!

He used to sell me carrier bags full of chicken carcasses (usually 4 bagsa time) at 50p a bag! You had to get to him early though as a lot of raw feeders go to him, can see why :)

15. katiefranke

wow, you guys have some great butchers!!! :thumbup:

16. Jesi

Jesi PetForums Junior

My boy hasn't had any raw in the last few weeks since his Pancreatitis diagnosis. I'm not confident to feed him any as I don't know what a Pancreatic dog can have. So he's been on dry.

BUT I am due to see a Holistic vet next week who is going to help me get him back onto a natural diet and eventually back onto full raw, just with a few changes. Soo excited, I though he'd have to be on at least a 50/50 raw comercial diet, so I'm chuffed. :)

Thought I'd share lol ...

17. katiefranke

thats brilliant news jesi! its great when you can find a pro-raw vet who can help you :thumbup:

lozb likes this.
  18. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Great thread - I've been trying to find the one with photos too (I think it was sleeping Lion's), the pics we're great to help people preparing carcassess etc for the first time. Could it be added to this sticky?

My butcher is ace too - he gives us plenty of bones and sheep and ox hearts. Not only that but he does the best pork pies in history:thumbup:

19. katiefranke

Yes good idea - I was thinking about that yesterday! Thanks for reminding me, I will go find it and add it soon when I add the puppy info too. :thumbup:

20. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

Just wanted to add here.... since starting giving Baxter more raw food than kibble, I'd say we're on 80/20 at the moment... his coat is smoother, softer and looks amazing! :thumbup:
    The difference is amazing. Strolking/petting him now feels like he's been in the wash with the most expensive fabric softener going!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice