Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw feeding diary

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LexiLou2, Mar 19, 2011.

1. rawdogs

rawdogs PetForums Junior

IF you are talking abount boneless meat ,you could try lightly dry frying it just enough to brown the outside,if he eats it,gradually brown it less and less.
    Or cook some of the meat ,leave some raw and mix together.
    Another option is to start with tripe ,not many dogs refuse that,and add a little of other meats to it.

2. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Congrats on your new addition

Agree with the tripe idea, I use tripe to get the boys to eat their offal
    Have heard of others with success at the part cooking idea too

Godd luck :)

3. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Argh i swear I'm going to scream....Lexi has been fine back on a chicken diet but Bosley won't eat raw, I have got some tripe to try him on which I am going to do but he has been on dry since we brought him home....BUT he's been a bugger today eaten some stones out of the garden thrown his food (Cereal containing food!!!) up and bloody Lexi has bloody eaten it....so now i know her tummy is going to be bad because it has cereals in it and I have to worry that he has eaten stones ARGH!! I've been trying so hard to keep them seperate while they eat so she can't pick anything up.
    And Bosley has eaten stones and bben sick now i think hes thrown them all up but if he has a blockage what so I have to look for?? He is still drinking weeing and pooping?!

4. babycham2002

oh god what a nightmare, you poor thing :(
    Im sorry I dont really know what to look for, hard stomache and panting would be my first guesses

5. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Are you giving Lexie veg? I'd lay off that if so as dogs can't break down the cell walls unless it's blended, so maybe that's causing issues? Dunno, just wild guessing here.

She gets probiotic yoghurt, doesn't she? Stick some on new boys raw food-it's like a magic trick with Brig, makes him eat anything.

Have you got Lexie on Pooch and Mutt's bionic something or other, the one that aids digestion? I keep hearing amazing things about it sorting out tummy problems.

6. Rojer David

Rojer David Banned

Raw+Medical feeding :
    If your dog is a few month older then give him in food fipronil 9.8%,S-methoprene 8.8%.The fipronil gets help to the oil of the skin and hair follicles and nourish to bones.
    And gradually started to with wheat and meat too which is very essential for dogs.
    Readily available Brand is
    "Cesar " .

7. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Lexi seems to be better, I think i over did it on the heart, having not given her any heart since she has been fine, but I was right we had issues last night with her tummy, since eating his sick (Sorry) last night at about 8 pm she has poo'd 5 times since, so her body obviously reacts quite violently to cereals now.
    I've tried raw with probiotic yoghurt, won't eat it, i tried rawtogo minces won't eat it, tried meat chunks, won't eat it and tried a chicken wing, won't eat it. He won't eat cooked chicken neither, I'm just wondering if he has only ever ben given dry food his entire life as anything that isn't dry he won't eat, offered him some carrot, looked at me like I was insane same goes for banana apple etc.
    I'm going to try him on tripe and see how we go as I did manage to get him to eat sardines in tomato sauce which is quite smelly so hopefully the tripe will turn him.

Lexi has Dorwest Tree bark powder but I'm going to look into that other stuff as I am always open to ideas to help her tummy.

8. cinnamontoast

What?! Wheat essential? Absolute rubbish! Cesar is a crap food with low protein. Sorry if you meant something different, but your phrasing is difficult to understand.

9. cinnamontoast

Maybe Boseley just won't do raw? After months of merrily eating it, Brig has gone onto Wainwright trays. But the OH gave him raw chicken last night and he gulped it down, contrary little swine. Just give him a decent food and keep trying the occasional raw thing. Beef mince is normally tempting.

10. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Well we tried tripe today for the first time...and Bosley ate the whole lot which is the first time he has finished a full meal since we brought him home over a week ago, he loved it. Lexi enjoyed it too. Going to keep Bos on tripe for a couple of days then hopefully try chicken again and see if we can get him to eat it this time. My siter in laws 18 month old lab is having food allergy issues so she too is thinking of trying raw. I was chatting her through it all.

11. lewis_m15

lewis_m15 PetForums Member

Just a quick tip, if lexi won't eat yoghurt have youtried mixing in some cottage cheese? My boy hates yoghurt, but laps up cottage cheese.

Also, purina do a supplement on their pro plan range called forti flora which adds good gut bacteria. I have no idea where you get it though! (my friend works for them and gives us a ready supply)

X

12. CuteRotts

CuteRotts Em x (owned by Edith, Billy & Norman)

Hey there. Newby here but already wondering how your little new guy is doing?!

Em x

13. babycham2002

Yes how is the new guy doing?

14. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Sorry not updated for aggggggeeeessss.

Bosley is doing really well, we've had him for just over 2 weeks and I can't imagine not having him here.

With regards to raw I got some tripe which i started him on last week......oh my god that stuff smells so horrible, had him on that 4 days, then moved to raw2go's chicken and tripe mince which he ate then to just the chicken mince which again he is eating, however if you give him meat chunks or bone he is so confused. As the raw2go mince is 80:20:20 I am happy he is getting everything he needs so if it takes a while to get him on to bone then so be it.
    I have got some chicken breast and chopped it up really small and am mixing it in with his mince which he has been eating for the past 2 days, so we are getting there.
    He does love his meals now though, when we first got him on dry he never finished a meal even with yoghurt mixed in but now its licked clean bowl everytime.
    On a none raw note I love having 2 dogs, as I type Lexi has just got up off her bed to go lay next to Bos, its so lovely to see her make that little decision herself....do you know what I want to lay near him.

15. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

well my Lexie is still getting raw twice a week and loves it, she knows when she sees the kitchen shears its raw day! it was so cute watching her this evening sitting (yes she sits down to eat-shes very posh you know!!!) chomping on her raw chicken wings and natures menu nuggets. have to say i am very glad to have changed to raw eventhough it is only 2 days a week as its nice for them to have some variety and it is so good for her and i feel it has made her more interested in her dinners generally.
    thank you to all the raw feeders for all the advice and encouragement :D

16. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

prompted me to update, we are still going strong Bosley is now eating bones, is is REALLY good at chomping them up, alot better than Lexi.....and I have just found out my dads friend goes shooting (not my type of hobby) however it means he can get me rabbit and pheasent free of charge, he is also going to skin, pluck gut and chop them up into whatever size portions i want. even if I only get 2 or three of each every few months its better than nothing and Lexi loves rabbit.

This is gonig to be a really stupid question but I have three bunnies they live outside and neither dog is really bothered by them they just accept they are there and will occasionally watch them. If i start feeding them whole rabbit they aren't going to look at my three and think mmmmm tea are they? Will they just accept them as now?!

17. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Word of warning never give her Avocado :nono: as the leaves, seeds, fruit, and bark contain persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhoea.

18. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Dogs eh - who'd have 'em?
    Tom Lonsdale says the best way to get a fussy eater to eat raw is to fast him for day, if that doesn't work fast him for another and he'll soon lap it up. Don't know if I could do two days but I could do one, no problem with my porkers though they eat it like it's going out of fashion! :rolleyes:

Have you tried putting a couple of spoons of yogurt in with the meal? I can get Kali to eat rabbit by adding yogurt or sardines. ;)

19. Aaren Hardy

Aaren Hardy PetForums Newbie

My dear friends let me know few recipe of small dogs here.I have small doberman.Please let me know very soon.

20. Balto-x

Balto-x PetForums VIP

well lexi i love this thread!!
    :D:D:D
    im going raw lol!
    my two atm are eating 1/2 a chicken portion each and then will have mince and veg for tea :D

and they love it!!

:D Just need a freezer now xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice