Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw feeding diary

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LexiLou2, Mar 19, 2011.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I've started feeding a kind of raw diet and really love it. Because I don't have the freezer space or the confidence to feed exclusively raw, I do half raw and half Ziwipeak dog food, which is a kind of dried raw food that you can get wet or dry. By using the Ziwipeak I have peace of mind that she's getting everything she needs. It IS expensive, but you feed VERY little of it which makes it about comparable in price with Orijin.

As well as the Ziwipeak I feed things like raw chicken wings, sardines/pilchards, egg, probiotic yoghurt and a bit of vege. Also going to get some tripe and some chicken mince.

2. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Rawtogo posts nationwide which I guess would inc NI

Worth giving landywoods a ring to see if they would deliver over there

I doubt the dog food co my supllier does as he does all his own deliveries :)

Plenty of people do one day raw one day commercial. I just do the odd day like yesterday when i forgot to get anything out the freezer the day before

Personally i wouldnt feed a dog one meal a day but I suppose it could be done :001_smile: Is that how you feed now?

3. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

raw2go use DHL to deliver so i assume they may be able to deliver to northern ireland.
    I know some people feed raw and commercial one day all commercial, one day all raw.
    the only reason i feed twice is to help Lexis tummy prior to this i only fed once a day, that being said she seems much better on two meals a day.

4. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

(my) lexie can be a bit fussy sometimes-at the mo she is on wainwrights dry with 1/3 tray of wainwrights wet mixed in as she started not eating the dry on its own. she is a 13 and half month old beagle and weighs 15-16kgs so if i was to feed her raw she would need 450-500grams/ day. she decided herself to go onto once a day feeding a few months ago(stopped eating breakfast) so gets fed at 6pm.
    i dont know if raw everyday would be an option as i do shiftwork and there are somedays i am not home at dinner time so hubby feeds her (well he feeds her a lot of the time anyway) but i reckon he wouldnt be keen on feeding raw as he doesnt even like feeding wet. and i also dont think i would have the freezer space for the quantities invloved to make it not expensive and too time consuming.
    she has had probs with anal glands since she was 6mths old and was needing them emptied every 5weeks or so at one point but actually since putting her onto wet and taking her off weetabix (she was getting one weetabix a day mixed into her dinner on vets recommendation) her AG problem has improved greatly-and want to keep it that way-hence starting her on her first raw chicken wing this week.
    so thats lexies life story!!! :eek:

5. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Lexi weighs 15.4 kg and is on just short of 400 g a day, you are suuposed to feed between 2.5% and 3% of their adult weight depending on the dog and how active they are etc.
    My other half was not keen on raw feeding as again he doesn't like wet food etc but the mince is so simple, i arrives frozen i cut every block in half as half a block gives us one meal and bag them up in freezer bags then every night i get out her breakfast and her tea to defrost. All my other half has to do is empty the freezer bag into her bowl which he is fine with.
    My Lexi also self weaned herself off breakfast when she was on dry food, but on raw she loves having a breakfast and a tea.

I thought it would be time consuing etc and on delivery day it does take time to sort all the bags out seperate into meals etc but after that it is as easy if not easier than feeding commercial.

6. lexie2010

thank u for all your advice-you put forward very good reasons for doing it!!!! am deffinately going to consider it on a part time basis anyway-dont think we could make the swop completely. we always struggle to get enough food into her as she is really rather lean-unusual complaint for a beagle- so i would hope that we could get a little weight on her if we went onto raw. my concern is that at the mo there are days she decides to eat nothing and she is a VERY active dog and if we tried to do it on a day on (raw)-day off (commercial)basis she might decide not to eat commercial. she loves leftovers and veg and would choose them over commercial food but obviously we dont have leftovers (or suitable leftovers) everyday. hmmmmm what to do :confused:

7. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

my dogs have all put on weight with raw and that is one of the things that I like. I have therefore cut back a little on the amount I feed.

Any reason why you think you couldn't make the swop completly? I still have some complete wet food in the house for those days that I forget to get out the mince but these are rarities these days. I did give them some Acana the other day for brekkie as I had a sample and see how they do on it for a backup to the raw and all three of them had colitis that day, back on raw the next day and back to normal. I cannot rave enough about this diet.

8. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Ladies and gents, I'm on holiday for a couple of weeks now so I haven't forgotten about my diary I just won't be here, but i will update on my return, hope all my fellow raw feeders continue doing well.

9. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

Hope you have a good time and enjoy the break.

10. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Hi all, back off my jollies :smile5:...nothing to report really as Lexi has been in kennels but her tummy still seems fine and the people at the kennels asked me loads of questions on the raw diet when i picked her up as they were surprised at how easy it had been to feed her and liked the idea of raw feeding.

Got her some lamb ribs from the supermarket which she hasn't had before so will let you know how we get on with them, and pick our new rescue boy up a week today (assuming him and Lexi get on ok) so get to do the starting raw feeding thing all over again yey, however he has no tummy troubles so hopefully won't be as stressful and difficult as this time.

11. stigDarley

stigDarley PetForums Senior

tried mine with chicken wings today both not interested... sniffed it quick lick then left it. then my akita tried to bury it in her bed. Have tried raw and frozen... mine prefer the AMP mince frozen which they eat no problems!

12. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Welcome back, hope you enjoyed your jollies :). Good to hear Lexi got on well at the kennels.

We've introduced duck and turkey minces while you've been away, also small quantity of liver and today I managed to get some free flow tripe and Poppy had a bit of that with her chicken chunks tonight. Tomorrow we start the last new mince, rabbit, and I'm planning to introduce a bit of heart later in the middle of next week then it's just kidney to try and that's everything - I can then start making a varied menu so she gets something different every day. I'm glad to say she's loved everything she's tried and is now fully on raw (son had my last 16 trays of Naturediet and the remainder of the Burns Mini Bites).

Looking forward to hearing about your new boy and his introduction to raw, and seeing him of course. Lucky Lexi getting a playmate!

13. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

I haven't tried her on duck yet, after her reaction to venision and with duck being a rich meat I'm a bit scared. I might just get one or two bags on my next order and see how we go.
    She had a full chicken leg (thigh and drumstick) tonight for her tea and she was like a kid at christmas I promise you i put it in front of her and her eyes opened really wide as if to say WOW and she LOVED eating it!! (I still hold her bones I'm too scared to let go)

14. ihaveapet.com

ihaveapet.com PetForums Newbie

15. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Well we have had a really bad couple of days with Lexi, between 8pm on Sunday and 7 am this morning she had poo'd 8 times which is ALOT more than she had been if she had been 'normal' she would have been at about 4 times and i haven't a clue what's up with her. The poo's are still firm but there is just lots of it. She was looking a little too lean so i increased her portion size a bit as from Saturday and introduced heart so I am going to cut her meal size back down and try her for a few days on just turkey and chicken, both of which I know she is fine on, see if i can get her back to normal....it's 2 steps forward 1 back with this blooming dog.
    To be fair though although we still have 'issues' we have never gone this long without her having a bout of the runs, she hasn't had the runs once since she was on raw and the toxic smells she used to make have stopped, shes even back on rawhide chews as the occasional treat which she could not eat at all before as the gave her terrible terrible wind!!!
    I think i jsut need to accept I may always have issues with Lexis tummy but at least if i can manage it well.

16. lexie2010

well (my) lexie had a full raw dinner last nite and wolfed it all down! she NEVER eats her dinner in one sitting! she had 300g of natures menu lamb and veg nuggets, 110g of chicken wing and a raw egg for desert. she still seemed hungry though and she never wants food after her commercial diet :confused: which she never finishes in one sitting and usually picks through at dinner time and eats rest by next morning.
    so i have decided she will have raw maybe twice a week at this stage and commercial on the other days. need to see what raw options are here.
    loved how enthuasiastic she was eating the raw and hearing her munch the bones is great :D

17. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Aww, that's a shame. Do you think it might be the heart? Could you maybe introduce just 10g or 20g of heart to something else and increase gradually? We've still got to try heart but everything else has gone well. Got some freeflow tripe mince last Friday and she's had a bit of that added to chicken chunks on two occasions and loved it. In fact, there hasn't been anything she's not liked. The only thing that affected her was the first time I introduced liver, I think I gave her too bit a piece to start with and her poop was a lot softer than normal. Left it till the next week then just shaved a bit of a liver chunk, went down fine, then the next time I gave her about a thumbnail size piece and she was OK.

18. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

It posibley could be or it could be something she's picked up out and about, she can be a devil at picking stuff up. A week or so back on just chicken won't hurt I suppose get her right again and then I'll try a bit of heart and see what happens, that's the only bad thing about giving her variety if she reacts to something i don't know what it is, well at least i can keep defaulting to chicken and building her up, plus we hopefully bring our new boy home friday and he'll need a week on chicken anyway so keeps things simple for me. :biggrin:

19. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Well Lexi was still bad last night but she is normally bad for a couple of days, I hoping her tummy starts to settle as we are hopefully bringing our new boy home on Friday so don't want her still bad then but we shall see what happens.

20. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Well taking Lexi back to a chicken and turkey diet has cleared her problems up however o now have a new problem, we went to pick our new boy up yesterday, Bosley is a 21 month Patterdale Terrier and him and Lexi get on so so well.....but he won't eat raw...at all. tried him with turkey last night wouldn't eat it, tried him with turkey mince this morning, wouldn't eat it and then gave him a bowl of dry and he wolfed if down....how do i get him to eat raw?!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice