Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw feeding diary

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LexiLou2, Mar 19, 2011.

1. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Hahaha this diet turns you into poo experts. We took Lexi on her evening walk the other night and she did her poo and OH picked it up and popped it in the bin and commented on her poo quality since this diet so i responded and 15 minutes later we realised we were still talking about the quality and quantity of our dogs poo.....i do wonder if we should get out more lol.
    I am so happy Lexi can have variety and she looks in brilliant condition. Met a friends staffie yesterday for the first time and she is a very similar height to Lexi but has that barrel on legs look....i much prefer Lexi she is very lean, solid and muscular but her tummy tucks up behind her ribs and she is very shiney and healthly looking.
    My other half just does the mince, i prefer to give her the bones as i know what i think is a reasonable size for her to be crunching where as he's not too sure so it's easier to do it myself, but her can't beleive her eagerness to eat.

babycham2002 likes this.
  2. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

glad to hear it isnt just me and my hubby who have conversations about the poo since being on the raw diet.

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Just read the whole of this, very very interesting.

I noticed right at the beginning you said that the morning meal is bigger than the evening one. Is there a reason for this - is it better for them?

4. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Lexi has irritable bowel and we find that she stuggles to hold her bowel overnight, tends to get to 5 or 6 hours after her last poo and she wants to go again....so we feed her a bigger meal in a morning so she has chance to 'get rid' throughout the day then she just gets a small meal on an evening so she has less in her stomach overnight and this seems to be working very well for her. We did try just feeding her once a day but she wouldn't settle on a night. I think its jsut what suits the dog.

On a diet note, since we stripped out the venison her tummy has been much better again, we aren't having accidents in the house any more, so i don't think venision is going to work for her.
    For all the experts, or at least the people that know more than me, do you think a mixture of chicken, turkey, lamb, tripe and rabbit, plus livver kidney and heart and meaty bones will be a enough of a variety to keep her healthy?

5. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Poppy had her first chicken and tripe mince yesterday - went down well, no problems. The pack will do five meals so she had it again this morning and I'll continue using it for brekkie, with veg, for the next 3 days.

Tonight she had some chicken chunky bits, just bits of meat cut off some leg quarters I portioned to get the right weight, and I added a couple of small pieces of lambs liver (stole a bit so she could try it raw - hubby was doing her some dried liver training treats). Totalled about a thumbnail size. Went down very nicely with the chicken chunks and veg.

6. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Is this still not a sticky?

I will contact mods

Been a really great thread :thumbup:

7. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Well we have been raw feeding for 6 weeks and Lexi is finally having variety, I am mixing up what meats she has so chicken one day rabbit the next etc rather than trying to stick to one main protien source per week.
    We have still been having a few little issues with Lexi so have invested in some Dorwest Tree Bark powder which aids digestion and seems to be helping clear up those last little issues. I have no issues recommending this diet to anyone and as long as it is physcially possible i will not b going back to commercial feeding. Lexi loves her food now she is happy healthy and we have just had our home check for a little patterdale boy we are looking to adopt and the home checker described Lexi as an ambasador of her breed!!! *Proud mum moment* :001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

8. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

I LOVE dorwest tree bark. With Lexi having such a senstive tummy this diet had cleared up 95% of her issues but if she picked anything up on a walk or someone gave her something by mistake we had issues. She has been having tree bark for 3 days now and all the little issues we seemed to have have cleared up. We finally seem to have cracked all Lexis issues.
    Not only that but this diet has made her breath smells better her coat looks better her body condition is amazing and she is alot more chilled out.
    When our new boy comes home the first thing i am doing is putting him on raw as he is apparantly quite hyper but had been in kennels for 1 year so to be expected.
    I think I will stick to mince feeding him to begin with as he is a dog i don't know and holding bones for him etc when he has an unknown personality could cause issues, however as the raw2go mince is 80.10.10 he should be fine for a few weeks.

9. DirtyGertie

I have loved reading about Lexi's progress and am so delighted for you both that it has worked out so well for you and if the tree bark has put the last piece in the jigsaw for you then you couldn't wish for better.

Good luck with the new boy, sounds like a great plan to start him on just mince and see how he goes. Hopefully you'll develop a great relationship and it wont be too long before you can introduce bones. You'll have to keep us up to date on how things go for him and how he and Lexi get along.

Poppy had the last of her pack of chicken and tripe this morning - I got five brekkies out of it by weighing out her chicken bone evening meals first then dividing up the chicken and tripe mince. I just about managed each meal around 90g. We've now got two days of Naturediet and then I will introduce one of the other flavour of minces.

My groomer uses Landywoods and is having a delivery next week. She's getting me some heart, liver and kidney chunks and some chicken wings as they're cheaper than Raw To Go. I'll ring and add some filleted poultry chunks too. She orders over £200 worth at a time (she has about 6 dalmations) and I think she said delivery is only about £3ish so a share of the delivery charge wont be very much.

10. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

Great news hon, glad everything has worked out 4 Lexi, I use dorwest for a few things, great supplements they do, keep us updated on ya new rescue boy and his introduction 2 raw :D xx

11. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Stickied, will hopefully be useful to others :)

12. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

I think I'm going to try landywoods next time, just because they have a little more variety, just not sure what the mince quality is like, I like raw2go's mince it looks 'nice' if you know what i mean. Does you groomer get the mince? And if so would you mind asking her what she thinks of the quality.

Lexi is doing really well, i was a little concerned what would happen when i started with variety, but she had lamb mince from brekkie on friday and chicken and lamb chunks with veg for tea, she had rabbit for breakfast yesterday with chicken and tripe for tea and then turkey for breakfast this morning and she has been perfect, no issues just loving her food and the variety.

I also try and portion Lexis food up while frozen and have been using a breadknife to cut the frozen blocks of mince in two!!!!! However yesterday i discovered that sawing it with a hack saw works much better. It did look a like like sweeny todds barbers shop in my kitchen and took a bit of cleaning up but its now all cut and portioned!!

We go on holiday next week and it will be the first time i've left Lexi for more than 2 nights so not looking forward to it, but the kennels are all for raw feeding have a freezer and are fine with defrosting her food etc so everything is bagged up and labelled what it is and when to feed it.

13. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Thank you!! :001_smile:

14. DirtyGertie

I think she probably does get mince from there, I'm sure she mentioned mince when I was speaking to her last week but I will ask when I pick up our bits and pieces. I'm not sure if Landywoods mince has the same ratio of 80:10:10 like Raw To Go - that was the reason I went with Raw To Go as I was very unsure of getting that right myself.

I think maybe my groomer gives a much higher proportion of bone than 10% as I did mention that I thought Poppy had maybe had too much bone one time as she had great difficulty pooing one day and yelped when it came out. Her reply led me to believe that hers get a lot more bone.

What do you do for your chicken and lamb chunks? I'll get some poultry chunks from Landywoods but other than that, as we don't have a pet shop anywhere near, then it's just the Co-op or the butcher (who we don't ever use as I'm almost veggie) and that's a lot more expensive.

We have a freezer knife but it really didn't do the job well enough so hubby got a new hack saw which he's keeping just for the dog food. Just need to make sure it's dried thoroughly after washing as I can see it going rusty!

That's wonderful. Not sure I could leave Poppy so we aren't planning any holidays. As we're retired she's so used to someone being around, we can leave her for up to an hour and she's OK. Other than that my son and d-i-l will have her for a few hours but I really don't like leaving her there. They have no garden so their bichon (Poppy's sister) still uses puppy pads and I feel that is a backward step for Poppy, and they don't take their dogs for a proper walk, just to let the older dog go to the toilet. Also they do the puppy grumbly growly rough play constantly, they just don't give up. Then they let their dogs graze with their food and it's not good quality. Poppy can get to the food and last time she had horrible poos after she stole some :(. Perhaps I'm just too fussy a mum :lol:.

15. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Delighted to see this has been stickied!

16. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

I have loads of chicken mince and turkey mince left from raw2go but was after some lamb mince and they also do lamb and tripe mince and lamb bones at landywoods which raw2go don't do.
    With chicken chunks i buy a pack of chicken breasts smart price ones from asda, you get three big chicken breasts about 500g for £4.50 which does me about 5 meals, she only has chicken chunks twice a week so £4.50 does me about 3 weeks.
    I feel better about leaving her as then kennels have been really understanding about her stomach she gets 2 hours out of her kennel a day and there will be loads of notes about her cereal intollerance.

17. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Seconded :thumbup:
    Thanks Tanya

18. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

and thirded here, if you can have such a thing.

We have now done just over 2 months on raw and the difference in the dogs is amazing and people are commenting on how good they look. Even have people coming up and asking me about how to feed it.

Thought camping at the weekends would be an issue but I just take chicken carcusses with me and tinned pilchards and they do just fine. I just find taking a mince quite messy.

19. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Well she is still doing really well, I am still holding her bones however i think thats more for my piece of mind than anything as she quite happily chews them up now. She is in fantastic condition her skin is lovely her coat soft her breath well as good as it gets for a dog but she eats with more enthusiasm then i have ever seen any dog eat.

20. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

just read entire thing and i am nearly convinced to give it a go!
    3 questions:
    -does anyone know can you get the supplies in northern ireland other than i PAH?
    -i know this might kind of defeat the purpose but can you do like every 2nd day raw/commercial?
    -can you feed all in one meal instead of giving breakfast and dinner?

i will read other raw sticky now too, you have really got my interest!
    any beagle owners feeding raw?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice