Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw feeding diary

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LexiLou2, Mar 19, 2011.

1. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

:lol: :lol:

We've never had a poo problem but I can understand why you were so excited.

I'm gradually introducing raw with Poppy, started about 3 to 4 weeks ago. I still have a case of Naturediet to use up so at the moment I'm doing 4 days raw, 2 days ND. Will go over to 5 days raw, 2 ND next week - ND just at weekends. The ND will last about 5 months at that rate.

Although the ND goes down well, she is more enthusiastic about raw. I'm having a Raw2Go delivery today. She's had only chicken in various forms for the last few weeks with no problems so I'll be able to introduce a new variety straight away. Can't wait.

2. kellyalfie

kellyalfie PetForums Newbie

Im not sure how much to order from 'Raw to go' dont want loads of it in one go due to lack of freezer space, and not sure what to order either. :confused:

3. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

I ordered LOADS to much to be honest i ordered 50 packs of mince plus chicken wings plus offal.
    I will never order that much again!! It filled 4 freezer drawers. I reckon you can fit 15 or so mince packs in a freezer drawer maybe a few more 20 ish maybe depending on the size of your freezer.
    My only slight issue with rawtogo it lack of choice on the bones so i am going to stick with raw to go mince as Lexi likes it and try Landywoods for bones as they do lamb bones and turkey wings etc.

4. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

I order about 55 packs of mince plus chicken carcusses and necks and that lasts my three adult BCs about a month plus I do add in sardines, eggs etc as well. Cost about £50 per month so a bargain if you ask me.

I just use a four drawer freezer but the carcusses normally have to go into the bottom of our freezer

5. DirtyGertie

I had my delivery from Raw2go this morning. 55 packs mince only. We worked out the delivery charge and found this to be the most economical, added approx 20p to the cost of each pack.

We have this Hotpoint freezer

[​IMG]

and it's filled one of the deeper drawers with 44 packs and about 1/3rd of a standard drawer with 11 packs. The rest of the standard drawer has some chicken portions, drumsticks, thighs, wings, etc. in it plus some blended veg. I only ordered mince as I can get wings etc from my groomer or locally.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

For Poppy's size I will get 220+ meals at approx 90g per meal which works out at 18p each including delivery. Looks like it's going to last a few months!

There are only two of us so I don't need an awful lot of freezer space for us, just had a rejig of what we had to make room for the dog food.

6. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Are you pleased with the mince, i think it looks like 'proper' mince you can see its got the offal and the bone in it and it doesn't go sloppy or anything when defrosted.

7. DirtyGertie

Can't tell yet LexiLou, I have one pack of chicken mince defrosting in the fridge at the moment. I'll let you know tomorrow as she's having it for brekkie, got drumstick for tea tonight.

8. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Well following the disaster with the venison we have tried rabbit for breakfast, now she has been fine today but i suppose tonight will tell will update you all in the morning. I think if she is ok with rabbit and tripe i will leave it at that for now and give her a couple of months just with the variety of chicken, turkey, lamb, rabbit and tripe with various offal and bone thrown in, as those meats seem to agree with her.

9. DirtyGertie

OK, pic of Raw2Go's chicken mince for anyone interested.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Defrosted in fridge overnight. A bit bloody in the bag and the outside of the block has started to darken but you can see what lovely fresh looking mince it is. Poppy had blended veggies mixed in with this, plus Billy No Mates for fleas/ticks and she was very happy with her brekkie. She's never bothered about the BNM, it's not put her off any of her food even though it has a definite smell.

Hubby did a silly thing really in defrosting the whole block. I intend feeding mince only for brekkie and the size of block (1lb/454g) will actually do 4 or 5 meals for Poppy, depending on the size of the RMB she has for tea. So next time it's out with the freezer knife and we'll cut off enough for only 2 days and just defrost that.

10. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

I bag mine up into individual meals and use a hack saw to cut them up. :blushing::blushing::blushing:

11. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Well tummy seems to be back to normal after the disaster with the venison. I have however ordered some dorwest tree bark powder today on the recommentation of a couple of people as a way to help settle her tummy down if she has an episode so hopefully that will help.

12. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Diet still going well bought some various meats from supermarket today for her that we on offer so she now has some chicken chunks turkey chunks and lamb chunks to go with her minces as well.

All going well. How is everyone else getting on?

13. DirtyGertie

Poppy's first pack of chicken mince has got just one meal left for tomorrow brekkie. She will have sardines (tinned) for tea tomorrow to have a change from chicken. We've managed to get 5 meals out of the pack, so she's had mince for brekkie and either chicken wing or drumstick or thigh for tea. She's taken to the mince well enough, as you know she's been having raw chicken for a few weeks now so it was just a different texture for her.

After tomorrow we'll have two days of Naturediet with some Burns as I still have 20 trays to use up. Then after that I will try the chicken and tripe.

She did have a bit of a problem with a poo yesterday morning, was trying to go and it wouldn't happen. You could see she was trying then all of a sudden she yelped and pooped. I'm not sure what the problem was, whether there was a bit of bone in it or whether it was a bigger one than normal. Hubby cleared it up and never thought to look to see if there was a bit of bone or some blood or anything - I do find most men need everything spelling out for them, they don't seem to be able to think for themselves, but that's a whole other story :lol:.

When you give Lexi the chunks, does she actually chew them properly? Poppy is a bit of a "suck it in, swallow it down" dog - I cut some chicken up into smallish chunks for the cat but she didn't like it so Poppy had them for her tea that day and I can't say she actually chewed them. I'm still holding her bones and bashing the ends, can't quite trust her yet to crunch them up properly.

ETA: I've just noticed your new siggy picture - it's lovely!

14. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Nope she doesn't chew the chunks, however i do cut them into what i'd call mouth size pieces anyway and to be honest she hasn't really had an issue. Lexi doesn't like chewing food lol even on kibble she never chewed just swollowed the kibble bits whole. If in doubt i just chop the bits smaller. I sometimes worry that i worry too much and if i gave her the benefit of the doubt would she really choke herself?! but I'm too much of a wimp to test it out, so i'll continue with the mouth size pieces and holding her bones. :)

Figured i needed a sig picture the end of my messages looked a bit boring!!!

15. billybarney

billybarney PetForums Junior

Hi this is a fantastic post well done. I did try to pm message you but i dont think it went through ? woulf you mind giving a example of your menu for a week :eek: As my 2 have been on the raw diet for a while and seem to be having the same thing all the time :confused: Thanks

16. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

I tried to reply to your pm but it told me your inbox was full!!

I ordered various minces from raw2go which is how i managed to get variety into her foods. She also has chicken and lamb chunks which i buy from the supermarket and chop up. The probioitc yoghurt is for her dodgy tummy so you don't have to give that. A sample weeks menu would be:

Monday am - chicken mince and veg
    Monday pm - chicken and lamb chunks with liver and veg and probioitc yoghurt
    Tuesday am - rabbit mince and veg
    tuesday pm - 2 x chicken wings and heart and veg and probiotic yoghurt
    wednesday am - turkey mince and veg
    wednesday pm - tin of sardines in tomato sauce with a raw egg and shell and a raw chopped up carrot and probioitc yoghurt
    Thursday am - lamb mince and veg
    Thursday pm - lamb bone plus heart and veg and probiotic yoghurt
    Friday am - chicken and tripe mince
    Friday pm - turkey chunks, kidney, veg and probiotic yoghurt
    Saturday am - chicken mince and veg
    Saturday pm - lamb and tripe mince, veg and probiotic yoghurt
    Sunday am - turkey mince and veg
    Sunday pm - chicken drumstick, heart veg and probiotic yoghurt.

I add veg to her food, it has no nutritional value it is just a filler but lexi like veg and it helps bulk her meals out.
    You are supposed to feed 2-3% of their adult weight daily, however i feed slightly more than this as Lexi is very active and was loosing weight on 3%.
    Its fairly easy to judge what they are missing, if their poo's are a bit runny and sloppy then you need to up their bone intake, if their poo's are very hard, white and they struggle to go you need to up their offal intake (liver kidney etc). On the combination above Lexi has no issues with her poo's.
    One thing to note if you do feed raw whole veg ie carrot it comes out the other end how it went it, so orange flecks in their poo is normal its just the carrot they can't break down.

If you look at some of the companies you can order raw from its easy to get a level of variety but i think you always end up in a situation where you feel you are just repeating yourself, but Lexi doesn't mind she LOVES her food now. She has a walk on a morning before her breakfast and when on kibble she never really bothered, now she pulls all the way home after her walk just for her breakfast.

17. DirtyGertie

Fab post LexiLou, it's lovely to see how much variety Lexi is now getting and that she is doing so well on it and keen to eat!

18. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

I know i love thjis diet.

On a side note I keep having a little giggle to myself, 6 weeks ago both me and you were total novices on the raw diet now if you read some of our responses to people we actually sound like we know what we are talking about. Isn't it funny how quickly you learn about it?

19. DirtyGertie

Funny you should say that. When I was writing the two replies earlier on I thought to myself "OMG, I actually sound like I know what I'm talking about" :lol:.

I showed hubby your post with your week's menu and he was well impressed. This is the bloke who was anti-raw a few weeks ago and took a lot of convincing that we should try it. He seemed to have forgotten that when we had our standard poodle pup in 1984 he came with a recommendation from the breeder to keep him on the raw green tripe he was used to. Now he's comparing poops on raw days to poops on the days she has Naturediet :lol: and he is WELL impressed with the cost. His job is to give the mince brekkies, he hasn't yet sat and held a chicken drumstick or wing for her but he does love to hear her crunch!

20. billybarney

billybarney PetForums Junior

Thanks for your reply it is a great help your a star :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice