Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Raw feeding diary

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LexiLou2, Mar 19, 2011.

1. nath01

nath01 PetForums Newbie

A raw diet should look something like:
    50 % raw meaty bones
    10% pureed vegetables and fruits (NO onion, grapes)
    15% organ meat
    25% muscle meat (all meat is okay besides Pork)

The veggies have to be pureed to more or less simulate the contents of a stomach from a prey. If you give whole vegetables the dog will hardly be able to get anything from it. For cats you don't need to add the vegetables.

Look around on the WWW there is so much info out there but please make sure you feed a good variety.

Fish is also very good!!! Make sure salmon and fresh water fish has been at least frozen for 48hrs to kill certain bacteria before feeding.

2. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

What's the problem with pork?

3. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Or it can be 80% muscle/10% bone/ 5% organs /5% liver and no vegetables other than potentially table scraps. Dogs are carnivores. There is no problem with feeding pork.

Even wolves do not eat the contents of the stomach in prey unless it's a small animal. Myths About Raw: Do wolves eat stomach contents of prey?.

There is a lot on the web but you need to make sure you read widely from many different sources to be able to make informed decisions.

Freezing does not kill bacteria. Freezing can be used to kill parasites. Minor but important difference. Length of time required is dependent on temperature of the freezer and parasite in question.

4. whitefire

whitefire PetForums Member

as a guide to the raw / prey model i feed i use the 80/10/10 ratios with no fruit or veg. when my boy was on orijen he would beg for fruit and i would feed veg in his kong but since being on raw he doesn't ask for fruit or veg. i can also eat dinner and have his head on my lap and he doesn't even bat an eyelid (but that might just be him - don't try this at home kids :001_tt2: )

my variety has included

lamb any part
    pork any part
    fatty fish (frozen for more than 2 weeks). herring, trout and mackerel (whole and never from a tin)
    ox cheek
    chicken any part including carcass, gizzards, liver, necks, feet
    Guiana fowl
    pousson
    quail
    whole rabbit fur and all (caught wild by his sire - frozen for about 3 weeks)
    goat
    liver
    kidney
    testicles
    lungs and trachea
    spleen
    brains
    tripe
    beef (but never weight bearing bones)

i think that's all I've given so far :thumbup1:

p.s - certain items we see as organs are actually meat such as hearts and lungs

5. Sarahferret

Sarahferret PetForums Senior

I asked my vet this the other day. He says a lot of pigs are raised using a lot of chemicals, and some dogs can react badly to those chemicals. Organic pork is fine for any dog.

My dog has never reacted to pork, and I feed a lot of it.

6. DirtyGertie

Thanks Sarah. Poppy does get pork and I've just arranged with a lady who has a small free range pig farm to have some stuff off her next week. I just wanted to know why Nath01 was saying all meat except pork, what his reason was, as I know there are a few on here who feed pork :).

7. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

Theres nothing wrong with pork if you know where it comes from, I feed alot of pork as it's so cheap!

8. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

For dogs you don't need to add the veggies!

The ratio should be 80:10:10 and then IF you want to add veggies then you add them in on top of that.

I've never once given them veg, neither will eat it anyway and i don't believe they need them.

Also pork is fine ;)

9. whitefire

whitefire PetForums Member

to me this sounds more like a BARF diet which is very different from RAW/prey model which emphasises more meat than bones.

10. cattyfr

cattyfr PetForums Newbie

Hi! I wanted to ask you about your opinion concerning dry and canned food. In many reviews (Pet Food Reviews @ Pissed Consumer) I've read pet owners say they are pretty satisfied to feed their dogs with packed food. But I heard that this is not a healthy choice.. What would you say?

11. changealex

changealex PetForums Newbie

This one gives you a detailed breakdown of the amounts of raw food per day/week (in ounces and lbs) you pup needs by weight.

Also, it will provide you with the nutrient profiles your pup needs on a daily basis.

The second page gives gives you typical raw foods and their nutritional value. You can customize this page for your own dog using the USDA Nutrition Calculator or nutritiondata.com.

This spreadsheet will help you design a raw diet, that meets your pups nutritional needs

12. Coopster75

Coopster75 PetForums Newbie

Hi
    I have loved reading this thread and learning new things with it all.
    I am planning on switching my dog to the barf raw food diet. I have been introducing him with little bits already and all seems to be ok and he really enjoys his raw meat so far. I am changing his diet as he has always had dry flaky skin and just lately it’s getting worse. I have tried him on the grain free kibble etc. but still hasn’t made a difference so the raw diet has been recommended for me to try. I have a few questions though.

1. He weighs 43 kilos but should be 38 or around that – the vet says 35 but I think he will look emaciated (he is half rottie) he doesn’t look fat now. So based on the 2% for an overweight dog that is 860 grams a day. I have read a lot of people feed twice a day but my dog has always been fed once a day on an evening whilst I am near him as he is eating and after he has eaten. So am I ok to continue to feed once a day on the new diet?
    2. I am wanting to add some veg - Is it ok to have 100 grams of the meal for veg or does it need to be in addition to the 860 grams if I am wanting to add it? I know some people dont think veg is needed at all.
    3. The chicken wings – in the past he has been fine eating the odd raw beef bone we have bought as a treat. With chicken bones I have read they are ok to feed as long as they are raw as they are more flexible and softer to chew and he makes easy work of the beef bones he has had. Having said that I have family that have still warned me against giving chicken bones to him. Based on a little bit of fear that I can’t shake off no matter how many times I read that its ok - is it ok to feed the 100 grams of chicken wings blended up or bashed with a hammer?

Based on the questions above I was thinking of the below as his meal plans to start off with. I have been thinking about this new diet 24/7 for a while and would appreciate any advice before I start :) I have an order from DAF coming tomorrow.

Meal plan for a week – I have kept it mainly chicken based to start with and the veg will be various with some apple. All in grams.

660 of minced chicken
    100 chicken wings
    100 veg
    Dash of salmon oil

660 of minced chicken & tripe
    100 chicken wings
    100 veg
    Dash of salmon oil

660 of minced chicken
    100 chicken wings
    100 veg

660 of minced chicken
    100 chicken wings
    100 veg
    1 egg

660 of minced chicken & liver
    100 chicken wings
    100 veg

660 of minced chicken
    100 minced heart
    100 veg
    Dash of salmon oil

660 of minced chicken and tripe
    100 chicken wings
    100 veg
    Dash of salmon oil

:)

13. Tim9874

Tim9874 PetForums Newbie

My cousin's dog is having a bit of problem in his leg but he is eating fine....today we gave him boiled chicken breast and sautéed veggies and stock and he loved his meal. :D

14. Shaunny

Shaunny PetForums Newbie

Hey your diary is amazing and really interesting for someone new to it like me. Just a quick question though. If you order from rawtogo say and it come is in 454g packs, how do you portion it all up if it's frozen? Might just be me being thick but it doesn't look loose from them just a solid block

15. DirtyGertie

Partially defrost it, portion as necessary into freezer bags or tubs, put back in the freezer. Wont harm the food nor the dog, it's fine to refreeze raw dog food (unlike food for humans).

My dog's meals are only 75g each so I have to do a lot of portioning!

Muttly likes this.
  16. Shaunny

Shaunny PetForums Newbie

Thank you. I did hear that but I was unsure if it was ok to do

17. kipling2536

kipling2536 PetForums Junior

Our 2 adopted doggies have been transitioned onto frozen ready prepped raw food 'Natural Source'. Poop is less and drier.
    Both were really excited with the food at first - one still is but he is a gannet and would probs eat anything :p - the other has become a bit sniffy with his dins. He's really slow to eat or doesn't eat it until the other has finished and comes to eat his dinner, then he growls and has a bit. He dithers about, having a bit and walking away.

Perhaps it's just a matter of not liking the flavour - this morning he tool a litte lick then left it. I (naughtily) popped a teeny bit on the floor and he ate it. He seems to like small lumps of food rather than the mush texture of the raw.

Shall I just remove it and try again later? I am defrosting a diff flavour for tonigh to try.

Thank you, Amanda

18. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Sorry only just seen this. Some dogs don't like the texture of the pre prepared minces - which one are you using? I either add a little bit of a mixer (OK not strictly raw but rather use that than kibble) or go for a coarser mince of a mixture of mince and chunks. My greedy rottie will eat anything but my pointers can be fussy and like yours they started out eating the minces OK but quickly went off them until I added other things for texture.

Muttly likes this.
  19. SoopaPets

SoopaPets PetForums Newbie

Hi Guys,

My name is Claire and I work for Soopa Pets. You can remove this post if not allowed, but we are big into healthy eating for dogs! We make a range of natural dog treats and we are creating an awesome new product for people who feed raw food diets. We are looking for some volunteers to try out the new product free of charge. If you are interested, please email claire at soopapets dot com.

all the best,

Claire

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice