Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Raw feeding diary

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LexiLou2, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Ricarda

Ricarda PetForums Newbie

wow.. i have found BARF Pet Foods. their stuff is delicious and they have a HUGE variety of food and other bits and pieces. daddy still goes to t***o for my chicken wings, but BARF's chicken necks are awesome. :thumbup:

2. AskieAmerEskimo

AskieAmerEskimo PetForums Junior

What are the advantages of raw diet? Is it better than mixed diet?

3. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

what do you mean by a mixed diet?

There is no better diet, its what is better for your dog so to speak. Raw diet is better for my dogs and that is why they are fed on it.

4. decoratedlady08

decoratedlady08 PetForums Member

can i give my pup 15 week old rottie raw chicken wings or do i have too be careful with the bones.
    I am in the process of considering a raw diet for my boys but not sure how much too feed them it all seems very confusing when you first read up on it.
    so far all i have tried is tripe, egg and yogurt and bones from the butchers that still had some meat on, but they all got runny tummys for a couple of days off them :(

5. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Be careful not to try too much in any one go hun. Just introduce something new every 5-7 days, no less. Stick to chicken wings and minced chicken if you can to start, and tripe too. For your dogs, I think 1 or 2 eggs per week is quite enough to be going on with if you wanna give them. The yoghurt is fine too, just mix a dollop in one meal a day - not the whole big pot, lol!

Chicken wings are fine for your pupster - heres a piccie I've posted before, you may not have seen it -

[​IMG]

My pups are weaned straight onto raw minced chicken and slowly introduced to the others. they get wings to play with at approx 3 weeks of age and by 6-7-8 weeks of age are tucking in nicely and finishing the whole lot ;)

6. Ricarda

Ricarda PetForums Newbie

BARF Pet Foods send to Northern Ireland, also Southern Ireland, Channel Islands and IOM, also to Highlands. Think the postage is higher but their stuff is good quality so worth it.

7. decoratedlady08

Thanks. i already feed tripe always have, but they get kibble with it. i have tried them on pilchards and tuna as well which went down well but not so good at the other end :eek: . with diesels health problems we decided too look into feeding raw as a lot of people on here have said it has helped with their dogs allergy problems, even though the vet was against even giving him bones... ? :confused: and if we are feeding it too him we may as well see if it benefits the other 2 as well.
    is there any where i can find out the right portions for their sizes/weight. so i no if i am under/over feeding them?

8. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

This might help?

Quantities

For adults approximately 2 - 3% of their bodyweight per day. Calculate this by multiplying 2/3 by your dog's weight and dividing it by 100.

Eg 2 x 30kg/100 = 600g, 3 x 30kg/100 = 900g.

For puppies feed circa 10% of their present bodyweight or 2-3% of their projected adult weight per day.

However be guided by your hand and eye; if the dog is looking a little too ribby up the amount and reduce if the dog is looking a little too well padded! Dogs will vary on their requirements depending on age, sex, activity level, temperament and time of year etc.

Frequency

Adult dogs should be fed twice a day for the following reasons:

• To minimise the risk of Bloat/GDV
    • To avoid blood sugar fluctuations

Meats

Lamb, beef, chicken, turkey, rabbit, pork, venison, duck, hare, and/or anything you can get your hands on; some dogs regularly chow down on more exotic species.

Dogs require the correct calcium:phosphorus ratio and so it is essential to feed raw meaty bones (RMBs) as well as muscle meat.

Offal such as hearts, lungs, kidneys, tripe, liver is also essential; some offal is muscle such as heart (like tongue).

Fish

Oily fish such as pilchards, mackerel, sardines, etc provide a good source of Omega 3; if it is difficult to obtain fresh, then tinned makes a good substitute. Tuna may contain high levels of mercury and is a less valuable source of Omega 3.

Vegetables

Onions must not be fed to dogs in any form as they can cause haemolytic anaemia which can be fatal. Avocados contain persin which can produce problems in some animals.

All other vegetables may be fed however, for a dog to get any nutritional benefit from vegetables, they must either be pulped or frozen, otherwise they go out the way they went in and can only be used as source of fibre.

Oxalic acid can interfere with calcium absorption; so don't feed too much of Spinach or Chard.

Care should also be taken not to overfeed vegetables from the cruciferous family eg cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, kale, swedes, turnips and broccoli to dogs as this may inhibit thyroid function.

Tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and aubergines all belong to the nightshade family of plants. Dogs who have arthritis may be sensitive to these foods which may exacerbate their condition. It is doubtful if raw potato can be digested successfully in any case.

Garlic is a useful addition to the diet as it performs an antiseptic, antibiotic, antifungal function.

Fruit

All except grapes (and raisins) which can cause kidney failure and death in even very small amounts. Bananas are an excellent source of pre-biotics essential for gut health.

Bear in mind fruit and/or vegetables should not make up more than 10% of diet and can have a laxative effect!

Vegetables and fruit provide many phytonutrients not available from animal sources some of which we as yet do not understand but some of which are thought to have health benefits such a carotenoids, lycopene, flavonoids, indoles, sulforaphanes, anthcyanins, sterols, elegiac acid and lignans

Kelp (seaweed) and alfalfa (lucerne) are examples of green supplements which provide a wide range of vitamins, minerals and neutraceuticals.

Dairy

No animal post weaning consumes milk bar humans however live yoghurt can be very useful for poorly stomachs because of its probiotic content provided that dogs are not intolerant to lactose (milk sugar) and casein (milk protein). As puppies leave their dams equipped with a full set of teeth bones are a more appropriate source of calcium.

Eggs can be given raw each day, the shells are good sources of calcium but only when powdered, otherwise they merely provide roughage.

Grains/cereals

There is no proven need for carbohydrates in the dog’s diet and of course these need to be cooked before they can be successfully digested by the canine.

Books (in order of simplicity/accessibility)

• Switching to Raw by Sue Johnson
    • Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats by Kymythy Schulze CCN
    • Raw & Natural Nutrition for Dogs by Lew Olson PhD
    • The Barf Diet by Ian Billingshurst B.V.Sc (Hons)
    • Give your Dog a Bone by Ian Billingshurst B.V.Sc (Hons)
    • Grow your pups with Bones by Ian Billingshurst B.V.Sc (Hons)
    • Work Wonders by Tom Lonsdale (vet)
    • Raw Meaty Bones by Tom Lonsdale (vet)

Websites - Britbarf, K9nutrition yahoo groups the first is UK the second is an excellent US site run by Lew Olson,

Zelah and Kivasmum like this.
  9. decoratedlady08

thank you so much for all that info, it was good of you.. i will be printing it off and keeping it handy till i can remember what is what.
    i have got chicken wings thawing ready for breakfast tomorrow will be fun too see how they get on. :D
    they always get tripe mixed in kibble for tea so i will keep with that for a while as i introduce other meats.

10. Iyanwell

Iyanwell PetForums Newbie

That,s the best way to feed the dogs.
    Thanks for shraing this typical post.

11. Oggy

Oggy PetForums Newbie

I have started raw feeding the pup and he loves it. He has a mixture of minced chicken and a chicken back later in the day so he is used to it and different textures. When he was eating dry food he used to get a little hyperactive after eating but none of that happens with him eating raw.

Thankfully he doesn't inhale food anything he eats takes a while as he breaks it up first slowly!

It's cheaper than the dry food for him aswell as I picked up 3 chickens from the butcher and cut them up at home so have a few days of food before we look at other meats for him!

As previously mentioned its helped his stools aswell as they are smaller and Defineately do not smell as bad as kibble stools!

12. nath01

nath01 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I am trying to contact member Sazzle who posted in this tread about raw feed. We live on Tenerife as well and I am having a hard time to create a balanced meal with raw feed for the doggies. I would like to discuss this with this member. Also I am trying to get the complete frozen feed imported here if I can get a decent quote (takes a while to reach this little rock unfortunately).
    Hope I get a response!!! Thanks for reading this post!!!

13. sazzle

sazzle PetForums Senior

Hi there, tis I Sazzle. How can I be of help to you?

14. Barkley Star

Barkley Star PetForums Member

We have gone raw! (Well the dogs have, not me!) I decided not to wait until I had found a helpful butcher, since between Co-op, CK's and Raw To Go, it still turns out cheaper than kibble.

They were already used to eating tripe, chicken wings and clubs, tinned salmon and turkey, so week one was based on chicken and tripe. Seeing the satisfaction when they got a bit of carcass for the first time was great! The only new thing was the minces (meat, bone and offal) from Raw To Go, but that went down nicely. The minces give really nice poos so it's great as a stabilizer. They get mince 3 meals a week, for now.

Second week they got to try duck wings and lamb heart -- no problems there. Third week the tiniest bit of liver´, which they loved, and yesterday I tried venison mince for the first time. Leisa had no problem with it, but Soffi was a bit loose. I'm hoping that they take to it, because the minces are fairly cheap and I wanted to use it to introduce more variety.

Next up is liver and kidney, and possibly some fish. I think we got enough variety going for now, so no need to rush things. But I will try to get hold of some cheap brisket for the next step up.

I just had to tell some one who wouldn't think I'm completely bonkers...:eek:

15. cazypetfood

cazypetfood PetForums Newbie

We have now been feeding our 4 German Shepherds on raw meat mixed with a mixer for over 4 years, the dogs love it and have really nice coats.

We also have had 3 litters over 3 years and feed them on a mix of raw meat and puppy mixer, they love it as well.

16. ronnypaston

ronnypaston PetForums Newbie

When feeding your pet, basically take the food and side it to your pet. A bowl is not required unless you want one to put whole egg or body various meats or processed seafood in.

17. nath01

nath01 PetForums Newbie

Hi Sazzle, Sorry only now just noticed yr response! I was curious to find out if you were feeding your dog(s) raw feed now or not? And if yes what you are feeding and where from? I am going mostly to 5Oceanos to buy meat and fish but it is not ideal as what we would be able to buy at home.
    Not sure if I am allowed to put my email up here but since I can't send you a PM I just give it a shot. It is nath@aol.nl I hope you can find the time to fill me in somewhat! Thanks !!!!!

18. edrei

edrei PetForums Newbie

Feeding your dogs with raw food is not a bad idea. If I were you, I would also consider feeding them with vegetables.:)

19. edrei

edrei PetForums Newbie

Feeding your dogs with raw food is not a bad idea. I have been feeding my dogs with raw foods and they really loved it.

If I were you, I would also consider feeding them with vegetables. I have read that it is also nutritious to them so I am thinking of trying this out.:)

20. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

Dogs don't need or get very much from veg I have never fed the boys veg with their meals they are just fed prey model raw.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice