Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Raw feeding diary

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LexiLou2, Mar 19, 2011.

1. dimah

dimah PetForums Junior

I just finished reading this thread - really awesome!

We have a Jack Russell cross who has had some REALLY bad skin problems. When he was younger it would come and go, but in the last 1-2 years he has itchy ears that he scratches incessantly, so bad that it starts to bleed. His ears turn crusty and then spongy to the touch and he's lost most of his hair on them. He also has lumpy red skin between his back legs which looks so sore, but itchy too as we regularly catch him chewing on it! We've tried pretty much every time of cream to help it but the only thing that seems to soothe it is rubbing both areas in vaseline.

Snoopy is primarily our dad's dog, he did take him to the vets a while back and after testing came back with the answer that it was a type of cancer?! That was about 3-4 years ago. It maybe goes without saying I disagree with their verdict...

Anyway - I have for a long time suspected that he has some kind of allergy (we've changed his beds, collars, etc multiple times) from food. Being of a Paleo mindset myself, feeding dogs raw food (as in their wild diet) makes perfect sense to me!

Starting today I am feeding him some raw chicken. He gets plenty of raw bones from the butchers so he is no stranger to raw stuff, but we've never fed him raw meals before. I may get sabotaged by my dad (Snoopy loves Pedigree's markie biscuits) but for the most part I'm going to attempt to give him his meals with raw chicken to start with, and phase in some chicken liver too. I gave him his dinner already tonight and he LOVED it.

Usually he gets a Cesars (terrible, I know!!!) but I'm taking over his feeding or going to attempt to!

Poo-wise, he's had terrible trouble with pooing lately. In the past it would get better but lately it just seems to be getting worse. He's either hugely constipated or has terrible diarrhea!

Has anybody heard of his skin problems or seen anything like it? What do you guys think? Thanks so much in advance for any advice you can give. And really, really great thread! :)

2. cazypetfood

cazypetfood PetForums Newbie

We started feeding a year ago our white bitch German Shepherd, she used to have a build up of a yellow plaque like substance on her teeth, once we changed her diet to a raw dog meat diet the build up has gone and she is having the time of her life.

The yellow has subsided, we found out the yellow build up was due to the oil used in some completes and mixers.

3. tiggerthumper

tiggerthumper PetForums VIP

Well, Prince started his raw diet yesterday!
    Here are some pics of him enjoying his first chicken wing and breast in the sunshine!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have to thank DirtyGertie for all her help, she's been brilliant getting me started!xox

4. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

Just read through this thread and it's nice to see other raw feeders doing well, i've been feeding my 6 month staffy raw since he was 9 weeks old and is doing amazingly well on it, plus he loves his food :)

5. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

I have just finished reading this thread (god, it took ages :eek:) and I will go down the local butcher's first thing tomorrow morning and get Terence some chicken. It sounds brilliant. Especially after a day where he had to go outside to poop every hour and they were all loose, poor baby. Might also check out some ethnic butchers to see what offal they might have to offer once we are established :)

6. Ricarda

Ricarda PetForums Newbie

hello. does anyone know where i can find decent raw food? mince meat from supermarket is too fatty for me.
    any help would be appreciated!

7. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

raw to go and the dog food company, for example. there are loads more.

8. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

If you want a balanced raw food (meat/bone/offal) then Raw To Go is nice quality and they deliver anywhere by courier.

If you are a complete newbie to raw feeding then I suggest you start reading the raw feeding sticky.

Once you know how you wish to feed raw (i.e. complete minces or DIY) then Google can help find suppliers. Some suppliers have limited delivery areas so you'd need to check.

Don't forget your local butcher too.

9. kateh8888

kateh8888 PetForums VIP

Just finished reading this thread...thanks for all the info. Just going into week number 2 on raw with our two and going great. Expecting first delivery from raw to go tomorrow...ordered 40 packs!! Better start emptying the freezer!!

10. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Raw feeding is not a cure all although many who feed raw, myself included, do think it can certainly help with some conditions. In my mind, if nothing else it will be strengthening the immune system.

For us it was allergies for our old english bulldog which highlighted the issue of skin problems being helped by diet. I'll post a few links of containing examples of successes:
    English Bulldog News Forums ~ - Dog Food Change Story: Meet Vegas
    English Bulldog News Forums ~ - Dog Food Change Story: Meet Annie
    Successes | Prey Model Raw

If you do decide to raw feed please do your research on how to do it properly including research into what variation of raw. If you do, I wish you success.

11. cazypetfood

cazypetfood PetForums Newbie

You could give us a go, we sell raw meat, as well as other pet food.

12. sazzle

sazzle PetForums Senior

What a fantastic post.

Just read all this through. Our dog is having a terrible time at the moment with itchy sore skin, he is going in Kennels for a week next week and when he comes out I am going to try the raw diet with him. (We have had all the tests done for mange, fungal infections etc.) The OH isnt very keen on the idea as he is a wimp with raw meat, but its defo going to happen as our boy is slowly getting worse and im worried about the effect all the creams and tablets and injections are going to have on him.

We have been buying what we thought was the best dried food from the pet shop (suckers!!) but I am certain its time for a change for the better.

Thanks so much for taking the time to put all your progress reports on here and making me laugh too.

:smile5::smile5::smile5:

#192 sazzle, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  13. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Well thought I would do a 6 month update.

I LOVE raw feeding. Since starting Lexi on raw we have taken on a rescue Patterdale and he has been put on raw too, and they are both thriving.

I have made a couple of changes since starting thsi thread, Lexi now has 400g a day rather than 310g as she was loosing a bit of weight, I also blend all veg up now rather than leave it whole and add some cod liver oil into their veg mulch as Lexi has been suffering with dry skin.
    Both coats are soft and shiney they have clean teeth are active and lively on walks and calm and chilled in the house.
    I still use DAF minces every day for breakfast and make my own meals on a night. The only meats I have had issues with was venision which Lexi can't eat and heart which again she struggles with.
    All in all the best decision I ever made.

14. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Fantastic to hear :)
    Much the same as you, I would never go back. The dogs and I are so happy with it :smile5:

15. Marcelian

Marcelian PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    the very nice thought have this on it,
    please keep it up !!!!

16. The Natural Pet Pantry

The Natural Pet Pantry PetForums Newbie

If you starting off with the raw food, i would try her on either Natures menu or natural instinct, that way you do not have to worry about large bits of bone.

17. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

I wouldn't recommend them to start with personally i start with chicken wings/carcasses/backs depending on the size of the dog and feed bone in chicken until they are used to it.

18. sazzle

sazzle PetForums Senior

Well........we have started the raw with Chio.

We started him on Saturday evening with a chicken wing. After about half an hour of pacing the house with it in his mouth and crying, he decided to give it a go. I stayed with him the whole time, he chewed the bits of rib bones very well that were attached, but didnt completely finish it all. No sickness or runny bum.:)

He had chicken breast this morning, again he spent around half an hour walking round the house with a piece of it, crying his eyes out. He did eat it in the end after I cut it up into smaller chunks and Daddy did some sweet talking.

Pooh time on tonights walkies was fine, a little on the soft side but not a great pile as normal.

Feeling very excited about it all and cant wait for a couple of weeks to pass by to see if his skin starts to get better.

Will give it another week and then try him with some rabbit. Hopefully the crying will have died down by then. :confused1:

Big thanks to this forum which has given me the courage to try raw feeding. Have read the raw posts over and over again and feel very positive about it all at the moment, :thumbup:

19. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

It's been interesting reading. Well done - not many people can keep me interested for 20 pages! ;)

I'm getting my first bulk order this weekend!

Louie has been fed rabbit, lamb, beef and chicken over the past few months but dry the rest of the time. The past two weeks he has gotten bad at scratching and nibbling.

Louie's first raw meal was a whole naked rabbit and it took him 45 minutes to eat it and he slept the whole night :thumbup:

So 15.5kg of raw food is on it's way on Saturday - should last me a month, depending on whether I have the bitch or the other dog here - it's mainly for Louie but for £25 I can't grumble - especially as Louie and Benjie are to be fed 540g a day and Sadie just under 400g. I have had a look at raw2go and it looks a lot cheaper but the delivery price lets it down..

20. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

yes the delivery charge is high but still costs me less getting raw from there than it does to feed complete kibble plus the quality is fantastic and Lesley is amazing

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice