Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Raw feeding diary

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LexiLou2, Mar 19, 2011.

1. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Well today is day one of operation feed Lexi a raw diet. I thought it might be nice to do a two week diary, so anyone else nervous to take that step can follow a beginner.

Lexi gets fed twice a day, her main bigger meal of 200g of meat in a morning and about 110g of meat for her tea.

We started raw feeding with her tea today.

For her tea she has just had her first chicken drumstick....she was a bit confused to begin with, licked it for a good five minutes, had a nibble took the skin off, then tried to swallow the thing whole!!!!! :blink: anyway due to pre-warning i was keeping a very close eye on her, so grabbed the other end and held it so she had to chew and break the bone up. Except for a very small incident where she chewed my finger (OW!!!!) instead of the chicken leg it went very well and she seemed to enjoy it....
    Chicken mince for breakfast tomorrow.

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Try bashing up the drumstick, keep an old tea towel or similar for this purpose, wrap the chicken drumstick or wing in it so it doesn't shoot off the counter when you hit it, and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to bash the heck out of it. ;)

3. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

That's a really good idea...save me getting my finger chewed...shes a staffie so her jaws are fairly powerful...felt a bit bad as she caught me i obviously went ow quite loudly and then we had maybe a minute when she was scared of chewing the chicken again...I obviously scared her.

4. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I've helped a few people switch over, and have switched a few dogs over myself, so have the practical experience. Good luck, they do well on it, both my girls have been raw fed since pups and they LOVE it!

5. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

Oh a diary is a great idea hon, well done u 4 giving it a go ;)

6. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

What a lovely idea :thumbup:

7. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Bon appetite Lexi! ;)

8. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Well post first raw meal i thought i would update, I thought she would be really unsettled and confused because we havwen't been through her normal 'teatime' routine but, and i may be reading too much into this, but she has been very chilled out and relaxed all night and seems very content. Seems a good sign.

9. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Morning of day two.

She has been a little bit sick over night, with tiny bits of bone in it...however if you don't know her background we were trying to stop her pooping through the night, and although she was sick she didn't poop. If i hadn't read up first and she had been sick I would have been panicking however I know that it is fairly normal and can happen so remaining calm. She is fine in her self and has pooped normally twice.
    She has just had 200g of chicken mince with mushed carrot and parsnip for her breakfast. She adored it, licked her bowl clean and came looking for more.
    She looks at you when you feed her as if to say wowo mum this is so yummy!
    Will update again either after tea or tomorrow!! :001_smile:

10. babycham2002

3 out of 4 of mine were a little sick in the night when i first started giving wings.
    Glad its going well and shes enjoying her food so much
    good news about the poop in the night . :)

11. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Day two tea time.

For tea she has had 100g chicken mince with a raw chopped up carrot for a bit of crunch...she loves carrot.

She had a poop this afternoon and it was very solid and very formed but really small which is apparantly a good thing.

Will update again tomorrow.

12. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

LOL we have had the same. We have gone from needing nearly two poo bags for my eldest boy to only needing one - what a difference.

13. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Day three

Today is day three of raw feeding she has again had 200g mince and veg for breakfast and 100 g mince for tea.

One thing i am struggling with is what to give her as treats, we have had a huge issue with retriving with Lexi ie throw a ball and she fetches it back she used tojust run off, however have no got a very good routine that if she brings it back she gets a 'treat' now it has always been one little kibble bit per each retrive, we probably throw the ball less than 10 time per walk, throw it a fair distance and more then 10 throws you end up fetching it yourself. We play fetch right at the start of the walk so there is probably an hour before her tea...am i ok to still give her these little kibble bits? If not anyone any suggestions of treats she won't eat carrot apple etc when out on a walk I don't know why.

With the raw feeding its going really well she is enjoying her meals her poo's have cut down to 2 or 3 a day, she isn't drinking as much so not weeing as much and she is happier in herself.

We have had no pooping through the night at all since moving to raw.

14. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

It's aways difficult knowing what to give as treats when feeding raw. Of course it's easy when you're at home because you can give carrots, apples etc but when out, like yours mine won't eat them. I have always given quartered chocolate drops, my reasoning is they digest very quickly as they melt quickly too and have never had a prob. Have to confess that with Flynn, because he can be a pain when out so I need something he can't resist, I give him quartered dolly mixtures - he's a spoilt boy thouhgh, lol.
    Because my Mals are a breed prone to bloat I never feed them for a couple of hours, either before or after a walk but i'm sure choccy buttons will be okay for your lil kid! ;)

Isn't the change in poo amazing? and they don't smell half as bad either, something you'll notice evn more on a hot summers day when picking up!

15. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Brilliant i have choc drops and she adores them (mummy may have given her a few too many when we first found she loved them and she turned into a little porker, so they are rationed) but if i half them and shes running about chasing her ball she'll be fine.

She is so funny with veg, I have three rabbits and they get fresh veg every day, so in the house she'll eat carrots apple strawberries cucumber...anything i give to the rabbits, raw cabbage by the leaf ( i don't give her full cabbage leaves i dropped one once and she ate it) but try and give her fruit and veg out on a walk or in a training class and she looks at you as if you have just grown another head.

16. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Lol - well what do you expect? after all it's a walk and special things happen when you're out there, special treats too! :D

17. babycham2002

All sounds good good good :thumbup:

I bake kidneys and chop up for treats :) Although that might put out your ratios

18. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Day 5

We are still going well, we had sardines in tomato sauce for tea. i have had a re jig of a few things, 2 nights a week she is now going to have chicken chunks with offal and veg and I have also added some veg into her other mince meals,just raw as she adores it, looks nicer now although i know there is no nutritional value.
    Have put a bulk order in so will be introducing other meats over the coming weeks. So far so good, no looking back. She was sick on her first night but since then no more sick down to 2 small poo's a day no pooping in the house and no wind.

19. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

So pleased to hear this, the effects can be amazing in such a short space of time, the poo is a great bonus, when mine have had bones as a treat their poo is chalky and it just disintegrates in the wind, bio degradeable poo with no niffs, nowt better :D will b following your diary with great enthusiasm hon, where u ordering your food and what have u ordered

20. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

I've ordered from raw2go this time, and I am going to try The dog food company next time.
    I have ordered, chicken mince turkey mince, lamb mince, venison mince, rabbit mince, some kidney, heart, liver, chicken wings and turkey necks, there is enough for 12 weeks and it came to £49 including delivery which i though was a bargain. on top of that she has some lamb ribs from the butchers and some chicken chunks.
    The lady at raw2go said that the meat stores for 12 weeks so thats good and she was very very helpful she said the minces are roughly 80:10:10 but she was very helpful in explaining how if i still wanted to feed meaty bones how i could make sure my rations stay the same.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice