Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw feeding changes

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Urbanhowl, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Urbanhowl

Urbanhowl PetForums Member

Just wondering, how long did it take for you to see changes in your dogs after swapping them to a raw diet? (Presuming that they weren't on raw from the off here!)

Nushka and Zeph have been on raw since Sunday (changed them cold turkey) they've had no adverse affects from changing, so no funny tums, but are looking forward to and eating each meal with relish! :thumbup: Both seem to have more energy, and Zeph's teeth already (which weren't bad for an 8 year old) are starting look whiter and his gums better. Nushka is also starting to really "bulk out", she's not long turned 5 months and while she's always been growing a lot height-wise she's not been that "meaty" for a Malamute but since being on raw she's started to really gain some muscle (note: she's not overweight now, nor was she underweight before).

Did it take you long to see the benefits of raw in your dogs? It's completely sold me. :)

2. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

subtle changes within the week but after a month her coat was different, her teeth better her energy levels were better etc.

3. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

With a week or 2 he smelled a LOT better and his coat was softer. He's always had good teeth but I noticed after about a month that they were literally gleaming :D

Unwanted change ;) was after a few weeks I realised he was started to podge out :eek: so cut his meal sizes down and got stricter with treats and after another few weeks he looked fine again.

4. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

I'm guilty of that to be honest when I took Nala to see SL first thing she said was your dog is getting fat....so puppy diet ensued and she is now looking much better.

5. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

I think it's so easy to over-feed on raw :eek: as 1. the portions they need can look pretty small and 2. the dogs love it so much!

6. Urbanhowl

Thanks guys, good and useful to hear. Will be keeping an eye on Nushka then, that she doesn't end up getting a bit porky with all the growth she is doing. :p She's definitely a really good shape at the moment (she has a waist, curves in after her chest, easy feel her ribs etc), but I'll definitely keep a close eye on her.

Zeph always hated kibble, so it was a real challenge to keep track of what he was eating or how much as my mum would always be very helpful and feed him nice bits of cooked meat (no bones obviously) etc when he wouldn't eat and was being fussy! Haha :rolleyes: Now he's on raw he cleans the bowl and is happy with just that, so it's sooo much easier for me to know exactly what amount he is eating. Currently trying him on 2.5% of his ideal weight to see how that goes, as I would like him to lose two lbs or so ideally as well.

7. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

As others.. within about a week coats started changing although we kept saying it couldn't be different after that short amount of time.

8. sazzle

sazzle PetForums Senior

9. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Louie was on raw 2 days before my sister said "Did you bath him? His coats shinier" :p But then his coats never been dull.

Lozzibear's Jake is the most impressive case of raw change I've seen. Hopefully she'll post some before and after pictures.

10. Urbanhowl

Wow, fantastic! :thumbup: I bet you are so relieved for him. :) None of my dog's have skin conditions, but Zeph does suffer from sebaceous cysts a lot - he had one earlier this year pop and it almost had to be operated on. Does anyone have any idea if it would make these any better?

11. Amy-manycats

Amy-manycats PetForums Senior

With Jess she stopped guarding her food and ate it :D bodily changes took a while but she was happy immediately.

With G immediately. The food when she came to me did not suit her at all. She changed hugely when I put her on a good food then once we knew she was staying put her on raw. Her skin started to improved really quickly, but took a while to fully get better. She smelt better within the week. Poos better straigt away. She calmed a bit but that took longer and other things were subtle and given the state she came in I can't out it down purely to diet. Improvments in her muscle tone increased greatly after the diet change.

#11 Amy-manycats, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice