Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw feeding, buying meals and completers from manufacturers

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by 2Trewblue, Jun 18, 2020.

1. 2Trewblue

2Trewblue PetForums Junior

So I've been feeding both cats (Armin, 1 year old Persian boy and 6 month Chinchilla Persian) pre-bought complete meals from a mobile pet food company for a while now. I also buy adhoc from a manufacturer. I feed the odd encore pouch.

I'd like to hear about other people's experiences of feeding complete meals, adding completers to pure meat and also whether you still feed canned or dried food.

I'm not against making my own recipes but at the moment not in a position to buy a lot of supplements or a mincer and also realise the risk in using supermarket /butchers meat.

I'm a member of a few Facebook groups for Persians and someone on their feeds raw and dried at different times. I was under the impression that you were to ditch dried altogether.

2. Seb_the_Siamese

Seb_the_Siamese PetForums Junior

It is indeed best that you ditch the dry food all-together. Raw feeding does not need to include any supplements at all actually - the recipe I started off with was just:
    Whole chicken
    Chicken or Lamb hearts
    Chicken liver
    Eggs and sardines - you might also want to mix some water in to ensure they're getting enough hydration

And thats it! A mincer isn't really necessary at all (Assuming that both your cats have healthy teeth) - You can start by dicing the meat finely, almost to a mince-like consistency. Soon they will learn to chew and become more proficient with bones. I ask my butcher to cut up the whole chicken for us and my 15 week old baby handles meat chunks the size of my thumb just fine (and I have big hands!).

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I feed a rotation of 2 meat completers and modified prey model (using egg shell calcium rather than bone).

No kibble. EVER.

I feed a canned meal once or twice a month, just to make sure their bodies can handle it, if something should happen where I couldn't feed them raw for a period of time.

Raw feeding for over 8 years now.

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Might be useful if you put links to the people you are buying from, apart from the Encore which is in a lot of supermarkets in the UK.

Seb_the_Siamese likes this.
  5. 2Trewblue

Ah lovely, thanks so sharing your experiences. So how do you ensure your meals are complete/ at the right levels of nutrition. I know some people use online calculators?

I have to say I'm reticent about buying supermarket or butchers meat, I've heard from various sources that this can be problematic, the meat is not fresh enough as its intended to be cooked!

6. 2Trewblue

Worth noting that only one seems to deal with bone, the other actually picks out any little bits of bone and leaves it on the side of the plate, that's Persians for you!

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I won't feed supermarket or butchers minced meat raw to my cats, because it's not frozen after being minced but only chilled. But I have bought whole joints of meat from supermarkets and minced it at home using a meat grinder. Less surface area on a joint of meat (as opposed to mince) for bacteria.

If you include bone in your recipe you need to ensure your completer supplement doesn't contain calcium. As one of your cats is picking out the bone and leaving it s/he may not be getting enough calcium in his/her diet.

One of mine doesn't like eating bone either. So I don't add bone to the recipe and I add Felini Complete supplement (which does contain calcium) to the food right before serving.

As far as how much to add, the manufacturer's instructions are one scoop of Felini to 100 grams of raw food. The Felini ingredients are listed on the tub or on the ZooPlus website and follow the RDA of nutrients for cats.

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I use meat completers, also sometimes called pre-mixes. I am in the US so can't advise on products available in the UK. EZcomplete, made by Food Fur Life, a completer made with whole foods instead of synthetic vitamins, does ship to the UK. The other product I use does not.

I use grocery store meat, but I never buy pre-ground meat, whole cuts only. I am careful to check dates and buy only meats that have a use or freeze by date at least 5 days ahead. One cat has to have her meals ground (I use a food processor attachment to my blender) and the other eats small chunks. I freeze meal size portions in ice cube trays then bag and label and add the pre-mix at time of feeding.

I take each days meals out in the morning and store them, per meal in little glass jars in the fridge. By the time it's time to use them they are still frozen but just soft enough to work with. I thaw/warm them by adding a little hot water with the pre-mix, and sitting the dish in another dish of hot water and stir.

My only cat who ever would eat bone is gone now, but she really loved to chomp into a wing or neck.

Just for fun here's my Jennie (Angel) enjoying a Cornish hen wing middle, and a neck. She was a real pro, probably because when I rescued her she was raising a litter all by herself..by hunting. Jennie really loved her raw diet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice