UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I haven't bought any books on raw feeding, I just did a lot of research on here and the internet. I have seen books by Tom Lonsdale recommended - Works Wonders and Give Your Dog A Bone come to mind, although I'm sure there are others members would recommend.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
Tom Lonsdales - Work wonders, I have it in paperback and kindle

The great thing about the kindle copy is you can download the app on your pc, phone whatever and read it straight away .

I keep an eye out for a cheap copy of give your dog a bone but wouldnt buy it at full price, as leans more towards barf style i believe

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I've read all through the stickies on here (took ages!), and loads of other stuff on the Internet, but I quite like having a book to just flick through, or to check something quickly without trawling through loads of posts. :)

·
Registered
789 Posts
The books I looked at weren't much use tbh. For practical guidance nothing has been as good as this forum. Books say feed bone, but don't give examples. I know that sounds silly, but I read a couple of books and still had no idea what to actually feed. Until I found the forum I only fed prize choice mince and chicken wings as I didn't know what bones could and couldn't be eaten. I tried walking into the butcher and asking for 'meaty bones' as the books call them and got laughed at!

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
See i feed strictly prey model no veggies here at all!

TBH most of the books won't be any good as a quick reference guide for answers they aren't written like that unfortunately
agree with this :)

The books I looked at weren't much use tbh. For practical guidance nothing has been as good as this forum. Books say feed bone, but don't give examples. I know that sounds silly, but I read a couple of books and still had no idea what to actually feed. Until I found the forum I only fed prize choice mince and chicken wings as I didn't know what bones could and couldn't be eaten. I tried walking into the butcher and asking for 'meaty bones' as the books call them and got laughed at!
Not liking you being laughed at, just agreeing with you :smile:

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
Some books are excellent sources of information.

The ones I have I have rated thus: (in order of simplicity/accessibility/usefulness)

• Switching to Raw by Sue Johnson (good introductory book)
• Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats by Kymythy Schulze CCN
• Raw & Natural Nutrition for Dogs by Lew Olson PhD
• The Barf Diet by Ian Billingshurst B.V.Sc (Hons)
• Give your Dog a Bone by Ian Billingshurst B.V.Sc (Hons)
• Grow your pups with Bones by Ian Billingshurst B.V.Sc (Hons)
• Work Wonders by Tom Lonsdale (vet)
• Raw Meaty Bones by Tom Lonsdale (vet)
• The Best Dog Diet Ever by Caroline Griffith (very poor)

Websites - Britbarf, K9nutrition yahoo groups; the first is UK the second is an excellent US site run by Lew Olson; B-Naturals and Dogaware also contain excellent nutritional advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.