UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Isla is raw fed (and has been since we got her at 8wks, she's now 5 months). She eats in mince form: rabbit, chicken, tripe, turkey and beef & heart. However bone-in meals are getting increasingly difficult. She's very happy with chicken. Thoroughly enjoyed Stag ribs (that a neighbour very kindly left outside my door!), however can't get those on and ongoing basis. She recently ate a pig rib but that was getting a bit whiffy and I was on the point of throwing it out. I've put a lamb rib out many times recently and she wont touch it, tho happy to guard it. From my research I understand that she should be eating 3 different types of prey. So, my question is, is this a big problem

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Does she get any lamb or pork in just meat or mince form? could be that she isn't used to those meats or maybe finds those bones too hard?
If possible you could try other smaller animal bones like duck, turkey, pheasant, rabbit, guinea fowl or anything else you can get a hold of.
Most minces from raw suppliers have bone in so wouldn't worry too much but as you probably know it's munching on meaty bones that cleans the teeth so well ;)
Also you said that the pork rib ended up smelly and that the lamb rib was left out and her just guarding it, i would personally recommend you give her a set amount of time to eat her food and if she doesn't then it gets taken away and nothing else given til next meal where she gets offered it again, and repeat etc.
(sorry if you already do this just the impression i got from what you wrote :eek:)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's getting lots of variation from the minces (which might contain bone too), so I wouldn't see it as a problem if she only has bone from chicken.
Does she get any lamb or pork in just meat or mince form? could be that she isn't used to those meats or maybe finds those bones too hard?
If possible you could try other smaller animal bones like duck, turkey, pheasant, rabbit, guinea fowl or anything else you can get a hold of.
Most minces from raw suppliers have bone in so wouldn't worry too much but as you probably know it's munching on meaty bones that cleans the teeth so well ;)
Also you said that the pork rib ended up smelly and that the lamb rib was left out and her just guarding it, i would personally recommend you give her a set amount of time to eat her food and if she doesn't then it gets taken away and nothing else given til next meal where she gets offered it again, and repeat etc.
(sorry if you already do this just the impression i got from what you wrote :eek:)
Thank you both very much. Minces do not contain bone, and sorry forgot, she does also have lamb mince. Thanks for the idea on the smaller bones, I'll give that a try she used to quite happily eat a chicken quarter, but now will only eat if cut in two. Maybe we are pandering to her, will try leaving the food down for a period of time before removing it. Also I'm wondering if she would like something a little more gamey as she so enjoyed the Stag ribs. Thanks again :D

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
I would aim to feed more then 3 protein sources for example i feed the meat and bones from

chicken
turkey
duck
pork
beef
lamb
rabbit
venison
pheasent
squirrel
etc

i try to ensure they get a variety of different bones as they all have slightly different mineral content, the same as the meat

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would aim to feed more then 3 protein sources for example i feed the meat and bones from

chicken
turkey
duck
pork
beef
lamb
rabbit
venison
pheasent
squirrel
etc

i try to ensure they get a variety of different bones as they all have slightly different mineral content, the same as the meat
Hi Pogo, yes this is exactly my concern. I think she's OK meat-wise (she also has fish (salmon, sardine and pilchards so far) it's just the lack of variety of bone. Tho don''t feel I could feed squirrel (we have red ones here) unless its roadkill :)

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Hi Pogo, yes this is exactly my concern. I think she's OK meat-wise (she also has fish (salmon, sardine and pilchards so far) it's just the lack of variety of bone. Tho don''t feel I could feed squirrel (we have red ones here) unless its roadkill :)
the squirrel i feed is either road kill or caught by the boys ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.