Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

raw feeders

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by davehyde, Aug 13, 2009.

1. davehyde

davehyde Banned

i am going to start giving the mutt some raw food along with his kibble. he loves raw meat.

i have some chicken thighs with the bone in and skin on.

i know it's ok to give him uncooked raw chicken bones but someone reassure me it will ok to just give him the whole thigh as it is.

i dont want him choking on it or something .

i have also sourced a local supply of dog ready raw food at 40p lb, prepared ie: minced and mixed, straight from the abbatoir made by a very good breeder and judge.

so his diet is gonna change a little and be more varied.

2. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I feed raw every other day. MIne have thigh even the pup. Just keep an eye on him 1st couple of time's

3. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I really want to try raw with mine, at the moment I am looking for a cheap source for it. I have tried the odd bits before with some of them, much to my Oh's nan's disgust and arguments that they should just be fed what we eat :rolleyes:

My dogs loved it, I was stood there watching and panicking they might choke :eek:

4. Badger's Mum

I started mine off on normal frozen mince from a butcher, and big meaty bone's. I don't no enough to advise anyone properly but there are a few people on here who helped me with mine:D

5. davehyde

davehyde Banned

thats what i thought tbh.
    i want to make sure he doesnt try and gulp it down in one and chews it up.

i cut the two up for his brekkie but it must be more fun for him to rip it to pieces hisself lol.

6. Molly's Mum

Molly's Mum PetForums VIP

I am in the same boat, I am going to start my 3 off on raw today, I've never done it before but going to give it a go, even the little one :D:D

7. Badger's Mum

someone on here said if they gulp it hold it till they learn to chew, My lab would have my finger's as well if i did that:eek:. :D. Mine eat veg as well. Must admit if it's cold i do make mine a stew If they've been working to warm em up abit. Chat ya butcher up for bone's.

8. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

Your butcher will give you bones and scraps for nothing. Mine have to pay to have all that stuff taken away so i can just go in and get a carrier bag full of bits. They had a lambs ribcage the other week. there was still enough meat on it for me to have cooked if i'd wanted to.

9. Billy has raw a few times a week along with his naturediet.

A thigh should be absoloutly fine in your goldie - if i was giving it to billy i would hack it up a little bit.

For the first couple of times keep hold of it until he gets the idea he has to chew it and doesnt try to swallow it whole. If he seems fine though just go for it and feed as is.

Billy loves lamb ribs, chicken wings n thighs, turkey necks etc. The general rule of thumb for feeding is non-weight bearing bones in mammals. So basicaly ribs etc ok - but beef shin etc should be for recreation only - theyre a bit hard and can chip teeth if the dog is trying to break them down.

Just my opinion - and no doubt it varies breed to breed too - bigger dog or stronger jaw should mean they can tackle the stronger bones.

There is a lady on here kilsabarians (sp?) who is very well read up on raw feeding - she'll be able to advise more for you!

10. Badger's Mum

Iceland have bag's of chicken my dog and kid's love me:D

11. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

mine are fed on raw every day :D,
    they have green tripe, lambs hearts, ox liver as well as other bits and bobs, they also have a rack of lambs ribs once a fortnight :thumbup:

12. Badger's Mum

Raw feeding calmed my springer down, and helped the pup with nipping, gave her somthing to chew other than my leg:D

13. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Do the kids cope well with raw feeding? :eek:

Badger's Mum likes this.
  14. Badger's Mum

Yeah at 14 an 17 they're fine:rolleyes: good shinny hair:p. As a treat i cook for them on a sunday:D:D

15. davehyde

davehyde Banned

update.

he loved the raw, ate it like a true gentleman.

he has had it twice a day with kibble as well as i want to build up his chest and he needs a little weight around the ribs too.

something to do with showing 'light' when in the ring.

he ate the chicken bones and all no problems.

so from now on we will be giving him a bit of both until i maybe make the transition to totally raw.

storage is my only problem with a raw diet really as i enjoyed making his chicken dinners up.

16. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You need to be careful feeding dry and raw on the same day. They digest at different rates, and this can lead to problems.

17. Badger's Mum

Sound's like agood start. tripe and i think someone said lamb is good for gaining.

18. davehyde

davehyde Banned

aha i didnt know that.

will be a bit more careful now then.

19. Badger's Mum

I dry feed every other day if that help's

20. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

When I first gave a raw chicken wing I watched my dog to be sure he was ok. He didn't seem to know what to do with it, he wasn't using his paws to keep it in place and licked it all over the garden lol, and when I had to go out I took it off him and put it in a little plastic bowl to give to him when I got back, as soon as I put it down my other little dog came whizzing past and nicked it :eek:hmy: greedy little bugger had eaten it before I could get to him :eek: I was so worried that he may have a problem passing it later that I then watched him every time he went for a poo for the next 24 hours :blushing:

Now they each get a wing and go to their own little spot in the garden and they are gone in 10 mins... if that ! I also mix some raw mince in with their royal canin and give them lamb bones... although not my oldest as they give him sloppy poos... not nice to have to wash off his floor length locks :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice