Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw Feeders, would this freezer be big enough?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GoldenShadow, May 7, 2011.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I don't know what size freezer I need :cryin:

Want to get a months supply (so probably about 15kgs) of meat and the like in there.

This is the one I'm thinking of going for:

Bosch Freezer Freezers for Sale chelmsford Essex

Dimensions are 57cm deep, 60cm wide and 85cm high.

2. Elmo the Bear

Elmo the Bear PetForums VIP

We have two freezers that size and feed 6 of ours raw... there's more than enough room in the two so if you're feeding one dog it should be enough..

... don't forget to allow for your bones as they're "awkward" to fit in.

3. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Mines that size and I fitted 35 kg in it last night :)

4. GoldenShadow

Brilliant thanks!

Not gone for that one as it's 35 mins OUT of Chelmsford so not even anywhere near :rolleyes:

Babycham I have a dilemma :(

Scott does ox offal and Landywoods beef, but Landywoods have so much more for Rupert. I might do them and buy my offal from supermarkets? They do lamb mince, lamb bones, lamb tripe, turkey wings, turkey necks etc no pork at all only some beef.

Never easy is it..! Got ny eye on a freezer on EBay at the minute I gumtree'd another and it had gone already.

5. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Have a look at Littlewoods before you commit to anything. I got an absolute bargain from there when mine died a couple of weeks ago. I got a 200litre chest freezer for just over £200, everyone else wanted over £400 for a similar size.... and they delivered within 3 days!

6. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

What about DAF Petfoods? They are brill and service is fantastic. They've just given me a free 20lb box of chicken mince because they didn't have any on the van for my last order.

7. Elmo the Bear

Elmo the Bear PetForums VIP

We've only ever used LandyWoods and we've found them to provide a quality product, reliable delivery and we've not found them bettered on price. I've no experience of others though.

8. GoldenShadow

If they are the Durham people I don't think they deliver here, I'm in Essex they don't seem to come further south than Lincolnshire I don't think :(

Oooh thanks that's good to know! Can I ask if you get lamb bones much? Says when available on their website do they not have them often? Rupert doesn't tolerate pork or beef well so I can't even give him offal unless it's lamb or chicken etc :(

9. dalehitchy

dalehitchy PetForums Member

i got a freezer from argo... was just over £100.....
    its a chest freezer.... so its alot easier to store meat and bones..... as you dont have to bother with little compartments

10. babycham2002

Joes mum uses landywoods and is really pleased with them, plus their tripe etc comes in 1lb bags :)
    Worse comes to worse, you try one one month and one the next :)

11. GoldenShadow

Any idea how easy it is to get heart, liver and kidney that isn't pork or beef in supermarkets?

He might potentially be OK on the beef its pork he has more problems with and I was told it was a 'good idea' to remove anything beef from his diet... Ehhhhh :sleep:

12. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

Morrisons is always good for offal. We can get lamb liver and kidneys in ours as well as chicken livers plus beef liver and kidneys too (which is more common then the lamb ones).

13. GoldenShadow

Ahhh brilliant lamb liver and lamb kidney would be great! Pretty sure my butchers do lamb heart.

Our Morrisons isn't huge though I will have to go for a gander. I guess I could just buy lots and lots and lots if they have it and freeze it all for a couple months and it'd be fine, right?!

I know I sound really stupid but I want to do it right :(

Don't suppose you know, out of the 80:10:10 ratio (Meat:Bone:Offal, is it 80:10:10?!), does it matter what kind of offal goes to make up 10%? Is tripe just 'offal' like the rest sort of thing?

14. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

Buying in bulk and freezing is fine - they do lamb hearts as well but that's classed as meat rather then offal (but it's quite rich so I don't tend to give it too often).

I've seen different opinions on tripe - some class as offal and some as meat. Personally I treat it as offal. For the 80:10:10 ratio I tend to average it out over the week but I make sure about 5% is liver (as I feed prey model I go by organ weight and the liver is one of the largest).

ETA: You don't sound stupid at all! Better to ask then worry.

15. GoldenShadow

So just to clarify, is that 5% of the 10% offal or half of the 10% and 5% of the whole dietary intake being liver?

I have tried reading some stuff but its so confusing :eek:

16. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

Sorry not clear - that's half of the offal (half the 10%). The main thing is to tailor the diet to your dog specifically. My boy gets more then 10% bone as he can have quite a loose stomach so I find a bit more bone firms him up. I just watch his poo - if it get's too loose I lower the amount of offal and up the bone, too dry and I decrease the bone.

Think of the 80:10:10 as a starting guide and then adjust according to Rupert's needs.

17. GoldenShadow

Brilliant thanks very much! I wouldn't be surprised if Rupert is in the additional bone category. I have already asked Babycham the other day, but I was wondering with the likes of a chicken wing, how do you guesstimate what % is bone and meat?!

So far the idea I've got is:

Boney sort of breakfast meal like chicken or turkey wings/necks and some ice cubes of veg that I have yet to work out.

Dinner time some sort of mince (lamb or chicken probably but Landywoods chicken says it has bone added...), offal and veg ice cubes then.

Before bed at the minute I have to give him a handful of kibble else he is sick at 5am, so I'm thinking something like goats milk (thanks Six Star!!) and a biscuit or something similar for that at the moment.

Does that sound roughly OK as a starting point?? Still got to track a freezer down going to put a wanted ad in the paper :)

18. babycham2002

L/C has given good advice :)

I dont count the tripe in the offal mix
    Yes half of the 10% so 5% overall needs to be liver.

If your morrisons has its own butcher which I think most do then you will be fine although I do stock up because they can sell quite quickly. If you're really lucky somedays they will have lamb bones you can have as well. I got 6 trays of them the other day :)
    My morrisons has, chicken livers, pigs liver heart and kidneys, lambs liver and kidneys, ox heart and kidneys.
    Both tescos and sainsburys stock liver reguarly oh and asda too. But not so much the other bits.

Your menu does look good although depending on how much time you had in the mornings I would swap the boney meal to the evening purely as a time saving measure :)

19. GoldenShadow

I could do it any way round, what makes you think bone in evening may be easier, in terms of time to eat it and the like?

You're probably right, I think I did it bone in the morning as that'd form a smaller meal quite well and I prefer to give him a light brekky. Maybe a bit of mince and some offal for brekky, then some more mince, couple boney bits (like chicken wings) at dinner time?

Its just the way we do a lot in the day (if we aren't walking and its hot he's usually playing about with Milo 24/7) and I'm always a bit like is it better for him to have say 40% his daily quota in the morning and 60% at tea time when he's not going to be running about so much? Maybe it would be better 60% in the morning etc but I worry a bit about all that food sat in his tum :eek: He normally gets a carrot and couple treats throughout the day so he doesn't starve :eek:

I got some chicken liver from Sainsbury's the other week actually I will have to look there. I might pop round some of the supermarkets next week we've got enough freezer space to store some offal :)

I can't even remember if our Morrisons has a butcher how bad is that :rolleyes: Its not a huge Morrisons but then now I live in a big town I think I've lost track of what's big and what isn't :blink:

Do you count heart as meat or offal babycham? And if I'm doing 5% liver, should the other 5% be kidney or does it not matter? Should it be NO MORE than 5% liver?!

Sorry I'm a right plank :eek:

20. babycham2002

If you're in chelmsford yours does have a butchers
    Chelmsford Store details - Morrisons

My thinking was, if you're rushed like me some mornings you wouldnt want to be standing around making sure he crunched all his bones properly :smile:

I count heart as meat because it is so meaty, others may be different though. A little more than 5% liver isnt going to kill them but it should be made up to 10% by something else, I think some use lung but I cant get lung anywhere at the moment. So yes at the moment I make it up with kidney.

Have you read tom lonsdales RMB? It is available on amazon as paperback and on kindle. It is very helpful

Mine have bigger evening meals too :).
    Mince in the morning or a couple chicken wings, then bones,mince and veg natural yoghurt etc at night. This is for their tums and also because I have more time to make up the big varied meals then

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice