Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw feeders... where do you get your food from?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dandogman, Aug 25, 2013.

1. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Do you get your food from a butcher, abattoir, online supplier?

What do you get and how much does it cost?

2. Canine K9

Canine K9 Bailey Woof

You going raw Dan? I`m considering it again and I`ll just get mine from supermarket and butchers and p@H raw section but then I only have 1 small dog.

3. clayton1985

clayton1985 PetForums VIP

local butchers now and green tripe our local pet shop gets it in really cheap....costs us very little to feed raw but we have landed lucky

4. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I'm going part raw to begin with, we'll see how we go!

5. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

Mainly local suppliers and OH's work.

And the supermarket if I'm on my way home and have forgotten to take anything out to defrost :rolleyes: I don't recommend that way, it gets really expensive.

6. lozzibear

lozzibear PetForums VIP

Abattoirs for the main food they get, it is really cheap, fresh and good quality.

For the other stuff I use suppliers, mainly DAF but I have used a couple other suppliers... I tend to chop and change them and I have been put off one of them because they no longer deliver themselves and only do it by courier so it is going to cost too much.

I spend around £30 a month for 2 dogs, both roughly 25kg (been a while since they were weighed).

7. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

mainly from an online supplier and bits from the supermarket

8. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

In order of quantity bought on average (descending)

The Dog Food Company
    David's Doggie Dinners
    Morrisons
    Local Butchers

Willows main diet consists of chicken carcasses, veal ribs and pigs trotters, obviously with green tripe and offal added and smaller amounts of other meats

9. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Davids Doggy Dinners
    Nurturing By Nature
    At Christmas I buy Natural Instinct Turkey ^^''

10. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

MVM or Tescos. :D

11. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Abattoirs. Cow and Sheep stomachs, hearts, lungs, liver, and complete plucks from one and chicken necks and carcasses from another. Costs about £25 a month for two pointers including salmon oil, goat milk and yogurt and veg. Should be a bit less when little man stops growing.

12. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

Majority of it I get from Raw 2 Paw. I order 2 months worth at a time for around £60.00 (inc. delivery which is £8.95). I then get a few bits from the butchers too but don't spend much there luckily... chicken carcasses, pigs trotters and sometimes beef heart. I spend about £10.00 a month on those.

13. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 PetForums VIP

most of mine come from http://www.jaysanimalfeeds.co.uk/ but i also get some from my local butchers who raise their own pigs so i get lots of freebies. this month was my first feeding three dogs and a cat and i spent £50 :)

14. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

We get lamb ribs, pigs trotters and ears from the local market, pig heart from a catering butcher down the road, MVM minces from a pet shop in the city, bits of offal Morrisons and chicken carcasses from a few different poultry processing places.

We probably spend £40ish a month for 3 dogs

I hate to think what we spend on diesel! :eek:

15. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

Have you had the chicken carcasses from there? I wonder how many you get. 'per tray' isn't very helpful. :p

16. Urbanhowl

Urbanhowl PetForums Member

I use either MVM or where I order the Wolves raw food from (10 of them to feed!). I use to use The Dog Food Company as he was only about 10 minutes from me but I got really dodgy mince a few times so stopped.

The amount I use MVM is lessening, but only because where I order the Wolves's food is so darn cheap! MVM is definitely the best quality I've tried... But nothing beats huge chunks of top quality beef trim at only £2 a kg and lovely big rabbits for just £2.50 etc. ;-) My raw food bill has dropped dramatically.

17. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Really? Quality has always been fab for me which is why I only use him.

Where are the venison ribs from?

I use the Dog Food Company and add if I find supermarket bargains. Morrisons are fab. :)

I've still not found a nearby abbatoir: is there a directory?

18. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

I use a supplier... DAF if I need a stock up and have lots of freezer space and a local supplier if I just need a few things to stock up on... Usually once every two months I let the freezer get bare and make a big order...

It works out £20 per month roughly for my two (not including delivery charges.

But I'm very good at forgetting to take something out of the freezer so maybe twice a week, I visit the butcher :)

Building a good relationship with your local butcher is a great thing... He throws in all sorts, free of charge when I pop by. He always says, "and here's a present from me for the dogs" :) Save a fortune on offal and boney meals through him lol.

19. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

DAF for bulk orders
    Butchers freebies and I can order bits
    Hunters freebies
    Road kill
    Farms have a had a still born once
    Keepers of chickens ducks etc - I help slaughter unwanted birds in return for the animals

Costs me roughly £15 a month to feed a 23kg and 50kg ish dogs

20. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Local butcher for everything apart from green tripe (PAH) and fish, sardines and yoghurt (supermarket).

My main staple is chicken carcasses which are free if from chickens they have butchered themselves or £2.50 / 15kg if ordered in from the abattoir.

I get loads of stuff but it can really vary. Fairly often they will have a freezer clearout and give me a call saying that if I can get there that day they have some stuff for me; usual haul is a few bin bags full of all sorts of random stuff!

It really helps to have a good relationship with a local butcher and buy all your own meat from them too - I always buy something for us even if it isn't needed that day when I call in. It also really helps if they bone out their own carcasses.

I feed each dog (about 45kg and 48kg ish) just short of 2kg each per day (around 3.5 - 3.6kg per day in total) I would guess for about £10 - £12 per dog per month. Can be more or less, varies a fair bit.

#20 Dogless, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice