UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a poll, cos im nosy :D

Do you feed minces or not? :)

GOD i`m a dimwit forgot to do a poll

Just answer here then
Just minces
Some minces some chunks
Just chunks
Depends

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
No minces here ever... just chunks, lumps and bones :)

I love to see Alfie really enjoying his food and getting that whole jaw workout and mental stimulation. You just don't get that from mince. If I were to be offered some for free or dirt cheap I wouldn't turn it down but that would be the only circumstances I'd feed it in.

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
The only mince I use is a small amount of pet mince from the butchers (free/dirt cheap) - everything else is chunks and large/whole items.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Minces for up to 50% of Poppy's diet, mainly for variety. The rest is chunks and boney meals such as chicken wings, lamb or pork ribs, trotters, rabbit.

Chunks I tend to cut up because Poppy's meals are small (up to 75g depending on how much her boney meal weighs) and she wouldn't get a workout from them as she is a "suck it in and swallow" dog. She gets her workout from the boney meals although chicken necks come under the suck and swallow regime so I tend to hold them so she'll crunch them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
minced whole chicken now and again and beef mince usually get with chicken on the bone, and feed organ mince, and again with some bone, one dog doesnt like raw chunks of beef!

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Pip has minces quite often because he's so small & he struggles with things bigger than wings.
The others will have minces for variety, convenience when I'm not around, and to mix supplements in.
:)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I feed alot of mince at the moment, because with 3 dogs and one small freezer and a monthly order of food I just cant fit in the chunks of meat :(
When we have a bigger house we will have a bigger freezer so more room for chunks :D

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I prefer large chunks and meaty bones really but sometimes I struggle to source large chunks of tripe, game and some organs so use a rough mince.
I tend to feed them frozen in a Kong as often as I can though :)

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
I like to eat variety and I am sure my dogs like variety too, so they get

minces
chunks
carcases
whole animals

and anything in between and a mixture.

Minces are very convenient sometimes.

Just as nobody needs a full brain work out every time they sit down to read eg War and Peace, but often enjoy a short story, a magazine or a newspaper so no animal (either human or canine) needs a full jaw work out and mental stimulation from every meal.

It is not a criminal offence to feed minced meat, it has just as much nutrition as when it comes in any other form, so there is not need to be made to feel somehow inadequate by those who consider it a fate worse than death...............! ;)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Rusty gets a lot of mince... it's convenient! He seems fine on it ;-)

I keep an eye on his teeth and feed bones/ carcasses when needed (usually about 3-4 times a week). He also gets "pudding" which is a chicken wing/ pork rib or similar.

He also gets goats milk and the odd egg from the chooks as he is proving difficult to keep weight on.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I use prize choice minces, the freeflow chicken and rabbit, tripe, lamb, beef & fish in the blocks. I also use natures menu banquet nuggets on occasion for variety. Bone wise he has chicken drumsticks and wings

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.