Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw Feed help/advice

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by misscarey9502, Feb 28, 2017.

1. misscarey9502

misscarey9502 PetForums Newbie

hey folks im looking for a bit of help and advice on raw feeding my 9 month old male lurcher. he has been fed on dry food since he was 9wks but suddenly he went off his usual brand. tried another brand which only lasted a week, tried adding dog gravy, hot water, different bowls, lifting it away for a couple of hours, leaving it sitting so he knows he wouldnt be offered an alternative (he went nearly 2 days with nothing) and even tried hand feeding him. i love him to the core and he is like another child in the family lol but i cant afford to keep feeding him our chicken breasts, mince and steak. i was going to try him on raw feeds but i dont have a clue about wot would be the best things, quantities, do i just feed it like normal meals etc. any advice or tips would be gratefully received. thanks xx

2. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

A complete is probably the easiest way to start - especially for a pup. There are LOTS of raw suppliers out there now so have a google, in fact there is a list on here somewhere.
    Make sure the "complete" contains 80% muscle meat 10% bone 5% liver and 5% kidney (or other secreting offal), you'll then not have to add anything until you have found your feet. :)

Read the sticky at the top here "raw feeding everything you need to know" or something. :)

Katalyst likes this.
  3. misscarey9502

thanks @Lexiedhb. there is a pet shop not far away from where i live but they only want to sell in bulk and wen i asked the response was "i dont kno wot your pet likes" which put me off. marley isnt usually a fussy dog wen it comes to different meats and vegetables. i will be in town this week so im wondering if i should go to pets at home and buy a couple of bags to see how he goes before doing a proper food shop for him. ive just given away 16kg of tails dry stuff and got an unopened 12kg eukanuba in the cupboard so wary about buying too much straight away. i want my boy to be as healthy and contented as he deserves to be so im willing to try anything. some people laugh wen i say whos mummys boy or come see your mum but he is just like another member of the family (even wen he is being a pest lol) xx

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Natures menu do a lot of raw foods some of which are complete you can check them out on the link, I'm pretty sure that pets at home still do their ranges
    https://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/

Some of the Natural instinct raw foods are complete too
    https://www.naturalinstinct.com/raw-dog-food?gclid=CKnBweyys9ICFQqNGwodbnAOnw

Raw food Vets is a good website if you want to Do it yourself rather then use pre prepared complete raw food If you go to the very bottom and click on where it says articles and books and Links there is a lot of info there including a raw feeding plans to help you start.
    http://rawfoodvets.com/

Sunshine76 likes this.
  5. misscarey9502

@Sled dog hotel thanks for the advice. i think that is one i saw in pets at home before (im sure it was nuggets made of chicken, liver, salmon and brown rice). ive never tried him with liver but he has happily eaten the rest before. the pet shop i asked in before wasnt wanting to sell me less than 10kg worth which i dont want to buy til i kno he will definately eat it. wen i first got him his ribs were sticking out and the breeder didnt have a clue about how much food weighed so she just poured wot she thought into a dish and sat it down for the full litter and the only feed they got was at 10pm at night (they were split from mum at 5wks and were kept in a dark, damp garage with only a little sawdust on the floor). i suppose thats why i want to do my best for him plus he deserves better than wot he had for an early life xx

6. Sled dog hotel

Natures menu do nuggets and complete blocks too they have a pretty extensive range. He did have an a rotten start, he should have been on at least 4 meals a day. The trouble with feeding them in one communal pan especially if they are not closely supervised, is that the smaller weaker and not such push pups often get left out and don't get their share.
    Thankfully he has now landed on his feet and has a lovely caring home.

7. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Natures Menu is a nice convenient raw product, loads of different variety with assorted meats and bones and especially their convenient "complete" nuggets.
    If you want to go completely grain free take care with their nuggets as many of them contain RICE.
    Their best nuggets are their "country Hunter", these have NO grain at all. I was not aware that their blocks were sold as complete though. (that's very interesting)
    There can be what seems to be a lot of vegetable in their complete products, I would suggest adding a little more freeflow or block meat.
    This is a nice convenient product for anyone especially beginners, clean, no blood, no smell. It will get you started with raw feeding.

8. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Hmmm I'd be careful with calling natures menu a complete - does not give a bone percentage- which is essential, and contains ALOT of veg. The blocks are definitely NOT complete as most contain a single protein and no offal. Thats not to say they are not ok to begin with .

Have a look at
    Nutriment

or here for suppliers in your area which is Ayrshire?

http://www.just-natural.co.uk/home/find-a-stockist/

Katalyst and Muttly like this.
  9. Sled dog hotel

Ones like the country hunter have 80% meat in them and around 12% veg and fruit in total and its stated how much of each type, I think the most veg/fruit in some makes up 16%, but they all have 80% meat and ground bone. They state on which ones of their ranges which are complete and balanced and which ones are complementary. There isn't any grains in the country hunter range either.

bogdog likes this.
  10. misscarey9502

yeh i live in east ayrshire. im actually ok with smells apart from tripe which gives me the heave and blood doesnt bother me. my dad used to be a chef so portioning up whole animals doesnt bother me (as long as the fur and feathers are gone lol) and easily fillet and skin fish

@Sled dog hotel it was a wee shame for him. wen he came to live with me he had a sore patch on his head where the other pups had been picking on him but in a way he was lucky. turns out my sisters friend bought marleys brother at 11wks and she contacted me to ask about marleys health. she sent me a pic of charlie wen she got him and i could honestly have cried at the mess of him

@Lexiedhb lurchers are quite popular in my area but mostly for hunting and i read that their diet will be different but suppliers would still be the same i guess. thanks @wee man im glad i asked on here coz its been a great help. to be honest its so small where i live that even if i run out of food for him i cant go to the shop and buy something til i can get away for more as they sell no puppy products at all and wen you ask the staff they just say oh hes got his big teeth so give him adult stuff which im not comfortable doing. i would rather do the 45min journey into town xx

11. akm1960

akm1960 PetForums Newbie

A group of us in Ayr order from The Wandering Dog and share delivery they have a great selection to choose from.
    Most of the local suppliers only sell in full boxes but some also sell a variety box

12. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Their complete ranges are just that though - complete :) Regardless of the bone content, they're a nutritionally complete feed so will have calcium added by other means. They have strict guidelines in which they must adhere to before being able to label a product complete.

They do two block ranges - one complete (same formula as their complete nuggets but in block form) and one that is, like you say, just meat.

bogdog and Sled dog hotel like this.
  13. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

I guess it depends on your definition of "complete" , what model you follow etc, just because a supplier calls it "complete" doesn't mean it is- for me anyhow. Didnt know they did 2 block ranges now..... :)

14. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

No reason I can think of that a lurchers diet would be different. Might just feed them more if they are out working all day is all

15. SixStar

SixStar Banned

A complete food is a complete food - they can't throw that term around willy-nilly :)

But yes, I do agree with your point... I wouldn't want to feed it as a sole food source.

16. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Well they can because there is not set guidelines as to what constitutes a complete raw diet..... Hence each suppliers "complete" provides totally different nutrition profiles

17. SixStar

SixStar Banned

No because there are guidelines on what constitutes a complete commercially prepared diet - be that wet, dry or raw - they all need to conform to a minimum set standard of nutrition.

Just like complete wet & dry foods can have hugely different ingredients and nutritional breakdowns, but are all still nutritionally complete diets.

bogdog and Mum2Heidi like this.
  18. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Ok its not what I'd call complete........ like I wouldnt call Bakers complete. Just my opinion :)

ETS not that I am saying Bakers and Natures menu are on a par

19. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Natures Menu;
    Their Country Hunter variety, Puppy Nuggets are free of offal and bone.

In their adult Country Hunter range:
    Duck with Plum, contains offal and 3-4% bone.
    British Lamb, contains offal and 1-2% bone.
    Salmon and Raspberry, contains offal

Please also find the bone contents in the country Hunter range as follows:
    Venison and Blueberry, 3-4% bone.
    Rabbit and Cranberry, 2-3% bone.
    Chicken and Salmon, 2-3% bone.
    Turkey,2-3% bone.
    Pheasant and Duck, 1-2% bone.
    White Fish, 1-2% bone.
    But no mention of any offal !!

I am disappointed to say the least, but will still suggest their products for convenience.

20. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

All pet food must match the European Pet Food Industry Federation's nutritional guidelines which in turn are similar to an American version called AAFCO nutritional guidelines. They are also responsible for a lot of the labelling requirements. The european guidelines may be downloaded (PDF) from
    www.fediaf.org/fileadmin/user_upload/PetNutrition/FEDIAF_Nutritional_Guidelines_July2016.pdf

It makes an interest read.

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice