Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw feed Amount.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Peter.d., Dec 26, 2020.

1. Peter.d.

Peter.d. PetForums Junior

Hi all sorry if it's been posted else where.
    I have just started my Dog Bailey (8 month male Border terrier) on raw food after he went off his kibble. Does any one know how much I should be feeding him each day the shop i bought it from said 1 pack a day which is 454g which seems alot to me he is 8.3kg he gets carrots and veggies as snacks through the day just a bit of advice please as i most of the online calculators are saying different amounts.
    Thanks in advance.

2. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

The only guidance that I can give you is;
    We have working type cocker spaniels and they get about 1/2lb each per day (depending on their body condition and activity)

As your puppy is probably slowing down his growth speed at the moment I would suggest 1/2 lb each day would be a good place to start, shared between 2 meals. use your own judgment on body condition and adjust amount as required.
    Raw food can be purchased as a "complete" mix.
    Make sure you use a lot of variety within the raw product, include offal and raw bones (chicken bones are 100% safe).
    Raw food does not have to be balanced every day, with a good variety it will balance itself over a couple of weeks or so.

Raw is a great product and introduction can be quiet quick without any tummy upsets.

You would be very sensible if you did some homework on the raw product, and a super little raw feeding book "Honey's Natural Raw Feeding Handbook for Dogs" can help you tremendously, it is easy to read and understand and can be purchased from Amazon for as little as 1p. This book is excellent for both newbee's and regular feeders of the raw product
    Good luck with the raw feeding.

niamh123 and JoanneF like this.
  3. Ragnar&Biffy

Ragnar&Biffy Biffy

puppys as he still is will need more calories than adults... so food may always seem a larger quantity.. you say your pack is 454g? is that DAF (durham animal feeds by any chance?

usually raw food especially 80/10/10 is about 120 calories per 100g so one pack of 454g by my shocking maths is 544 calories.

so best thing to do is find a calories calculator for a border terrier puppy at 8 months and go by that as a starting point.. but as fair as im aware for smaller breeds he should be approaching his adult weight around now.. but also defo go whats said above but body score.

but based on what i said above with 544 calories per pack and snacks during the day.. to me that does seem about right although to be honest may need more if not fully grown yet...

4. Peter.d.

Peter.d. PetForums Junior

Thanks for the info I will look at the book on Amazon. The food is the Thistle brand they did have Durham but with me being new I just asked for whatever they thought best and they gave me a selection. He only likes the Chicken and tripe (10% bone). Beef and tripe and the Beef. He doesn't like the lamb with offal and bone, Turkey and strangely he didn't like the frozen bones I also bought.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice