Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw fed dogs & fleas

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Goldstar, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

So I know that raw fed dogs can get fleas but are they deterred by the taste of the blood?

We are staying at my dads until tomorrow and last night I found a flea on my arm.

So far Lucky hasn't been scratching and I have looked for them in her coat but haven't seen any on her as of yet. She has been raw fed for over 2 years now and also gets garlic once a week. Will this deter the little buggers do you think??

I meant to get a flea collar before coming but I completely forgot :eek:

2. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

IME garlic is enough

Ive never seen a flea (touch wood) on the boys but in summer I just feed a little more garlic and that's it

#2 pogo, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  3. bigal12

bigal12 PetForums Newbie

isnt garlic dangerous to dog?

4. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

In huge amounts unlike onion which only needs a little bit to cause problems

Many raw feeders use garlic to flee their dogs

5. bigal12

bigal12 PetForums Newbie

cool didnt know that will need to find some info on it:thumbup1:

6. Prowl

Prowl Guest

I don't feed garlic to any of my animals because its a member of the onion family.

It also does not deter fleas I have a raw fed dog and have given her garlic in the past but I found if anything she had more fleas when she had garlic o.0''

I don't think raw fed dogs are more likely to get fleas. Fleas can jump incredible distences so they are either preasent in a house or the dog has picked them up in the park from other dogs in passing.

7. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

I personally don't believe garlic works. :eek: Maybe it has something to do with where the dog lives and plays, but I've seen quite a few dogs that have been given garlic to keep fleas at bay, and it's definitely not worked, especially if there are cats in the same house-hold.

I think a flea comb is paramount if you don't use chemicals to deter the little blighters. :yikes:

8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Agree, unfortunately. I tried my two (raw fed dogs) on garlic & Billy No Mates but neither made any difference & we had flea infestations.

I've gone back to using Frontline much as I didn't really want to but it's the only stuff that seems to have worked

9. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

Well i've fed garlic for years, never used topicals never seen a single flea.

10. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

I have never heard that raw feeding deters fleas, surely if this was the case then wild carnivores would be flea-less :confused:

I used to buy tea tree oil lotion from the body shop and lightly spray Jaz with it - never did find a flea on her...maybe the fleas didn't like it or maybe Jaz's blood tasted horrible, who knows!!

11. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I have never heard that raw fed dogs are less likely to have fleas - and I'm not sure I believe it much either.

But! - I've got huge faith in garlic. I cannot remember the last time I used a spot-on treatment, probably getting on for ten years ago now, all I use for flea prevention is garlic and my lot have never had fleas - I have five dogs and live right out in the sticks, encountering wildlife and livestock on our daily walks.

I suppose it must depend on where you live, but like I say, we're out in the countryside which is prime flea and tick location! Admittedly however, they do not have an awful lot of contact with other dogs.

12. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I raw feed, add a clove of garlic now and then but don't treat the dogs for fleas at all, I do treat the house with Indorex spray three or four times a year though. I can't remember having seen a flea in years, saw one on Flynns nose about four years ago and found dirts behind his ears, so I re treated the house and bathed him in a flea shampoo and that's the only time I've seen fleas on any of this lot. If you keep check on the base of the ears and tail fur you'll see if there are fleas about because of the specks of poo they leave behind.

#12 Malmum, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  13. Doguiesrus

Doguiesrus PetForums Senior

I heard green tripe is suposed to repel fleas and ticks don't know how right it is x

14. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

Thanks for the replies. Don't know where I heard that raw repels fleas (although it's possible that it was a dream) :eek:

She has been scratching a bit today, I could be over analyzing it though because I'm thinking about it too much.

We are going home in a couple of hours and I don't want to take them back with me (if she does have any).

What do I do if I find any on her? Sorry for the seemingly stupid questions, I have never used any topicals before so don't know which to use if I need to.

15. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Isn't giving garlic a bit like giving small amounts of dark chocolate? o.0

16. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I'm not convinced that garlic does anything at all. The biggest influence over whether a dog gets fleas is the presence of indoor/outdoor cats in the house. If you have free roaming cats coming into contact with the dogs, you would be very very lucky if you did not have to treat the dogs with topical flea treatment.

17. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

My dad does have 2 free roaming cats :(

I'm leaving her bed here, no point risking taking it into my house if it's likely to have fleas on it.

18. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

There is your answer then. ;)

Managing fleas when you have free roaming cats is a nightmare. Especially when you have a flea allergic dog like one of mine is. :mad:

19. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

*sign* no, no it isn't

20. JenKyzer

JenKyzer PetForums VIP

Something i found in my 'raw researching' these past few months :)
    Ottawa Valley Dog Whisperer: Garlic for Dogs - Health Benefits, Preparation and Use, Safe Dosage
    It might help put your mind at ease :D (There are other websites that deem it safe too :thumbup1: )

Hope i'm not posting out of turn, but i don't want you worrying about it :) and of course it is each to their own on what to feed :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice