Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw fed dog and a fishy problem

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Baldyegghead, May 26, 2019.

1. Baldyegghead

Baldyegghead PetForums Junior

Both our dog's fed on a raw diet since March are doing well.

However, I've noticed that our male lab, after being given a small amount of fish (with meat, bone, offal etc) seems to lick his bottom continuously afterwards, and it smells very fishy. Our female doesn't have this problem.

Could it be an allergy to fish? But, why does it only affect his rear end as he doesn't scratch his body.

Can anyone give advice please.

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Sounds like an anal glands problem to me, classic fishy smell and if he's licking it's probably bothering him.

I would take him to the vet have them checked. Not an emergency, but see what they suggest. Could be worth adjusting bone amount in the food, use of mixer if using minces due to extra fibre content. It could just be biology though

Lurcherlad and Torin. like this.
  3. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

I would suggest it may be his anal glands. I doubt it is just because he has had fish though! (but of course you never know! )
    It may take your chaps system a while to adjust to the new diet, some go through a detox a lot quicker than others.
    Anal glands do give off a very unpleasant fishy smell. Had he ever had problems with his anal glands before you started the raw feeding ? Keeping his poo's firm does help to express his glands. The big soft bulky poo's that are created by kibble diets often don't express the glands effectively and can cause this problem. In my experience of feeding raw for 35-40 years myself I have never had a dog with this problem, (there is always a first time).

I would suggest a visit to your vet to make sure his glands are ok.
    Good luck.

niamh123 likes this.
  4. lullabydream

That's so unfair to all those kibble feeders out there...
    Anal gland problem occurs in many dogs not just those on kibble.
    Upping fibre can help in some dogs, and some it's simple biology, can be related to allergies which raw feed dogs also get food allergies too.

O2.0, Twiggy, Mum2Heidi and 1 other person like this.
  5. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Wee man is correct I have never had a dog with anal gland problems whilst feeding raw as the stool is a lot harder than kibble fed dogs the dog therefore has to push a little harder and so expels the anal glands:)

wee man likes this.
  6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

And I've never had a problem with any of my dogs anal glands, whatever their breed or size, and mine are fed kibble :D

It does sound like anal glands and if any dog isn't expressing them normally then I would have a chat with the Vet as they may well be impacted - and then have a check that the diet is working.

I'm not sure what else it could be - I dont think an allergy to fish would make them smell fishy to be honest?

J

lullabydream and Mum2Heidi like this.
  7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I would be inclined to agree re anal gland issue which I don’t agree you can attribute to a particular food.
    I have fed kibble, wet and raw at various stages through Heidi’s life.
    The only time she had anal gland issues was recently on Eden kibble. Instead of, as implied, stools too soft and bulky, it was the exact opposite. I introduced a bit of wet/chunk of carrot to soften things up - problem solved.

Sometimes pooh needs a bit of bulk. Perhaps drop the fish and see if things improve and feed a few chunks of carrot.
    If the discomfort persists he may need his glands emptied. Any doubts - vet!
    (I accidentally expressed Heidi’s glands so knew what it was).

lullabydream likes this.
  8. lullabydream

Which is often the case if food isn't helping the animal glands to express so when raw feeders exclaim about small hard poo it isn't necessary a good thing per se. My friends staff had the tiniest poo going especially for her size, she had an intestinal problem all her life though. Her output so to speak never changed.

All poo should be easy to pick up and well formed regardless of what's being feed.

Torin. and Mum2Heidi like this.
  9. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

My dogs poo is far from small a smaller amount maybe but not small

wee man likes this.
  10. Baldyegghead

Thanks for all replies

Today I didn't feed him any fish and he was fine. No smell and no licking.

As I said it really only occurs if I feed him fish. Frozen sprats are fine and all other proteins he seems ok. The other dog just had smelly fish breath after meals

I'll start giving omega 3 to him by capsule and avoid fish for a while.

His poos are firm, normal in colour . Maybe that eliminates anal glands?

11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Good to hear he’s better and hopefully, you’ve found the cause.

12. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Let's hope you have solved the problem.
    Much cheaper than a visit to the vet.;)

13. Baldyegghead

Thanks everyone.

Do others give their dog's fish? If I give him frozen fish we don't notice the problem is the same.

I also give coconut oil now and again as I think this also has omega 3?

14. lullabydream

How much coconut oil are you giving? All oils can work as a laxative. So as you would giving a laxative you start off small amounts, even size doesn't always matter and build up.

All though that doesn't equate to the fishy smell which is usually equated to anal glands.

15. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I would think anal glands were the problem and for some reason when you feed fish, they don’t empty properly due to how it comes out. Feeding something different since has emptied them ;).
    Heidi is the same on Eden kibble without wet food and chunk of carrot. She’s better the next day.

Heidi’s tum has always been better on meat based foods so I don’t bother feeding fish.

I’ve used coconut oil successfully, starting off minimal, slowly increasing. Salmon oil is another that highly recommended.

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice