Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw dog food/allergies

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Robertdavid, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Robertdavid

Robertdavid Banned

I just thought I'd pass on a recent discovery that some other dog owners might find useful. Our dog suffered for a number of years with skin problems and a repeated ear infection. After a number of expensive vet visits, we did some research on the internet and were surprised to learn that dogs aren't designed to eat cereals etc, which make up a large amount of commercial dog food. We'd never given it any thought. It turns out that our dog was allergic to wheat and we have now switched her to a totally natural raw diet - Natural Instinct - High Quality Natural Dog Food - and within days we saw a dramatic recovery in her conditions. It contains no artificial additives or preservatives and is delivered free overnight so is extremely convenient. I'd highly recommend it! As they say on their website - a fox doesn't roast a chicken, so why do we feed our dogs processed cooked foods?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Would be interesting to hear from experienced raw feeders as to how balanced this diet is.

3. nellie_dean

nellie_dean PetForums Member

A couple of comments
    1) dogs are no longer wolves, their digestion has evolved over many, many generations to feed on the same sort of food as their owners - let's face it, there are millions of very fit and healthy dogs out there which are fed on commercial dried foods, which have a balance of essential nutrients.

2) I went to a veterinary conference a couple of years back where an expert in raw and home cooked feeding gave a talk on the subject. He was very clear that it is difficult (not impossible but difficult) to ensure an adequate supply of all essential nutrients when making up your own food. Many folk add human vitamin and mineral supplements which are not appropriate.

So I came away with the distinct impression that you could fed raw, or home cook, but there was a lot of guesswork in it.

I would rather be sure, and therefore I choose to feed a good quality dry food (in my case Whites Premium) - and I have a fit, healthy dog with no problems.

I'd add to that that many folk over-feed on dry food and then you can run into health problems - you have to weigh the amounts out and feed appropriately to the weight your dog should be.

4. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

All the bone in these products are ground up, the whole point of feeding a raw diet is the chewing, tearing, gnawing of the bones and meat this keeps the teeth clean and free from tartar and keeps the digestive system healthy -
    My dogs would soon get bored of packs of ready meals - they sometimes take all day to eat their meals and the food they don't eat is often buried in the garden. :)

Also I worked out it would cost roughly 17.50 a week each to feed my two with these products - I can feed them both for much less using freebies from my butcher and purchasing bulk green tripe (none of the recipes had tripe in them which confuses me)

Treat lamb bones = £2.80 plus postage
    Treat lamb bones = £0.00 from my butcher

Also fruit and veg it doesn't say what quantities are used, I have researched for more than a year and have found no extra benefit to feeding mushed up fruit and veg - much better raw whole carrots, broccoli, turnip etc and apples, berries bananas :)

5. Savahl

Savahl Guest

The food itself seems ok...contains oils, bone, meat, offel, veg etc etc, but I would rather give bones full rather than ground up to get the full benefit of it! ie teeth cleaning.
    wrt to mushed up veg, i always gave buster blended veg as i dont believe dogs systems can break down veg its its complete state. (although buster wont eat it whole anyway for somereason....)

As mentioned 2.80 or whatever for 6 bones is alot... i get a pack of 6 or so for £1 at our butchers.

The whole reason i went raw was so i knew exactly what went into buster, and I had total control over it so it could be adjusted when needed, and he thrived on it. Sadly my freezer broke :( Buying a premade raw diet kinda seems to take this away

#5 Savahl, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2009
  6. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Agree with the others. I get my bones for free from my butcher. I buy chicken wings from him and get a bulk order of meat from AMP delivered once every 2 months. I add fruit and veg to my dogs diet and pasta and rice sometimes for variety. All in all the cost is approx £9 a week and that's for 5 dogs so although it's likely more work it's certainly cheaper than buying from this company.

That said if it suits you then brilliant, I'd rather see a dog being fed this diet than the processed stuff most dogs are fed but I would supplement it with some RMB's.

7. Robertdavid

Robertdavid Banned

Just a couple of points about the responses received:
    1. - commercial dog food has only been around for 50-60 years - that is not sufficient time for dogs to evolve sufficiently to process much of the fillers and additives in modern processed dog food.
    2. - I agreed that the whole point of a BARF diet is to encourage the dogs to chew whole bones - we do this a couple of times a week but it isn't always practical - at least the meals we provide every day have the ground bone in them for nutrition.
    3. - It has been shown that dogs are unable to properly digest unprocessed vegetables - the best way to serve them is therefore blended as the cellulous is then broken down already.
    4. - Natural Instinct provides free shipping, so the cost of feeding our dog really isn't bad at all - and the food is delivered overnight to home or work, which ever is more convenient for that day

#7 Robertdavid, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  8. BALOO J.

BALOO J. Guest

Hi I know you mentioned dog food, but I feed raw to my cat, he has kidney probs, I didn't want to feed him the science food that the vet's push (IT HAD BI PRODUCTS & ANIMAL DERIVITIVES)so I did research on the net, I feed him a recipe from a girl who has put in years and years of research into raw feeding, called Natascha from Canada Instincts TC, it is a bit costly & I have to add minced chicken thigh and liver etc, but he is doing fine so far, I think people forget why & when tinned pet food came about, it was after the war & nothing went to waste, so some companies decided to profit on left overs, remember dog,s would get scraps of meat before, & cats would have done their job mousing & given scraps. Now days pet food is a giant money making industry. It makes me laugh when I see food we would eat on the packaging as if to say look, if we eat it, it must be good for your bundle of fur.

9. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

To be fair it has also been proven that dogs actually don't actually need vegetables if they are raw fed, I am a member of BritBarf and have read all of Derek Turnbulls articles on raw feeding, they are wow by the way if you ever get a chance to read them.

Forgive me if I am wrong but on the britbarf list you say that this is your company , this post and your original post sound like you are a customer.

Just curious

Mel x x

10. davehyde

davehyde Banned

i must feed my dog some

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

THE OP DID SOUND A BIT TOO PAT BUT I THOUGHT I'D KEEP ME MOTH SHUT FOR A CHANDE LOL.

11. Kiskasiberians

Kiskasiberians PetForums Senior

From the looks of it this company is not registered with DEFRA which all pet food companies have to do under EU regulations. The regulations ensure that all meat is regulary tested for Salmonella and other bacteria and all meat is fully traceable to through the food chain.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice