Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw diets???

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by messyhearts, Jul 23, 2009.

1. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I haven't a clue where to start & have always wondered about this. I was always put off because I thought I would need lots of freezing space. I would love to offer my cats & dog this as I heard it is cheaper too?

Any advice, websites - anything at all - that can help will be so appreciated.

2. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

There is the yahoo raw feeding site which will fill up your mail box - mostly american

rawcat : Raw Cat

I have a large freezer which is full up of my food mostly and the cats have half a draw. I would like to order some chunked bone in rabbit but bit unsure how much a kilo would take up in space and with the £6.00 delivery charge would want to maximise.

Summoning up the ummmph to do it....

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

4. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Its a lot cheaper to do your own, you know exactly what goes into it then. Plus as time goes by you can vary it and adjust it to suit your cat. The thing is not to be worried about it. The more you read the more confusing it can be as there are so many people out there with very strong views on certain elements and none of them agree with each other. Read both sides, weigh up the pros and cons and do what makes sense to you. A friend swears by a book called Natural Nutrition for Cats by Kymythy Schultze. This is also a good site full of information Holisticat Community :: Index

I would try it gradually, find a basic start recipe that is easy to make and your cat likes it, and adjust that as you learn more, get more confidence and your cat gets used to it. Some times introducing raw to a commercially fed cat can be a slow process anyway, so that gives you loads of time to do lots of research and decide what elements you think are best and suit you and your cats.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice