Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw Diet

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by KazKittens, Jul 7, 2017.

1. KazKittens

KazKittens PetForums Junior

Hi I have 3, 8 month old kittens who I would like to change to a raw diet. I feed my dog a raw diet and would prefer my kittens to get the same benefit. They are currently on a mix of wet and dry food. Im looking for advice of how to introduce them to raw. Thanks
    Sorry about the spelling mistake in the title. Don't know how to correct it

lorilu likes this.
  2. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

If you are looking to raw feed your kitten I would recommend the following complete commercial foods:

https://www.kiezebrink.co.uk/category/166-raw-cat-food (no premix or other vitamins needed)

https://www.naturalinstinct.com/raw-cat-food/natural (no premix or other vitamins needed)

http://www.nutriment.co/cat-food/ (no premix or other vitamins needed)

Or you could try feeding raw boneless chunks cut into small pieces with premix and water added (don't use the premix on other complete raw diets or canned cat food):

http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/su...eIKHiDk1Mj1KpDXuXTgfXhTs0I1BcLhw0zRoCrxfw_wcB (no import charges apply to this item)

https://www.tatzenladenshop.de/en/tcpremix-reg/tcpremix-plus/ (no import charges apply to this item)

http://www.foodfurlife.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html (please be aware UK Customs charges and VAT charges apply to this item as it comes from the USA)

I would personally tempt your kitten with small pieces of raw boneless uncooked chicken, turkey, lamb or beef as a treat at first (with no premix added to it) along side your kittens regular diet to see if your kitten will eat the raw meat chunks (you can get this meat from the supermarket or butchers). Don't force your kitten to eat it and just keep trying. Raw lamb is my cats favourite raw boneless uncooked meat. It is advised not to leave raw meat out for long periods of time, I would dispose of the meat chunks after say 10 minutes if your kitten doesn't eat it.

Hope this helps?

#2 stockwellcat., Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2017
    lorilu likes this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Done it for you.

4. KazKittens

Thanks that's a great help. They had a bit of raw chicken tonight as a treat. 2 of them loved it and the other just played with it. I'll try again tomorrow
    aw thank you

5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Oh that's great! First you want to get them used to being fed on a schedule if they aren't already. And I would stop the dry now, anyway, Just feed the wet food, at scheduled meal times (3 times a day is good) and keep offering those bits of raw. Putting a bit in the dish with the canned will help the one who played with it understand that it is food.

When I started raw feeding over 5 years ago I started with commercial products. (I'm the the USA). I stil use some commercial product. Rad Cat is what we have over here. I like it because they use egg shell calcium instead of bone. But my cats are also fed with EZcomplete (made by Food Fur Life as linked above) with plain muscle meat, and also fed some prey model (PMR) meals ( PMR is meat, organs and bone in the proper proportions, only once of my cats eats bone in meals, the other two eat egg shell calcium with their PMR meals)

I like to keep a rotation of methods in place. Looking ahead, once they are fully transitioned (no rush!) you'll want to feed at least 3 proteins.

KazKittens and stockwellcat. like this.
  6. Saf

Saf Banned

I get my kitten's food from natural instincts and wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending them. Every flavour has been a success with one exception - green tripe. And it doesn't smell particularly pleasant either.

I started them on raw food as soon as I got them and used a sure feed sealed pet bowl, which they shared and that worked our really well to begin with but its become apparent they have quite different eating habits so I got a couple of the microchip version so I can reduce waste by putting the right amount of food out at the right time.

7. KazKittens

Thanks for your help everyone. The transition is going well. They love the bits of raw chicken. I've found a supplier of natural instincts so will be stocking up at weekend. I've got them on nature diet in the mean time and they go mad for it. I'm
    Just paranoid that I'm giving them enough food now I've taken the dry stuff off them?
    Oh and they are so full of energy

lorilu likes this.
  8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Terrific!

Get a baby scale and weigh them weekly. Then you will always know if they are getting enough to eat, or too much, it's another tool in your kit for being aware of any problems (such as sudden weight loss) and it is one more way for them be used to being handled.

9. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

Great that the raw is going down well.

If thery're maintaining their weight, they're getting enough. I just do a visual check of Mosi and Kito (plus I tend to give them a good feel around the ribs from time to time to see how much body fat I can feel!). They both seem to be fairly stable (although Kito is still growing a bit so a bit of weight gain is to be expected) on about 140g per day. Mosi lost some weight when his digestive problems were at their worst but when he was at the vet recently I was pleased to find he'd put some back on and is now back at his fighting weight.

10. KazKittens

My boys are now fully converted to raw and loving it. Thank you all for your advice. I've got auto feeders with ice packs for when I'm at work.
    I'm toying with the idea of making my own raw food. Any tips or reviews you can share would be great. Thanks again

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice