Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw diet recipes?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Curiosity101, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Curiosity101

Curiosity101 PetForums Newbie

I can't seem to find anyone supplying raw food in my area other than natures menu at kennel gate and that's a bit out of my price range. I'm looking at feeding my cats a raw diet but am struggling to find any easy to follow recipes online.

I understand the basics: 80:10:5:5 being meat:bone:liver:eek:ther organs (kidney mostly?)
    I assume those ratios are by weight?

I'd just like some advice from people who make their own, I assume the recipes vary slightly on what your butcher has available but some rough guides to get me started would be great.

Also some advice on where to source the ingredients would be nice.

I tried looking at the sticky post but it seems the first post (which was the most useful?) has been deleted now.

2. cookiemom

cookiemom PetForums Senior

Have you had a look here:

Raw Fed Cats

the practical guide section is very helpful. I buy some meat from the butcher, whole prey from Honeybrook Farm or Kiezebrink, if you have lots of cats you could look online at catering butchers.

Ratios are by weight, weighing meat and organs is easy and to work out bone content, the USDA nutrient database is very helpful, type the item you are searhing eg 'chicken wing, raw meat and skin', and then on the analysis page click 'full report' heading at the top and you will get the bone listed as refuse. You can then figure how much of the bony item to feed. HTH

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

#2 cookiemom, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  3. Curiosity101

Thanks for that. I had a quick look at rawfedcats earlier today.

With respect to chicken wings (as an example), do you work out the bone content using that website, but then take the 'muscle/flesh' amount out of the 80% meat content.

Eg. If your chicken wings are 50% bone and you use 200g then you'll need an extra 700g of 'meat' to bring it up to the 80% amount required.

So an example recipe would be

700g meat
    200g chicken wings
    50g liver
    50g kidney

?

#3 Curiosity101, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  4. cookiemom

cookiemom PetForums Senior

Yep that's it, do mix up the proteins, find other organs when you can and scaling it down to 100g portions to feed whole makes easy math, you can add more meat, the 10% bone is the top side of the %, small prey is 5-7%, rabbit is nearer the 10%, mix it up to get nearer to how the cat would eat.

5. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Why not try a raw dog food supplier like nutriment?

6. Curiosity101

Thanks guys.

I thought cats couldn't have raw dog food cause of the higher bone content? Or do you mean they do cat food aswell?

7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Yes they do a specific cat food as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice