Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

RAW DIET/FEEDING - Help needed with bone content

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Cocker_Spaniel, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Cocker_Spaniel

Cocker_Spaniel PetForums Newbie

So I am currently looking into transitioning my dog onto a raw food diet using the BARF model.
    The only thing that I do not understand is how to get the bone content right as I am slightly confused.

So 10% of the diet is bone, lets just say that 10% of the diet is 50 grams... in real life the following stats are not the case but I will just use them to keep things simple.
    So... 50 grams of bone is needed. Lets then say I feed a duck neck that weighs 50 grams, and the bone content of this duck neck is 40%, this would mean that 20 grams is bone and 30 grams is the meat around it, right?
    So, have I really fed the 10% bone that is needed in the diet or do I need to feed 2 and a half duck necks in order to actually reach this 10% bone mark?
    In that case, would this also mean that the 30 grams of meat covering the duck neck contributes to the 70% muscle meat that is needed?
    So by feeding 2 and a half duck necks I have fed 50 grams of bone (10% of the diet) and 75 grams of meat (which makes for around 21% of the 70% meat content of the diet)
    Is this correct?

The above does seem to make much more sense to me however I am unsure if this is actually the right way to go and of course it is crucial to get the balance right, so it is really important that I know exactly what I am doing when it comes to the raw meaty bones and any help will be appreciated.

Thankyou!! :)

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Someone with more experience than me will be able to advise further but you don't have to get the balance exact on every meal. Your maths sounds ok though.

3. Cocker_Spaniel

Yes, balance over time is the way to go!!
    Thankyou for replying Joanne :)

4. ApolloStorm

ApolloStorm PetForums Junior

I raw feed, but PMR not BARF, your maths is right for bone percentage, so you'd have to top off the meal with the rest of the muscle meat. However I tend to balance bone and organ % over a week as it means I can feed just muscle meat meals either side of a bone heavy meal to make sure she's not pooping chalk! In your case, instead of feeding 2.5 duck necks i'd feed two one meal then three. Though 50g for a ducks neck seems a little light, just weighed one of mine at 150g!
    I did used to prep every single meal exactly right but it took AGES to do a months worth and I ended up covered in "meat goop" , and I found she left bits so I took to feeding her a semi complete mince, which has the right bone/organs/meat % then feed whole RMB and fish twice a week to get her omegas and teeth cleaning.

Torin. likes this.
  5. Cocker_Spaniel

Okay, great! That is good to know, now I can be confident with what I'm putting together for her :)

I have calculated the percentages of how much she will eat based on 3% of her body weight - so instead of making sure that every single daily meal has the exactly 70% muscle meat, 10% bone, 10% organ and 10% fruit/veg (which gets really complicated, and as you said I would imagine it would take forever to put together and weigh out perfectly) It works really well to balance that over a weeks worth of meals. So it is being balanced every seven days as opposed to every single day - makes life so much simpler haha and I feel as though a balance over a week is a really good way to go.

Wow, 50 grams is just a little off then haha, but no worries as I was just throwing in some random weight measurements to work with for the thread.

On the subject of fish - what fish do you feed? Have you ever fed mussels?

As well as that, do you feed raw eggs/shell? I think that I am going to give one raw egg a week, leave the shell to dry out for a few days and then crush it up and put it in with some food, just unsure whether to do the whole shell or half a shell as everywhere seems to have different opinions on how much shell to feed.
    It is good to talk to another raw feeder 1 on 1 instead of just researching across the web :)

6. ApolloStorm

If you're on facebook the group Raw feeding Advice and Support is good place to get opinions!
    Yeah over a week is easiest! I feed a bone meal pretty much every other day. The % are all right for the week, its just trial and error to work out how your dogs digestive system likes things- so if i was to feed 3 days of just meat no bone then two bone meals, she'd be sloppy then poop chalk, so i tend to go by how their poop is looking too ( gross i know!)
    I don't feed eggs because Princess Dog doesn't like them! so I'm not much help with eggs, but the shells I know people who literally just feed an egg, whole. so I don't think you'd need to dry it out or anything, just crack the egg in the bowl over the usual food and see how she takes to eating it, the dog may just eat the shell with no complaints.

7. Cocker_Spaniel

Thankyou - I've just joined it, it is great!
    Opposite to my dog then, she loves eggs! What dog do you have out of interest?

8. ApolloStorm

GSD, she's pretty fussy. I only started RAW because she refused her kibble for 4 days straight! I had to blend organs and hide them, the only thing she will never ever turn her nose up at is fish, shes good 99% of the time with the mince now but if its new funky protein she can be a bit like.. whats dis? tried her on some rabbit and she wasn't vastly impressed! but she will gobble down the tripe and game mince which makes me gag!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice