Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw - chest or under counter freezer?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dandogman, Aug 23, 2013.

1. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I've been given the go ahead for a freezer in the shed today.

I've been looking on gumtree/ebay for cheap freezers.

What's better - chest or under counter?

2. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Are you going raw now? :confused: I can't keep up! Mine's a big chest one for three dogs, three month's worth or more. There's a further section to the right and it's about three feet deep. Hard to get cheap freezers, everyone wants them.

[​IMG]

Whole rabbits and lamb breast don't fit in under counter freezers very easily.

#2 cinnamontoast, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  3. Nicki85

Nicki85 PetForums VIP

Suspect it will depend on the space you want to put your freezer in ;) Also depends on how organised you are... even with draws I tend to have stuff in the back I forget about. I'd be terrible with a chest freezer. I have the spare fridge/freezer combo so an under-counter freezer really. No idea how long the food in it lasts them as I have a MVM supplier down the road so always going in and picking things up for them!

4. lozzibear

lozzibear PetForums VIP

I have both a chest and an upright... The upright is great for minces and small things but I wouldn't be without the chest freezer for the bigger things. I had my chest freezer first and was glad of it - I wouldn't have liked having just the upright... although, I am happy having one of each :eek: :D

5. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

I have a small chest freezer for Bees's food. Wish I had one with drawers. I'm forever having to empty everything out to get at stuff at the bottom.

6. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

I have a small chest freezer and an upright... I prefer the upright with drawers, as like others have said, it's easier to find things and not have to pull everything out :)

7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I think chest freezers have more space but you do tend to forget the things right at the bottom. I have an undercounter one as then I can use the top to store things on as well!
    I should imagine someone like Pogo, for example, (who likes to feed half a farm animal at a time) would be better of with a chest freezer!:D

8. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I have a full height one with drawers AND a chest freezer, but I am feeding over 2kg a day as Mylo is still growing and try and go to the abattoir just once a month. I found that when I filled the chest freezer everything was sticking together in one big lump so now double bag and freeze in single layers in the drawers of the upright then when solid I transfer the bags to the chest freezer. When the chest freezer is empty I fill it from the upright and put the fresh stuff in there. This way I know I rotate it and don't leave stuff in there for months.
    I also mix it up when I put it in the chest freezer so that if I take the bags out in layers I know I have given them a mixed diet and don't need to remember what they have had over the last few days.

9. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I have both - under counter freezer plus two of the very deep drawers in ours (as the larger stuff didn't go in it) was OK for just Kilo on about 1.8kg / day, but when I got Rudi too I had to get a chest one. It was nice to reclaim the human freezer for humans too! :laugh:.

10. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

I have 2 chest freezers and i much prefer them to put bulky foods in like rabbits and things

11. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

You def get more in a chest freezer - I guess it really depends on how much bulk buying you'll be doing / what size food you'll be feeding

Drawers are def easier for smaller things like minces etc

If you do go down the chest freezer route, you can get storage tubs etc quite cheaply and it might be an idea to put your minces and other smaller things in these (or plastic bags) as you can easily lift them out and see how much is left

Things also won't "get lost" in the bottom of it that way!

12. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

C4Mz - :lol: I'm also one who would like to feed half a farm animal! :lol:

I have a small chest freezer and an under counter. I would like to get a bigger chest freezer but apparently I have enough room with what I have now. :rolleyes: Needless to say OH would be lost if he had to order their food and if he did he'd quickly run out of room.

However if my kennel plans go ahead they will be having their stuff outside and I can try and persuade my Mum she needs a new chest freezer so I can have their medium one. So then I can get more things in and get big bulk orders that last ages, not a month.

I put bones, chicken carcasses, meat chunks and any other bulky item in my chest freezer. And minces or smaller items in my under counter. You do forget things at the bottom of the chest freezer though.

So if I were you I'd be cheeky and get a small one of each and tell your parents you found a big chest freezer but you wanted some drawer space and the two cost the same as a big would've :p

13. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

I have a full size freezer, under the counter is not big enough if you're ordering lots, if you're buying from a butcher often then it would be sufficient.

14. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

I've just gone through this, and decided on a chest freezer.. much easier to store bulkier stuff

I've bought a couple of freezer storage containers to go on the bottom to stop things getting lost.. and it also helps my fear of falling in the freezer while reaching for something :rolleyes:

15. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

We have a chest freezer and whilst it's good for bin bags of bones and big stuff all the little stuff falls to the bottom never to be seen again...

Ideally I'd have both.

16. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone - will try my luck with both - I'm now off to take Molly out (Pippa's on season) and then I will start to clear the shed...

17. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Chest freezer! Mine was 2nd hand, unused for £80 which I though was an absolute bargain!

All the bones and meats come in different shapes and sizes so you can really stack them, with a chest you literally chuck everything in! Mines split into three sections with boneless meals on the left, minces in the middle and bone meals on the right.

It's not huge but fits a lot of food in it! Couldn't be without it now!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice