Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw Bones - are they for all dogs - making boy sick

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by EmCHammer, Jun 8, 2019.

1. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

I do feed wet and kibble but the boys love a good raw lamb bone.

I firstly struggle to find the right bones anyway, and have limited freezer space so can't bulk order (just found a local supplier so can buy on ad hoc basis which is great).

I wanted to start giving them again as teeth cleaning, one dog always is needing his glands sorting recently and they just love them, as staffies they at least give them something they can't get through in 2 mins and they are natural.

One dog is hates raw chicken despite eating most other things, beef ribs they splinter in about a minute, beef leg type bones they can eat alot very quickly and one blocked himself up before (on the hip joint bit), marrow bones are good but the marrow is quite rich so they can't have for long. Got a deer carcass the other week which they wouldn't go near ha ha..

So its lamb ribs and spines for us. Now one dog does really well on them, but gave the other dog a lamb bone last night and he was restless from 5.30am, had bad tum then was sick again this morning, and has been out of sorts for most of the morning.

Is this common, not sure if cos he maybe ate too big a chunk and had to yak it up, or it was too rich for him (he not had one for a while) or do they just not suit some dogs... is it maybe just not worth it for this dog .. he is quite sicky anyway.

2. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Up until a few weeks ago I fed raw with no problems but my pup who is 9 months couldn't touch lamb he would have an upset tum if he ate the lean meat of the lamb or a raw meaty bone,I would try your dog with Pork ribs instead of the Lamb Morrisons are quite cheap for bones:)

wee man likes this.
  3. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

I always scour Morrison's for bones but they very hit and miss to supply at our local one .

I didn't know they could eat pork bones .. May try that.. thank u

4. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Yes Pork bones are fine a firm favourite in this house:)

wee man likes this.
  5. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Mine loves pork, lamb, venison, duck and turkey

niamh123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice