Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw and IBD

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Emlar, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

So on my forever failing quest for my cat to do a 'normal' poop, a couple of people have mentioned raw feeding.

Is this something that people have found to help cats with stomach/intestine issues?

I've looked at Luna & Me and Purrform. I dont think Id have the time or inclination to make my own!

I couldn't find single source protein meals on Luna & Me, but Purrform do. Does this matter as much with raw? Not that I have found a protein that helps Melvin's digestion issues yet.

Just wondering if anyone feeds any of these, or if they have helped their own cat's IBD. Thanks!

2. Maurey

Maurey Maine Coon Madness

Single protein is easier while you’re trying to rule out what proteins trigger him, if any — some cats will react to fillers rather than proteins. Have you considered using Fellini or EZcomplete with raw or cooked meat? That way you could most easily test a whole lot of proteins.

If you hadn’t stumbled upon it previously, here is a wonderful resource all about raw feeding IBD kitties.

Douglas’ Dad likes this.
  3. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

I think Luna and Me do single protein duck.

I’m not sure how up to date it is as it’s a while since I’ve had a proper read, but Ive found this site useful in the past.

https://www.rawfeedingforibdcats.org/

edit - oops, just seen that this link has already been posted

4. Jenbob21

Jenbob21 PetForums Member

Yes I moved my cat onto a raw diet after struggling to find anything to help his poorly tummy in the first 6 months after adopting him, and it really works for him.
    To start with I found a local pet shop that stocks Purrform which I found through their website so only had to buy a few tubs in case it didnt work.
    With my boy I'm sure he is intolerant to an ingredient in wet food rather than a protein type, but we were careful at first and only gave him turkey raw, but now he has all the variants and has had solid poops ever since!
    I tend to get Luna and Me now as I prefer the patty format. It does take up quite abit of freezer space though so worth bearing in mind, but I'm so glad we made the transition as hes like a different cat now :)

5. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

My doesn't have tummy problems, but I do give her a 90% raw meat diet and add felini to make it complete. If you cat is allergic to a certain single meat (chicken and beef are apparently relatively common), it's easier to eliminate. Also, it's free from grain, which is also another relatively common allergy.

6. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Sounds fab! Although I would definitely need to clear out some freezer space...

Just bought some turkey Animonda Vom Feinsen for neutered cats to try first and then I think we will try raw if this doesn't work. There has been no changed since starting her on the feringa rabbit.

Jenbob21 likes this.
  7. Jenbob21

Jenbob21 PetForums Member

Yes we tried that too..he seemed to be doing well ( but was on steroids too) so ordered LOADS and then he started getting worse again! Typical!
    Our other cat is eating through the stashes fortunately!
    Let us know how you get on, its awful when nothing you try seems to work. Our boy used to have accidents all over too but fortunately that's all cleared up too :)

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Absolutely, raw has helped my cats with digestive issues, including IBD. They've been raw fed for 9 years now. I am not in the UK so can't comment on pre-made brands. I use grocery store meat (organic non-GMO Project Verified) and a pre-mix (meat completer) called EZcomplete.

9. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Fab, thank you! Good to hear from people that its worked for. Think we will try raw if the animonda doesn't work.

10. ktyvasilescu

ktyvasilescu PetForums Junior

hi, just jumping on the band wagon but raw has helped my cat as well. he doesn’t have IBD but a very sensitive tummy and he’s very fussy as well but since changing to raw it’s incredible how his poops have improved

I am using Purrform at the moment as have read that a lot of people were complaining that Luna&Me are not declaring their percentages which is concerning. There is another brand I want to try it’s called Rudy Raw

lorilu likes this.
  11. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Thank you for the reply! It's good to hear from different people's experiences. Seems like raw has helped out a few kitties, so that'll be my next option if the animonda has no effect.

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice