Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ratty help needed

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by thedogsmother, May 29, 2010.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Well as some of you know I got my three newbies yesterday, all has been peacefull till 10 minutes ago it just went pear shaped, big style:mad:, Bitsy has always been a bully and tbh he was the only one I was worried about, he isnt the alpha rat but he is so hormonal atm he is constantly starting squabbles, normally Rommel storms in and sorts him out but he went for Baldrick and Edd when they were in the bottom half of the cage and Rommel was in the top, Edd scarpered but Baldrick didnt know how to get back up and hes bitten his foot and its bleeding a lot, Ive done the salt water thing and its stopping bleeding but its a testament ot his character that I pulled him out of the middle of a fight and he didnt try to bite, he was clinging to the bars in fear. While I was caring for him Bitsy went for Edd so I grabbed him and seperated him. Now I need advice, all the other rats get on but I would hate for Bitsy to be alone having said that I cant put anyone in with him because he can be such a bully and most of my rats are softies. My only options that I can see are castration or permanent seperation:(. Any advice anyone?????? Please:( The other rats are all mortified they are all huddled together in a heap with Baldrick in the middle.

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh no:( so sorry the intros haven't gone smoothly, I found another article which might help, there are a couple of links at the bottom of the page too. Hope this helps:)

3. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

If you only got them yesterday I think you may have moved too fast with the intros - even the most peaceful of intros are generally done over a week at least, starting on neutral ground. You could try taking it a few steps back and starting over slowly, that may work.

4. thedogsmother

Thanks I will give re introing a go maybe building it up over time, It was done on neutral ground with all the tips like smelly food to keep them busy and adding the rats from least dominent upwards, I thought it had gone so well. The trouble is Bitsy has been getting more and more of a bully although hed never hurt anyone before, he is always the one to start trouble and usually my alpha puts him down. I was shocked how well the intros went tbh, the others are all very happy together. Bitsy also went for Edd (my least dominant rat) who he has lived with most of his life. He doesnt actually seem to like other rats, he never grooms them or allows them to groom him and he sleeps alone as far away from them as he can. I just dont feel comfortable having a rat living alone, I will have to have a serious thought about this.

5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Sounds like Bitsy might be a good candidate for the chop!
    You can try removing him and keeping him on his own for 1-2 weeks. Minimal attention from you during this time. Then try introducing them again on neutral ground. The dynamics of the group will have changed a great deal in that time and he will have to work his way up the status ladder again, but you might find the others are more confident about putting him in his place than they were. By socially isolating him, which sounds cruel and is a little, he will be much more likely to be overjoyed to have company again. This worked really well with a doe I had who was very nasty to some babies and by the time she was returned the babies had been taken under the wing of another adult, who stepped in to defend them.

6. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

really i did think it was too good to be true,males can be so hard to introduce.i think some people have done it over a week or so before moving them all intogether and then the cage needs to be disenfected and only food and water bowls are ment to be in the cage!

i think bitsy needs to be de nutted and then give in 2 weeks to calm and his hormones to settle and then try intro's again.

could u not keep the newbies in the jenny cage for now,get bitsy done and then go from there?

sorry it hasn't gone as well as expected.

7. thedogsmother

Sounds like a very good plan, I will try that before going down the castration route thanks.

I was pretty surprised myself tbh although dont think the newbies are enirely the problem really as Bitsy also went for Edd, I think their arrival did spark it all off but hes been getting uppity for a few months, Im really scared about getting him done after loosing my mouse Nobby whilst being castrated, If I can do it by reintroing in a few weeks with a lower status I would like to try that first, if not I might have to go for that option, I really dont want him living alone long term.

8. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I think that is great advice I did it with my cichlid..lol and I moved around items in the tank so he was less familiar..lol

Hope all goes well from now.. fingers x'd xxx

9. Vamp176

Vamp176 PetForums Junior

The Way i introduced my rats was having them in 2 Seprate cages for a week, keeping the cages about half a foot next to each other. Then After that week i swapped them cage to cage for 2 days to reconise each others scents.

Next Part was introducing them out side of the cage. this is tricky becuase you cant introduce them anywhere where your current rats have been becuase there scent is already there and they could get territorial. so i got some towels out and covered my bed and got the 4 of them on there together, the towels is because i knew there was going to be alot of Poo and Pee :p. So when there all on the bed i gave them all some treats and just kept an eye on them to make sure no fighting was going to happen.

After this i had them in the explorer cage together and just kept a close eye on them all for a few days

And if they start to fight then you go back from the start again .

Also if one of them is bleeding again aparently Cornflowe mixed with water is good way to stop bleeding

10. thedogsmother

Thanks for the tip about cornflower Vamp176, I am hoping if I try the method Merlins Mum has suggested things mught be ok, its is really only Bitsy who was bothered by the newcomers, if that doesnt work I was tempted to put Bitsy in a smaller cage inside the explorer to see if he could get used to them.

11. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Hope you can get it sorted :eek: x

12. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

They might try and fight if you do that, I wouldn't recommend it. I find rats more likely to bite through bars than if they met in person.

13. thedogsmother

Okey dokey I will scrap the cage in cage idea then :eek:

14. thedogsmother

I know Merlins Mum is right and knows sooooooo much about rattys but I cant even look at the cage anymore. Bitsy is constantly trying to get through to the other half of the cage, he is clinging to the bars sniffing upwards and making me feel so mean, cant I just fast forward a week so I can start intros again, anyone know Dr who so I can hop in the tardis? I know its his own fault for being naughty but he certainly knows how to make me feel bad:(.

15. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

You have divided the cage? It will work better if he is separate and away from other rats.

16. thedogsmother

I have lots of spare cages so thats not a problem, I'll dig one out tomorrow and pop him in another part of the house, this is heartbreaking to watch. Just to add they cant see him, its an explorer and hes below them but they can still smell each other.

17. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Great - basically what you're doing is putting him in the ratty equivalent of the 'naguhty corner' (if you want to think of it like that) or solitary confinement for a while if you want to really beat yourself up about it! ;) I know it is hard, but you're allowing the others to sort themselves out a bit in the meantime. Last resort he could be snipped (meaning he would have to be separated for a while anyway) and then later on when the hormones have subsided he could live with your girls maybe!

18. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

.....................or i could steal him :thumbup:

Hope he starts behaving TDM! Im sure he will work it out :) x

19. thedogsmother

Thanks for the advice MM, after what happened with Nobby I want neutering to be the absolute final option after Ive tried everything else.

20. thedogsmother

Omg you are always trying to steal my rattys you meanie;), anyway Ive warned you if you try Henrick will bite you because hes big and tough and mean:lol:.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice