Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rattle cans etc.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Jul 23, 2009.

1. rona

rona Guest

I seen a few people one here that advocate the use of rattle cans, training discs or water squirting to deal with a problem behaviour.
    I'm not sure that these methods go hand in hand with what is termed positive training as they rely on the shocked fear response of the dog to be effective.
    Anyone got any thoughts on this

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I don't use them. Sky is afraid when I shake open a black bag, I dread to think how she'd react if I rattled a can/bottle in her face!

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I use positive training methods 98% of the time.
    Mine get a loud "Ah-Ah" or clap of the hands on the odd occasion I want to interupt them.
    I wou;dn't want to install any fear which I think rattle cans etc can do.

4. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I used stones in a small bottle to distract one of my dogs barking at other dogs when we were out on a walk,all i did was shake the bottle at my side,the other side to the dog it was not a really loud sound to frighten him ,it just distracted him,and it worked after a few times i didnt need it again.

5. Oblada

Oblada Guest

I was advised the rattle cans/bottles at the beginning when I got Diego but it didnt work - he was too interested in the can, not one bit shocked or frightened by the noise it made so eventually it became yet another toy ;)

I do use water squirting ever so rarely for behaviours I really do not find a good way to deal with otherwise - basically unwanted behaviour such as barking in the tent or attacking the vacuum cleaner...but I always reinforce with praise and treats. It works because Diego does not like water - so yeah he does not enjoy it but it does not hurt him either. Its also more based on distraction than fear.
    I believe in some correction being necessary when training a dog, it cant all be treats and praise for good behaviour and ignore the rest - a bit like kids really.
    As long as correction is sparse and mindful of the individual dog I dont see a problem (and of course should be reinforced with more positive associations!).

Dunno the training disc though, what is that?

6. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

That sounds like the correct way to use such methods, a simple distraction.
    I wouldn't say that was any different from a 'shsst' from the owner.

7. rona

rona Guest

Excellent post, I agree wholeheartedly with your points :)

8. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

It's a hard one. These tools are not something to be used without professional guidance (Dog Borstal I love but they have ALOT to answer to!!:mad:). I have used water on Sidney to try stop his barking in the van (not worked though!!) and I've also used it for training dog agressive dogs, and it does work but you have to be quick and exact. I have also used a spray collar on a clients dog that was barking so much while kennelled (he is a working dog) that he was going to be 'removed'. I don't like it but for this dog it was the quick shock factor and it saved his life so in that case I absolutely would do it again!!

Cans,bottles and disc's I'm not a fan of as I feel they are more fear related training tools and it's not the methods I'd advocate.

9. davehyde

davehyde Banned

i haven't used any of those methods, not cos i dont like them just haven't used them.

if my mutt starts to play up i try to always use my voice if i can, make him aware i MUST be listened to.

i use the WATCH command to get him to look at me then i will make him sit or lay down to engage his mind a bit and distract him that way.
    i have also started whistle training recently and i have found a good peep can get his attention on me.

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I have used the rattle bottle, to distract our rotti with when he was very focused on something, just to get his atention away from whatever it was he was staring at.

I have also used it to help train a staff x who would jump and bark at the window at anyone going past, as soon as I shook it he would stop, to be rewarded for stopping.

it did work on the occasions I have used it, however I do prefer to use positive reinforcement rather than correction but I used it as a last resort on dogs who I could not break their attention otherwise.

x

11. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

When we got Rocky our second rescue dog 12 years ago, a behaviourist told us to use the spray bottle to stop him chasing the cats. Rocky never took any notice of the spray but out other dog Angel who had previously been good friends with the cats became so afraid of the she wouldn't look at or be in the same room as them even though she had never been sprayed.
    Since then I have only ever used positive training (LOTS of treats!) and have found it to be much more effective.

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I think it depends very much on the individual dog and how sensitive they are to these methods. Some would be traumatized by a rattle bottle, others shrug it off. It also depends on the intensity of the behaviour you want to alter - for a dog set on something to the point where it is thinking of, and responding to nothing else, then one of these 'punitive' methods could be the only way to get through to it.
    I have used a spray collar to stop my dog invading football matches, and it has worked brilliantly. I also occasionally use a squirt bottle when she persistently barks at other dogs, for instance at agility training. It is enough to stop her if she knows it's nearby! She is a collie cross jack russell, a combination of sensitivity and devil-may-care attitudes.

13. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

I personally have never had to use any aids, a good firm NO! has always worked for me... but i guess the are better than using E-collars...:eek:

14. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ive used one on Oscar. But it wasnt until about a year after i got him, and i had consistently tried other training methods.

I was taught the appropriate way in which to use it, and only used it for a couple of issue, not for every aspect of training.

Worked a treat, and now all i have to say is "tin", as "no" seems to fall on deaf ears sometimes. Only had to use it a handful of times aswell. Tbh, its more of a diversion rather than a punishment. I most certainly do not have a nervous or scared dog. because of it.

I wouldnt use it for Alfie though, and never have done.

15. Have used the water spray! the stones in jar ect works pretty much the same as the spray corrector! which I find is damd good for anti social behaviour!
    Was tempted to try some training discs once! But the dog has to be wthin a reasonable distance (mind you it does with all these options) and it is important that the discs are thrown/shaken/dropped in the instance!
    regards
    DT

16. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I use the spray bottle. 'no' just doesn't cut it when you got 4 dogs running about and 2 of them just want to playfight! Lol

x

17. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I don't mind them if used by someone who knows what they're doing or has trainer supervision. It depends on the individual dog positive renforcement doesn't work for every dog sometimes you have to use these methods.

18. stellasmama

stellasmama PetForums Member

we briefly used a rattle can when we first got Stella to stop her barking in the house. She barked at the tv....she barked in her crate. It was a small can with just a few pennies in it that we carried around with us. When she barked we would shake it once (not at her or in her face) and the noise would distract her from barking....then we would praise for being quiet.

Now she seldom barks and when she does we just make a "ssstttt" noise and she stops.

19. Goldie57

Goldie57 PetForums Newbie

I can see how it could be a safe way to distract a dog from an undesired behavior when using one's voice didn't work. It would depend on the dog. My two dogs are so noise- and motion-shy, it would be terrifying. But all dogs are different, and require different training methods--mostly positive, hopefully.

1 person likes this.
  20. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I've used water in situation where I need to interrupt a crazed mindset in order to follow up with positive reinforcement of calm behaviour, which seems to be the element that is missing when I see self taught people using these methods :(. I also agree with Oblada... it has to be about the dog and you should be confident that your dog will not be adversely affected. I carry a pet corrector on most walks, just in case something kicks off with another dog, a quick interrupter is far better than two or more injured dogs

Training Disks, although having their roots in the same 'punitive' principles, are slightly different. A dog is conditioned to the disks to understand that the sound of clinking disks means 'removal of praise/treats', which is a powerful punishment in itself (conditioning is done in the exact reverse to conditioning for the clicker). The chink of the disks is not about a loud noise or shock but a trigger in the dog's brain that this is not an acceptable behaviour and signifies removal of pleasure. Disks can be effective, but are totally impractical to use.... I tried them many years ago and they were always rattling in my pocket or dropping on the floor at totally the wrong time

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice