Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rattie Pituitary Tumour?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Argent, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Hey all, Lavender, the mum of my other five ratties has had a head tilt for ages now. The vet had her on Baytril, then added steroids, on which she improved ever so slightly in her ability to cope - it wasn't turning her world upside down anymore. When that course finished, she was still sounding respy now and then but about a month or two has passed and as of yesterday, her head tilt has got her rolling again :(

I'm having her daughter Shank's lump removed and getting her spayed at the same time this week, and just as well, as I don't think Lavi will be with us too much longer...she's 22 months old, nearly 23, and her symptoms seem much more similar to PT rather than an inner ear infection.

She reminds me so much of one of my first boys, Joey, who was pts due to his pt at 23 months, it caused him to slowly deteriorate til he was pretty much a shell.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of anything I can give her to perhaps ease her disorientation? I was thinking maybe some Metacam to ease any inflammation around her brain...she's still bright and fairly active. She's always been on the small side but is interested in her food and can still amble about and eat freely. She's had no hand clenching yet, her mobility is still very good.

2. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Hey hun did you mean to put this in general rather than Rodents?? Sorry to hear about your ratty problems wish I could help xxxx

3. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Whoops, that was a total accident...I was just on a board so I posted DX

Could a mod move this please?

4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

moved it for you. Sorry your Rattie is unwell :(

5. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

If it is PT then the best thing is to get her a dex injection and some gallastop, which has been known to help slow down pt's.

I'm sorry your having to go through this I have a PT rat here it is heartbreaking to see :(

6. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Thanks, I'll ask the vet for these when I get Shank seen over her lump and possibility of a spay at the same time :) It's so hard to tell if it's actually a PT or something else because there's about three different things with the exact same initial symptoms...she's not really showing any other PT signs, just the head tilt and rolling with her balance going, but we have treated it as if it were an ear infection and there's been pretty much no change so it's worth a shot.

Lymorelynn: thanks so much for moving it for me x

#6 Argent, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  7. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I havnt experinced this yet so Im not sure :(

Hopes shes ok Pt sounds horrible for a rat (and owner) to go through :(

8. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Thanks for responding - luckily with a pituitary tumour, the rat generally isn't aware of what's going on. I guess it can become more frustrating for them when their mobility goes, but they're not in any pain per se. Just gotta keep an eye on her til it gets too much :(

9. spoiled_rat

spoiled_rat PetForums Senior

The pressure inside the skull can cause quite a bit of pain, as it does in humans and other animals.
    Head tilts are pretty uncommon with Prolactinomas, until the very latter stages usually.

10. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

Has she had any antibiotics other then baytril? Baytil sometimes clears up ear infections and sometimes doesn't, so it might be worth trying another one. Also, did she have injected steroids? They seem to work a lot faster then oral steroids. Ear infections take a long time to treat. Nix's only cleared up properly after nearly 2 months on antibiotics and 2 steroid injections.

IME, head tilts from PTs aren't like head tilts from ear infections. With a late stage PT the rat appears to be leaning as if it's drunk. I would also expect other symptoms such as an inability to use the hands and arms.

11. Petitepuppet

Petitepuppet PetForums VIP

It was the same for my Bee and although the infection cleared up, she was left with a slight permanent tilt..

12. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

Nix is also quite tilty, but she's had 2 ear infections now.

13. Maltey

Maltey PetForums VIP

Prednisone is supposed to slow down PTs. I've heard it's quite effective, although I can't say I've had to suffer this yet (touch wood)

14. spoiled_rat

It does not slow preogression, it just reduces inflammation and discomfort associated with prolactinomas, however methyl-prednisolone and Dexamethasone are far stronger and more effective.

15. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Thanks Laura, she and Shank are off to the vets next week so I'll make a note of these and bring it along. She had been coping since the oral steroids etc til literally the other night when she went bad again :( . It's been a bit of an uphill struggle just to get her some oral steroids from the vet, so I really hope she's willing to give this a try.

16. spoiled_rat

I personally prefer injectable steroids over oral ones. Voren 14 is a brand of injectable steroid (Dexamethasone) that supposedly lasts around 14 days, hence the name, but I have found it lasts approx 10 days in rats before a decline and tail-off in efficacy starts to become apparant.

Oh, and if you struggle getting what you want from your vet as they do not wish to source it or dispense it or cost is prohibitive...you can ask them to write you a prescription for it, costs around a tenner, and they legally cannot refuse you one, and you can then buy stuff online etc.

17. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I also prefer injectable steriods, much more effective.

18. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

I wanted for her to have an injection too, but the vet really wasn't sure >.<

19. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

When my girls have had injections they might make a bit of noise then they come back for cuddles. It's not a really horrible thing for them.

20. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

I had a previous rat get the injectable steroid and come home with tablet ones and Baytril, but that was 4 years ago :(

Wondering if Metacam would help ease anything til I can get her to the vets? She doesn't appear to be chewing very well, she's putting bits of food between her teeth but can't seem to bite through them...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice