Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rats

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Teddybearr, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Teddybearr

Teddybearr PetForums Newbie

Ok, now that I found some great toy ideas for my rabbits, I was wondering what kind of toys I could use for my rats.

They seem to be a little shy when they're out of the cage. I have 3 boys, they are very friendly when you walk past the cage and they will all come up to the top to say hello. When they're out of the cage they're a little shy and seem to have no interest in doing anything but running around. Any ideas?

2. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Welcome to the forum! Have a look here. Great list of toy ideas :) Though to be honest they are rats, exploring is what they do and there ain't nothing gonna change that :p How old are they?

Peace
    Akai-Chan

3. Teddybearr

Teddybearr PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the link! I put a couple toilet paper rolls out for them and they don't even care about it being there. If I put it in their cage and put them in there, they love playing with it. I'm thinking maybe they're just shy outside of their own little territory.

All 3 are about 4-5 months old now. 2 are brothers and one is a dumbo rat:)

4. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

I think it might just be a rat thing :p mine love to come out and run around because outside of their cage there's just SO MUCH TO SNIFF :D Inside they have to entertain themselves.

Once they've finished puberty, chances are they'll be more uccdly. At about 8-12 months, boys suddenly settle down and turn into lazy gits who love nothing more than to come out and cuddle :p I wouldn't worry to much that they're disinterested in toys outside their cage, it's normal ratty behaviour.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

5. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

you could try lying down and see if they want to explore you and your clothes? depends on how much you trust them lol as they will explore wherever they can get to and nibble your clothes, very amusing :D

if not, boxes are ALWAYS interesting.

6. zeon85

zeon85 PetForums Junior

could always build a maze i did for my rats they loved hunting for treats

7. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Problem is you have to change it around regularly cos they remember it and figure it out really quickly :p

Also: You're in Brighton? hooray!

Peace
    Akai-Chan

8. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

9. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

I already linked that site in my first post :p Sorry! beat you to it!

Peace
    Akai-Chan

10. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

so you did :blush2: sorry:blushing:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice