Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rats

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Labrador Laura, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Labrador Laura

Labrador Laura PetForums VIP

I would LOVE more rats, i once had three girls and lost them all to tumors something i didn't know rats got until i lost my first one. I got them when i was 16 and i just loved them to bits they never once bit me they all had lovely characters. Most people hate rats but they had to be my best pets i've had growing up and i've missed them so much since losing them all. I lost the last girl over a year ago and i really would love more...

If i go to a breeder, do i still risk getting rats that will have tumors? Two of mine really suffered and luckily the last one i decided to put her down before she suffered too, and i'd hate to go through all that again.

[​IMG]
    Pheobe, Monica and Faith.

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

So sorry you lost all your girls this way, going to a good breeder who breeds for health & temperament would definitely be a step in the right direction. Mammary tumours are often benign & easily removed with a lumpectomy, some people are also opting for a spay at the same time as this may prevent future tumour recurrence. The NFRS has a breeders list:)

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

My last two girls have both got mammory tumours, they have both had a tumour removed in the past and they have reoccurred, apparently if you have a female rat neutered before they reach sexual maturity then the risk of tumours is greatly reduced but putting them through an operation carries risks in itself.

4. spoiled_rat

spoiled_rat PetForums Senior

Rats from petshops/rescues/BYB are statistically more likely to get benign mammary lump than rats from breeders who breed for health and select away from such things.

Be warned....even going to a NFRS breeder, there is good and bad everywhere, and there are quite a few breeders on the breeders list who don't really put that much effort into trying to minimise these things, a classic example being 2 sisters from a well respected rattery who by the time they were 16 months old had 21 lumps between them :(

I have bred a few with lumps myself, 4 to be exact out of over 200 rats so far, which statistically I suppose aint bad, but not something I am happy about.

5. Labrador Laura

I was 16 at the time when i got them and sadly hadn't done my research like i would of done now. I get them from pets at home, so i hate to think where they came from, but until i had them i never knew rats were so loving and great pets. I will get girls again i think.

6. Labrador Laura

I think the fact that all three suffered from the same thing made me question their breeding. The first one went over night with no sign and she seemed healthy with no lumps and the next morning she had gone, then the second one i came home from college and she was struggling to breath so i had her cuddled up with me on my lap all night as the vet didn't see it as an emergency i stayed up with her all night it was horrible, i know you shouldnt have fav's but she was different to her sisters she was a really mummys girl and soooo loving. Then the next morning she was put down at the vets yet again her lump wasn't visible to the eye, but when my last had a lump on her hind leg and i knew i would be facing it all over again, and after a trip to the vets, she offered to remove it but she said it would come back. So i felt it was kinder to put her to sleep and stop her suffering and also she was alone, and had been for 3months. I just love rats, and could stay here all night talking about my old three.

7. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

out of my 9 girls one has a lump which shes due to have taken off and be spayed at the same time although she is around 14 months ish im hoping it stops them from returning

defo look into breeders most will be happy for you to go along as have a chat with them aswell

8. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

It sounds like the two could've had respiratory infections as u say one was struggling to breath.
    They looked like beautiful girls and I'm sure they had a lovely life with u.

I've 14 boys living all together.
    I prefer boys to girls as boys are much more docile and like being cuddled they generally just stay on your lap.well when they get older they do. My four 10wk olds dont lol. But the rest are slowly getting lazier as they get older.

9. Labrador Laura

She was finding it hard to breath, i felt horrible not being able to get her to the vet till the morning. They were beautiful girls, not one bad word about them.

Wow, 14! Easy or hard work lol?

10. Obzocky

Obzocky PetForums Member

Your girls were beautiful, you did the best you could and that is all that matters.

I haven't noticed that much difference between breeder/pet shop does. I've been pretty lucky with both, only a few of them have ended up with mammary tumours and of them only 2 ended up with particularly aggressive growths. The other one had multiple growths but as they didn't effect her and were fairly small the vet decided removing them would be too hazardous for her health.

Having said that i've only had 17 rats, just under half of which were does, so there's still time for those numbers to go up.

If one were to go to a breeder (which is always my recommendation after rescue) then I would see if I could talk to others in the rat community, see what their experiences have been like, and of course how open they are to discussing their line - both strengths and weaknesses. I think I spent a bit of time chasing people at local shows way back in my early teens, trying to get a feel for who i'd be happy buying off. It's rather time consuming though, rat forums are probably the way forward.

11. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Easy but they require more cleaning out lol.

It sounds like your girl had a respiratory infection.
    Poor baby.
    They usually show signs though like funny breathing or funny noises.
    Rats dont make sounds other than squeaking.

12. spoiled_rat

spoiled_rat PetForums Senior

They hiss, grunt, scream and chirrup too, especially my wildies!

13. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Yes I know.
    I ment no funny pidgin noises or rattling noises.

14. Labrador Laura

I don't think i'll ever have that many lol. Would be nice though :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice