Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rats vs Mice (not fighting eachother, as pets lol!)

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Stephiib14, May 15, 2020.

1. Stephiib14

Stephiib14 PetForums Junior

Hi everyone :)
    I have an almost 6 year old daughter, "she" in fact I, well I suppose WE lol, have two little mice as pets. They're proving GREAT little companions for us both. I've decided hamsters aren't for us, the last two I've owned in my life made scary noises at me and made me afraid lol! Since being a kid I've wanted lots of animals and not been allowed them, but now I'm a grown up I can have whatever pet I want mwahaha. Anyway thinking into our rodent keeping future, mice are definitely on the shortlist of pets I'd have again but I wondered about how different keeping rats and mice really is, other than size?

Engel98 likes this.
  2. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

I have owned rats and not mice but I'd assume not much different.

While male mice need to be kept alone you can keep a pair or group of male rats.

I found bucks to be larger but more snuggly while my females were more active. Rats also need a tall cage and I've never seen one with a wheel. You can litter train them though! And teach them tricks. Highly intelligent and loving much like dogs ❤️

Also note they can get really big. My one boy Klaus (photo) was the length of my arm, 2ft long from nose to tail. Weighed just shy of 1kg in his prime and I had to hold him with both hands. He was lovely though, and my 2yr old niece (well at the time she was 2) loved him and they'd play together, supervised obviously.
    Snapchat-840517168.jpg

3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

My daughter had pet rats: They are just the best pets, but need lots of space, time out of a cage (as big as you have space for and full of toys, runs, tunnels etc) to run about, and attention because they’re super-intelligent. Actually quite demanding to keep as they deserve.

They can learn to come when called, follow basic commands and limitless tricks.

4. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Be aware that rats predate mice
    So, if you have them in the same room, both species will be in a heightened state all the time
    If you smell of mouse and you pick up a rat, you're very likely to be bitten, and, vice versa
    I would never keep another pet rodent in the same room as rats

5. Stephiib14

Stephiib14 PetForums Junior

I don't intent to keep more than one type of rodent at a time xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice