Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rats trying to get to Guinea Pig

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by TheFatRatLady, Aug 15, 2019.

1. TheFatRatLady

TheFatRatLady PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone!

I have an elderly guinea pig who lives in a custom-built cage which is raised about three feet above the ground (four feet if you include the c&c panels around the edge) I have also recently brought two young, female rats home. I rat-proofed my room and the new girls have free-reign of the space whenever I'm home. It's been working really well until today. One of the girls began insistently trying to find a way into the guinea pig cage. After I thwarted several attempts, she scaled her way up a FLAT surface and managed to get in. I didn't realise at first as I was working on my laptop, but when i looked over she was in the cage, nose to nose with my piggie! Their body language seemed relaxed, they were just sniffing each other, but I was super cautious when i moved to separate them as I didn't want either of them to startle and misread the other's body language (different species and all).

My question is, does anyone know of a way I can discourage this? My rats climb everything (my bed, desk, window sills etc) which is fine as i've made it all safe for them but my GP deserves her own space. I don't want her getting stressed or any of my pets getting hurt.

TLDR; My rat is a mastermind and is obsessed with my Guinea Pig. How do I keep them apart?

2. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

Ratties are very smart and can be taught tricks like dogs. If mine went somewhere they weren't suppose to go then I'd call them or block that area off. I read somewhere that double sided tape wrapped around wires helps stop them going near them as they don't like the feel of the glue, so maybe try to incorporate that somehow?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice