Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rats - some advice, please!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by goulash, Aug 6, 2009.

1. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

We've two cats, and live in an urban area. They're both allowed outdoors, but only one of them really goes out. We've a small garden where they spend most of their time. Apart from the usual worries when allowing cats out (cars, foxes, idiotic people, etc) another problem materialised yesterday - rats. I didn't see it, but heard it rummaging in the bushes.

We've had issues with rats, on and off, over the years here - always outside, and never nesting in the garden, but sometimes running along the fence or edge of the patio. As we've only had the cats 8 months, the rat + cat combination hasn't cropped up yet. In the past I've controlled the rats with poison (yes, I own up to it, I'm a very bad person).

Now, it's got to be different: if any poison goes down, and a cat catches & eats a rat, then cat could get poisoned. This happened to our grey tabby when I was a kid. Also, if the cat brings a half-dead rat into the house, what then? The idea of a rat running around in here makes me quake!!

Maybe our two won't go near any rats. Googoo, the outdoorsy one, is a pretty big cat though...

Thanks for any advice!

2. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

I don't have any advice as as far as I am aware cats will be cats and if they want something, they will get it!

Our 2 have just started their hunting careers and we have had a frog and 2 birds in a week!

Good luck and I hope they leave the rats alone, I like you would be petrified although muct admit birds scare the hell out of me!

3. borderer

borderer Guest

get some ferrets they will see them off:D

4. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

Ferrets? I thought you had to live in Yorkshire...? :smilewinkgrin:
    (Thanks for the tip!)

Googoo began his hunting career (great phrase) a few months back. We've had two birds - one was stone dead, the other wasn't, but luckily shot out the window when I opened it.

5. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

At least one got away!

We had a completely dead sparrow and a half dead pidgeon which my OH had to put out of his misery.

I wouldn't mind so much if they left their captures in the garden, why do they have to bring them home to us?!!:rolleyes:

6. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Stop putting poison down and let the cats have their fun - I assure you that cats are very efficient at catching rats!

7. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

Thanks lizward, that's reassuring advice. I've not put any kind of poison down for nearly a year - since long before we had our cats here. I'd like to think that if rats had any sense they'd keep away from googoo, he can be pretty lethal. But we'll see.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice