Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rats need new home :-(

Discussion in 'Small Animal Classifieds' started by Houseofpets, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Houseofpets

Houseofpets PetForums Member

My Daughter has 11 rats, 6 females, 4 males who live together and a lone Double rex male that need adopting.

Unfortunately due to GCSE studies she feels she no longer has time for them and she doesn't want them to be unloved as they are all so loving and can't wait to come out for cuddles. None of them have ever bitten or gone to bite.

One of the girls in the group of 6 that live together had a stroke a few months ago, apart from tilting her head to the side she is perfectly fine but does need special care when handling her as she is a little unsteady.

Two of the males in the group of 4 are hairless.

All are extremely frendly, will come to the cage door and be hand fed and love to come out and be cuddled.

The double rex male (Fugly), loves to come out and nestle in your t-shirt, but only once he has given you a bit of a wash!!

If you feel you can take any of them (although we would like them to stay in their current groups) please get in touch. We do not want any money for them at all, just someone to love them.

Please note we will not let them go if we believe they are to used for Snake food! These are pets through and through.

We are in the MK area.

2. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Have you contacted local rescues?

3. Houseofpets

Yes and unfortunately none of them are able to take them :-(

4. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

That's sad, but so many unwanted animals :(

If your daughter can't look after them, maybe you could help her then? Buy animals and you take on a lifetime commitment ...

5. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

How far are you prepared to travel to get them into a non destruct rescue?

6. Houseofpets

I appreciate your comment, however, sometimes it is better to admit you can't give the time and attention to a pet it was once used to and however heartbreaking it is choose what's best for the animal.

7. NoSpecialFeaturesHere

NoSpecialFeaturesHere PetForums Senior

Really?! I'm so surprised. I went through all my GCSEs and college too with dogs, cats, rats and birds and none of them missed out on anything... I don't understand what the problem is? She has no time because of studying? How come? :confused: Poor things, what a shame. They don't live long anyway, she really can't keep her pets a couple piddly years? Sad. Why get them in the first place? Sorry, I don't mean to be snarky I'm just honestly flabbergasted.

I wish them the best in finding loving forever homes. Good luck.

8. NoSpecialFeaturesHere

In that case, don't take them to a rescue because they won't get much attention at all there. There's too many animals and not enough time sadly. Any chance of placing them with friends/family? Put the word out and ask everyone you trust to ask everyone they trust to ask everyone they trust, to see if there are any takers. That way you can ensure they end up with someone who'll take care of them.

ETA, Actually maybe a rat rescue would be better... I was thinking of all-animal shelters like the one I worked at where I know the rats didn't get enough attention.

9. Houseofpets

Well done NoSpecialFeaturesHere, really pleased you could combine them all. I didn't start this link so people could have a go about the right or wrongs of it, all we want to do is give them a good home where people can spend more time with them than we can now give.

Please only respond if you have something constructive to say not tell me how you all managed so well fitting it all in!

10. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

At times this is true, but I kept my dogs/cats/small animals while nursing full time, newly married/helping run an animal rescue and caring for poorly parents ... sure you have to juggle, sure they may get less attention, but you manage and things get better :)

I once moved away from home to do further training for a year, my mum kept my cat and guineas, caring for them until I returned. It can be done :)

Ultimately your shout, hope you can find a rescue place, sometimes you do need to travel or wait for places. Good luck to ratties x

11. NoSpecialFeaturesHere

:rolleyes: I'm not bragging. I don't find it a massive achievement to take care of my pets. I just genuinely don't understand people "not having time" and I let my emotions get away with me. Excuse me for offending you.

12. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

i wasnt critiscising or judging - if you had been prepared to travel I could have recommended a good rescue - that is all :(

13. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

where are you?

14. Kazzii-Loves-Ratties

Kazzii-Loves-Ratties PetForums Member

Hi hun,
    It must be a very sad time for your daughter to get rid of her pets, id never want to loose my little hunnies they always brighten up my day.
    GCSE's are a very stressful time in a persons life also.
    where are you hun i know you said MK, but i had no idea where that is?
    do you have pics this might encourage people.
    Kind regards Kayleigh

15. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Just seen your other posts .... Is this the same daughter who has the time to walk dogs to earn extra pocket money?

#15 Cleo38, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  16. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

I asked that and havent had an response!

I had offered to provide an address of a very good rescue for the rats but if it is the same daughter I feel that the priorities are out of order :(

17. Houseofpets

Nope not the same Daughter at all - sometimes people have more than one!

18. tagalong

tagalong PetForums Senior

I have pm'd you

19. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Can i just say.. The OP is looking for help and someone to take these guys on.. Not to be slated for her reasons.. Not everyone copes as well with lots of things going on in their lives...

20. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

As I had read another post by the OP I was merely asking a question if it was the same daughter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice