Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rats nails...

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Sassysas, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Sassysas

Sassysas PetForums Senior

Has anyone got any good tips on how to trim rat nails? Is there anything I can put in the cage that helps them to keep their nails at a healthy length?
    Thanks in advance :D

2. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Could try that bird sandpaper that you can get in wilkos, mine have scratched me to hell!!

3. marion..d

marion..d PetForums VIP

i have known a few people put a brick in the cage, underneath the water bottle so when they go for a drink they wear nails down slightly. i didnt use brick,i just trim nails with nail clippers if necessary, very wriggly though lol

4. Sassysas

Sassysas PetForums Senior

That's what I've been doing (nail clippers...) but there must be a easier way...might try the brick or bird sand paper...or maybe I could wrap the sandpaper round the brick,lol. I can feel new inventions coming along....

zany_toon likes this.
  5. Rat Queen

Rat Queen PetForums Newbie

Wont the sandpaper hurt the soft parts on the rats feet, i use bricks in my rats cage and it seems to work.

6. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

I've heard of a lot of people use sandpaper to get the animals nails trimmed down. Bird sandpaper stuff (don't you love my technical knowledge!!) might be better given that it is designed for this purpose for birdies. I'm thinking of getting a little for my new mice as they refuse to use their wheel and I'm convinced that the 12 hours my other mice spend in their wheel is the reason their nails are nice and short!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice