Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rat shredded own tail?!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by ratlover1348, Apr 26, 2019.

1. ratlover1348

ratlover1348 PetForums Newbie

Please help, my rat has a respiratory infection and has been to a vet and is taking antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory medicine. He is recovering and is his usual self. As this morning when greeting my rat he was excited and friendly as usual, until he climbed to the top of his cage I was horrified to see a good 2 inches of the end of his tail is literally shredded into many independent pieces a horrible dark blood red and just completely chewed and shredded. Although he doesn't seem to be in pain at all which is strange. It's so incredibly graphic i felt like i was going to puke. How is this possible? How can a tail even become like that. I took him to the vet instantly and he seemed unbothered and just said either him or the other rat i have must of chewed it. He gave no reason as to why this could be or how, and so he will have it amputated once his respiratory infection has gone hopefully. Has this ever happened to anyone before? I'm just looking for answers as to why a seemingly happy healthy rat could have done this?

2. Alvina

Alvina PetForums Junior

There are a couple of pieces of literature (on the web) suggesting self mutilation is an way of dealing with stress.
    But from your account it places doubt he was/is stressed.
    Maybe monitor his relationship with his cage mates.
    Im not an rat person so I really dont know.
    Hope he recovers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice