Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rat Introductions

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by bewitched, Feb 10, 2012.

1. bewitched

bewitched PetForums VIP

So, I've read a million different things, a million times (slight exaggeration lol) about introducing my new boys to my old ones.
    I was wondering if any of you lovely people who have done It before, have any advice.
    ANything is appreciated thanks :D

2. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I've done it loads of times hehe
    Just make sure intro's are done in neutral territory with no toys to fight over, and try to end an intro on a good note.
    Depending on how they react with each other depends on how long you want the intro sessions to be.

I tend to start with the intention that the first intro will last for 10 mins, if the signs are really good I will keep them together for longer, but if they start looking like things might kick off I will separate.
    If I have to separate I will build up the intro's day by day until I am happy to keep them in a cage together over night. Once they have been together for a couple of nights without any issues I will start adding one toy a day until the cage is full again :)

3. bewitched

bewitched PetForums VIP

THank you. I want to make sure I do this right x

4. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I do pretty much the same as b3rnie really
    I poss rush mine abit BUT my boys are extremely laid back and none seems to care there's another rat with them lol

I wouldn't rush intros with my girls tho as I know my two newest ones would cause trouble lol

Good luck!

5. bewitched

bewitched PetForums VIP

Thanks. They'll be no rushing from me that's for sure :lol:

6. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I do my intros in the bath, I plonk a plate of nice smelly tuna so they walk in it and smell like each other and have somthing yummy to take their minds off each other, then when Im sure they arent going to eat each other ;) I put them back in the cage they will be living in, having first cleaned and emtied it of any toys, I then pop them all in there and watch them for a few hours. Boxing and power grooming is fine as long as nobody is being hurt, after a day or so I start putting the toys and hammocks back in. Dont worry about a bit of pushing and shoving its normal for them to work out whos going to be boss.

7. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

A lot of people also going from the bath use the carrier method and then after an hour if that they get plonked into a small hamster sized cage for a couple of days so that they are forced to bond because if they go into say a freddy sized cage they have places to run and climb bars out of the way.

After that then into the main cage but bare with only food and water and poss scatter feed incase of bowl guarding.
    Then each day add a hammock and see how all goes.
    If it kicks off back to the small hamster cage they go.

8. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

The main cage will need to be thoroughly scrubbed before u can add the babies to get rid of any smells of the older lads.

9. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Just to say the more you read, the more you will panic, If my experience is anything to go by serious fighting isnt the norm, my intros (male and female) have almost always gone easily, with the exception of one very hormonal male who was already displaying serious issues with other rats and had to be neutered.

10. bewitched

bewitched PetForums VIP

I was thinking of going from The bath to a hamster cage, to the Freddy, to the explorer.
    Yep, I'm gonna stop thinking about it too much or I'll get myself stressed lol.

11. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Yes u need to be as calm as possible as rats can sense when your ate up and worried. That was I was told anyway.

12. bewitched

bewitched PetForums VIP

Well, so far so good. They've been in the carrier for 15 mins now and all that we've done is a lot of sniffing of each other. I really thought Bert was gonna be an issue so I'm really pleased. Ernie has poofed himself a little bit but not fully :D

13. bewitched

bewitched PetForums VIP

All been sleeping on and off in a pile for the last half hour so decided to move them up Jo the small hamster cage. Still all going ok. Ernie is going around cleaning everyone and Bert has temporarily been distracted by some food he found :rolleyes:

Permitting all goes well I'll leave them in this cage now until tomorrow and take it from there. Sorry just whittering away to myself, can you tell I'm excited :lol:

14. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Sounds like all is going well, remember don't rush things I'd be inclined to keep them in the hamster cage for at least 3 days or so to bond because they are in a small cage with no where to run and get away. So it's like forced bonding.

15. xkimxo

xkimxo PetForums Senior

Aww sounds like its going well :). I do my intros different though. I put them in the shower (it's the size of a bath though) to meet eachother, I do that for about a week, try them in a carrier then pop em in a fully clean cage either freddy, Mary or where they are going to live depending on how I feel it'll go and they have limited or no toys then i go from there. Ive only had a couple failed bondings and only one bad one years ago where a rat needed a stitch which was totally my fault as I tried to put them in a cage together too soon :(. Will we be getting any pics? :)

16. bewitched

bewitched PetForums VIP

They were in a cute pile just before but the babies have the inabilty to stay still for long. It's a good job Bert and Ernie don't mind being trampled on by little feet :lol:

[​IMG]

17. bewitched

bewitched PetForums VIP

Boys are still getting along ok. Bert made me laugh last night when he picked up a nut, went over to the babies and dropped it right in front of them. Like if was saying, here, you can have this :lol:

They haven't slept in a big rattie pile yet but are sleeping very close together. I really had convinced myself it was going to be so much more traumatic than this :D

18. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

This is excellent news.
    I bet your so glad you got these two boys.

19. bewitched

bewitched PetForums VIP

Very glad I got my boys and I am in no way already thinking about more....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice