Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

rat coat issue

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by manic rose, Mar 25, 2011.

1. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

HELP! am really worried about 2 of my rats - Moz and Cooper. over the past few days have noticed some red marks on their skin. coopers coat looks a little thin and poor Moz even has a couple of bald spots around the back of his neck. however Biffys coat looks perfectly fine - really full and no red marks. am wondering if he is over-grooming the other two? they are only about 2 months old and he is already noticably bigger than them and saw the other night he is fairly rough when he grooms them. they all feed fine and dont fight, really dont want to have to split them up :( please help - is the first time have owned rats.

2. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Sounds like it could be barbering. My first thought was mites but patches from the back of the neck sounds like one rat is doing it to the other, whereas mite bites are little red scabs under the chin and neck.

I don't see any need to separate, but perhaps keep a close eye on them and make a noise to discourage the barbering rat from doing so? Or make sure they have something distracting in the cage to keep them busy?

3. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

change their toys about every day and will play with them in the morning and evening and whenever have some free time. they arent that confident yet venturing out on the floor tho so no real free ranging yet :(

4. u-look-like-a-hamster

u-look-like-a-hamster PetForums VIP

I would say that it could be either rough play or over grooming, If it is bleeding or an open wound bathe it with Sea salt water and keep a close eye on them :)
    x

5. spoiled_rat

spoiled_rat PetForums Senior

The usual symptoms of mites (scabs) are not caused by biting, but by the rat's nails when scratching themselves :)

6. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Aye that's what I meant but I was high on Sudafed at the time hehe :D

7. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

tried this last nite and Biffy would stop when I did so hopefully a little while of doing this and he will learn. really dont think he means any harm as they all play together and sleep together just fine. is hard to know where to draw the line between normal grooming and when he is doing harm...

8. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

couple of pics - first one is Cooper's coat looking a bit thin and second shows the marks round Moz's neck

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. spoiled_rat

I would treat for mites just to be on the safe side.

10. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

they are only about 2 months old, is it safe to do so and what product would you recommend?

11. spoiled_rat

12. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

13. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

btw...how do rats get mites? am i doing something wrong with my ratties?

14. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

All rats have mites permanently, it's only when they become stressed by something that their immune system becomes weakened and the mites sort of take over and start really bothering them. Don't blame yourself, they all have 'em!

15. spoiled_rat

Mites are endemic, and all rats have them, however they only cause problems usually when the rat has got a slightly compromised immune system for whatever reason (be it long term or short term), and having an allergic reaction (and subsequent itching) because of the proteins released by the dead mites, as they go through their life cycle and decompose.

16. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

phew! thanks Argent, have only had them a couple of weeks so could have been the stress of moving to a new home maybe?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice