Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rat care ???

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Jim-bob97, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Jim-bob97

Jim-bob97 PetForums Newbie

Basically I wanna get 2 male rats. Erm I work 7-5 then I would come home and spend the evening bonding with them. But with my new job comes standby so i might not be home all that night. No how can I get round this? Like once a week this would happen, but I might not get called out at all. Cheers j

2. PepaCub

PepaCub PetForums Junior

We all have to work - so this shouldn't be too much a problem as long as they have a large secure cage with plenty to do in there. Ideally you would have two water bottles incase one stops working before you can check it - and depending on the heat of your place - make a plan to either keep it warm or keep it cool.

Also, perhaps consider giving your keys to a friend or neighbour who wouldn't mind popping in to check them during the day or it you couldn't come home for a late shift or whatever. That way it can put your mind to rest when you need it - and they can stay safe.

Good luck.

3. MuddyRats

MuddyRats PetForums Junior

To add to what PepaCub said: Your rats will most likely adjust to your schedule and sleep whilst you're at work, so you shouldn't have too much to worry about. As long as you spend some quality time with your rats when you get home, they should be fine.

If you find that they're awake during the day, you can provide them with stimulation so that they won't get bored. That means making sure they have plenty of toys and such. Nuts in their shell are great and will keep them busy for a few hours in a cinch, but I wouldn't recommend feeding them daily.

4. My Rodent Kingdom

My Rodent Kingdom PetForums Newbie

Rats are nocturnal so they only really come out to play at night dawn and dusk. However some rats are awake during the day and sleep during the night, like my 5 males for example. They like the day more than the night but it's a pain because im still a student. So I just get them out for extra long during the Times I am free.

5. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

[
    Rats are awake naturally at dawn and dusk yep, but this is called crepuscular not nocturnal.

However as said above, practically all rats will adjust to their human's activity schedule, for maximum interaction. So you really don't need to worry, @Jim-bob97 :)

horsey10 and anachronism like this.
  6. Virgo66

Virgo66 PetForums Newbie

I have two rats of my own and I cannot spend all my time with them. But since they have each other they don't get lonely and entertain each other while I'm not with them. So as long as you have a pair and give them attention whenever you can and before work they should be fine.

7. TheWitcher

TheWitcher PetForums Junior

This isnt an issue me and my partner have 25 rats and we're both not around during the day

It's normal

Just make sure they have a decent sized cage to run around in with a lot of toys for stimulaton

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice