Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rat advice please

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by sam123, Aug 18, 2009.

1. sam123

sam123 PetForums Newbie

I have 2 beautiful female rats that are 16 months old, but unfortunately one of them has developed two tumors, today we are going to the vets to find out what can be done. I know this is very common in rats and therefor im looking for advice on
    1) how successful is having the tumors cut out?
    2) if inoperable how long could they live?
    3) One rat all alone? what next? get another or live alone?

I know theres no way of knowing the answers to the above questions but i would love to hear from anyone whos been through this, what worked best for you?
    Thanks all

2. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

It depends on the individual rat. None of mine have survived being operated on, and ones I have left with tumours have still lived a long and happy life. HOWEVER! I know rats that have survived operations and lived long and happy lives afterwards.

Usually when they are operated on they'll just grow back.

How long they'll live if unoperable depends on if the tumour is benign or not. I've had rats live 6-8 months after developing a tumour without it affecting them atall.

For the last question.... it depends on you! If I had one old lone rat I personally would get 2 young females and put them together with the old rat, that way when the old rat dies, the 2 young'uns still have eachother :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

#2 Akai-Chan, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  3. sam123

sam123 PetForums Newbie

Thankyou Akai-Chan

My healthy rat is so sociable i would hate to think of her all alone, she loves being around people and is very mischievous, she loves to play and cuddle with her friend at night.

I read on the internet (like we all do) that all female rats have between a 40 and 70% chance of getting tumors but that if they are spayed it brings the risk down to just 4%. Anyone had their rats spayed?

4. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

To be honest I wouldn't risk the spaying as it involved going inside the body to remove all the relevant bits which is a lot higher risk to the rat (shock, infection etc). To be honest tumours are a thing you just have to expect and deal with. Rats can live long happy lives with non removed tumours, and Like I said before I have had rats live many months with tumours.

Having a lone rat is never good but if you want rats afterwards you might aswel get some more young ones that will still have eachother once your other 2 pass :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

5. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

i agree with akai.

i wouldn't bother getting the lumps removed as it's a waste of money more often than not. Once your rats had one lump it will likely get another one if the first one is removed. If it is cancerous then it will grow quickly and you will need to have your rattie put down.. i would do this as soon as you know it's cancer tbh. as the rate of growth is usually very fast (visible growth from day to day even morning to afternoon in some cases!) which isn't pleasant for the rat no matter where it is located. Rattie will also be feeling down in the dumps and lethargic/ill so isn't pleasant for it no matter how fast it grows.

if it is benign then i would leave it alone, it will grow slowly over the months and you can have rattie put down when she is no longer able to move around the cage well, until then she will ignore said lump and her cage mate and new friends will help her keep it clean.

hope your rat is ok :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice