Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rash on tummy ? Grass

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Redice, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

My Puppy has had a red rash on his tummy with pus filled spots. The grass is very long everywhere we go at the moment. I have also discover some fleas on him. They have now been dealt with using Stronghold and spraying the house and I have kept him off the long grass as much as possible for a few days. On the whole the rash is not so angry looking although there are still some pus filled spots. It doesn't seem to bother him at all, he doesn't lick or bite at his tum.
    I have ordered some Ekoneem neem oil to soothe and protect his tum and meanwhile washing his tum down with diluted Apple Cider Vinegar after he has been out.
    Has anyone any further suggestions on helping him?

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I'm no vet but it seems like more than a rash to me - I wouldn't expect long grass or fleas to create pus filled spots, and certainly not several days later. Of course I could be wrong, but I'd be popping him along to the vet if he were mine.

Redice likes this.
  3. Cboren15

Cboren15 PetForums Newbie

I know this is a little late, but i wanted to add something in case this is still going on. I work in a veterinary clinic and we see rashes similar to the one that you are describing. We normally prescribe some Genta-spray. This is a topical antibiotic spray that contains anti-inflammatory medicine. Hope this helps

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

When we had Amber she sometimes had them on her legs, we use Tea Tree Cream on her, but before you try anything yourself I'd him checked out by a vet just in case it's something nasty.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

My lot get covered in this when they've been in brambles, sensitive little souls with thin belly fur.

LoopyL likes this.
  6. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

Vet nurse said it was most likely the fleas causing the tummy skin to be more sensitive than usual and thus reacting to the grass. He is much better now, I found that CSJ skinny cream really helpful for soothing it.

7. LoopyL

LoopyL PetForums VIP

Lupin used to get a rash + pus filled spots from running thru young nettles as she has very little fur on her chest & tum

Redice likes this.
  8. vauxandjames

vauxandjames PetForums Newbie

we've had some rashy heads recently, I put it down to grass and pollen but I suppose it could be a food allergy. Have you changed foods recently?

9. vauxandjames

vauxandjames PetForums Newbie

I would leave it until the pollen season passes and see if it clears on its own

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice