Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rargh! Lead Biting!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by BubsyBear, May 30, 2010.

1. BubsyBear

BubsyBear PetForums Member

I don't know what she was thinking today. When we first got Tribs she used to bite her lead. We stopped this by taking the attitude of "you're not going anywhere til you stop"
    Earlier today she started up again big style. She was jumping up and grabbing it and then biting and tugging. I stopped and blanked her til she stopped, then said good girl and walked off again. After a wile she got the message.
    I just got back from her last walk of the day, and she was the worst she's ever been. She was jumping up and leaning on me, then grabbing the lead and shaking it and pulling it really really hard. (She did this crossing a main road) I stopped when she did this and ignored her apart from turning my back on her when she jumped up. It took me half an hour to walk a couple of metres. Then she went really crazy and started biting my sleeves and the strap of my bag. I'm really strict on not letting her do this as this was another thing she used to do when we first got her.
    In the end I caved in and just grabbed her collar, ignored her and walked home as quickly as possible.
    Sorry to waffle but I'm so tired from that walk and frustrated because I don't know why she did it and what I should have done :(

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Not had any experience of this myself - but didn't want to read and run ;)

Have you tried taking a raggy toy to distract her with or giving her a toy to carry for those times you are unable to ignore the behaviour or are getting fustrated.
    I know I would really struggle to keep my patience.

3. emilia1984

emilia1984 PetForums Newbie

About three weeks after we got Zico (when he was about 6.5 months - not sure how old your dog is?), he started to do the same as you described - biting the lead, tugging on it, jumping up, pulling it, and once he also grabbed my sleeves and ripped one of my jumpers. He also bit and pulled his lead when my partner's Mum walked him, so I knew it wasn't just me he did it to. Zico never did this with my partner.

I found that I was getting more and more upset when we went out walking, especially as nothing could seemingly stop him biting the lead. It was also especially mortifying when we passed other people who's dogs were walking impeccably!

On the occasion when Zico grabbed my sleeves, and once we'd gone home, I took a step back and worked out that this wasn't how I wanted to walk my dog! I contacted a behaviourist, who suggested that I withdraw from doing the walking, and let my partner do it for a short time.

In the meantime, I worked on upping the basic training I was doing with Zico, mainly in the house, I guess to try and build our relationship up a bit more.

We also changed a few things:

- Zico had a fabric lead when he came to us, which was the lead he used to bite/pull etc. The behaviourist suggested that we change it for a chain lead in the short term, as Zico would less likely want to bite/pull it.

- We used to play rope tuggy with Zico quite often, and we wondered if this game was assisting him in 'tugging' and pulling the lead, so we got rid of the rope tuggy in the short term too.

- I found that when he would bite/pull/tug his lead, all of my 'no's' had no effect - if anything they seemed to gee him up! So I perfected an 'ow' sound when he bit/pulled/tugged, as in 'Ow, that is really, really hurting me' (even though it wasn't), I guess similar to how people suggest puppies are taught not to bite. The next time we went out and he did it, I did my 'ow' and it stopped him dead in his tracks - I think it was probably more curiosity on his part that stopped him!

So.... I can probably say we don't know exactly what helped stop the issue when we had it. But, Zico is as good as gold when we walk him now. So much so, that about three weeks ago, we bought a new fabric lead, which he's been absolutely fine with.

And also, I completely understand how you are feeling right now. Me, being the drama-queen that I am :D, had started to think that Zico and I would never be able to walk calmly together and that I'd always have to have my partner with me etc etc, but two months later, the situation is completely different and we both enjoy lovely, long, stress-free walks.

Sorry, have gone on a bit :D

Fleur likes this.
  4. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

You can get chain leads with a fabric handle, I use this until the puppy grows out of her teething/lead biting stage.

If you want to take a more hands on approach then use a attention getter, squeaky toy etc

xx

5. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Very good advice:thumbup:

6. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Thank you!! x

7. BubsyBear

BubsyBear PetForums Member

Thanks for that, I'm due a trip to P@H (nearly out of food so she's having to have raw meat, poor thing! :D) so will track down a chain lead.
    She has a Kong Wubba that she likes to carry in the park but for some reason I didn't think of that when she's walking on the roads where this happened, d'oh! Thanks everyone, will let you know if this works!

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Or you can get a chain lead with a leather handle. The chain lead worked instantly with a dog I fostered who was a lead-biter.

9. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Have you had chance to get a new chain lead?
    How are you getting on?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice